1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God hate the Sinner?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jstrickland1989, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Really? So since being saved, you haven't sinned? I'm saved, and I sin all too often.

2. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

In other words, when I become a Christian God doesn't look at me as a sinner anymore. He sees the blood that has covered my sin.

James

3. jstrickland1989

Sure, I may sin, but the blood has covered those sins.

James

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you sin, you're a worker of iniquity (one who does something sinful). Scripture makes no exception to that as far as hate is concerned.

Just to be clear, I'm not one of those people who believe God hates the sinner. He does not. He has no love for the sin, but he does not withhold his love from any person on earth.

5. jstrickland1989

But it does make distinction between the believer and the sinner.

Are you also one of those people that believe some verses, but don't believe others?

James

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Verses used by the "God hates" folks don't make any distinction between the lost person and the saved person.
    Nope. I take scripture as a whole. Scripture as a whole doesn't have God loving some, and withholding his love from others.

7. jstrickland1989

I'm not a "God hates" folk. I'm just bringing up the question. The Bible says that God hates. I don't know what you want me to say. When we become Christian, Christ's blood has been shed for us, and God no longer looks at our sins. But when we are not saved, there is no forgiveness of sin, and therefore God is looking on us as "workers of iniquity."

Well then do you take some verses in whole in some not in whole?

James

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

But, scriptuer does not say God wihhold his love. The words in Hebrew and Greek infers disliking and loathing, but not a withholding of love. That inference is strictly an English one, infused into our comprehension of "hate". So, to be scripturally accurate, God dislikes the one who sins, but still loves them.

This transformation of us due to our salvation is a condition of our hearts. We're no longer slaves to our sinful nature. We still possess a sinful nature, and still succomb to it, and therefore still sin, but our hearts belong to God.

The verse that referrs to workers of iniquity is referring to actions, not a person's heart. Hence, the verse applies to both the lost and the saved. But since we know that God loves us regardless, we need not fear this verse.
    Of course not.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then according to you God is a murderer! </font>[/QUOTE]Well, God is God. He's not one of us. If god chose to hate, then thats the end of it. But if we hate, it is as if we comitted murder. God and man are not on the same level.

James
    </font>[/QUOTE]So, we believers (who have been made in God's image), have the "mind of Christ", and Christ says that whoever hates (personally) is a murderer ...and we are to love EVEN our enemies... but God can hate and not love His enemies? God tells us to do one thing...and holds us to higher standards than He Himself has just because He is God? Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. If God tells all men we are not allowed to hate others...it is clear that He does not either.

10. preacher

preacher New Member

Actuall it is refering to the heart. Aperson as I stated before that has no regard for God, man, & not even himself. It's a type that wouldn't change IF they were capable of it. A totaly depraved heart.

11. jstrickland1989

Then according to you God is a murderer! </font>[/QUOTE]Well, God is God. He's not one of us. If god chose to hate, then thats the end of it. But if we hate, it is as if we comitted murder. God and man are not on the same level.

James
    </font>[/QUOTE]So, we believers (who have been made in God's image), have the "mind of Christ", and Christ says that whoever hates (personally) is a murderer ...and we are to love EVEN our enemies... but God can hate and not love His enemies? God tells us to do one thing...and holds us to higher standards than He Himself has just because He is God? Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. If God tells all men we are not allowed to hate others...it is clear that He does not either.
    </font>[/QUOTE]My reasoning makes perfect sense. If God didn't absolutely despise the sinner on judgment, how could he send the sinner to hell? And plus, my reasoning is from the Bible. God is God. I don't want to try to play God in any way.

James

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I beg to differ. It referrs to a "worker" of iniquity, not a person of iniquity. The word "worker" attributes physical action, not spiritual condition.

I am, by admission, guilty of being a worker of iniquity from time to time.

13. jstrickland1989

No, John, you used to be a "worker of iniquity." Now you're a child of the king. The blood has covered your sins and God cannot see the sins,but the blood. While we need to confess our sins as Christians, the sins we committ will not send us to hell.

James

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sorry, I disagree. In fact, I was a worker of iniquity this morning. I broke the speed limit and ran a red light to get to work on time.

15. jstrickland1989

There is nothing to disagree on. If the blood was not good enough to wash away your sins, then it cannot save you from hell. Remember in Matthew 7:22-23 it says "depart from me, ye workers of iniquity." He's not talking to Christians there. He's talking to workers of iniquity (sinners).

James

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The blood was indeed good enough to wash away my sins. I was still a worker of iniquity this morning.

17. jstrickland1989

Also, in Matthew 7:22-23 the word "knew" is talking about affection or love. So basically, God is saying, I never loved you or had affection for you, so therefore depart from me.

James

18. jstrickland1989

So what is going to happen when you get to judgment? Is God going to look at you and say "depart from me", because you're a worker of iniquity? Matthew just proves that God is not talking about the saved individual.

James

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What is going to happen to me when I get to judgement? I'm going to be judged according to my works, as will all who are saved.

20. jstrickland1989

You're not going to be judged by your works. God is going to either look and you and say well done, or depart. Works has nothing to do with salvation.

James