1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God have a detailed plan for our individual lives?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Life with God, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not tell me why I do something. You do not know me or my motives. Such rhetoric is simply a sophomoric defense of poor behavior. But you go ahead and beat your chest some more. It is your credibility.

2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

No, we cannot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Internet Theologian

Hi Life with God. When you get a chance read this and the link. It is an excellent biblical response.

https://www.baptistboard.com/threads/gods-detailed-plan-for-our-lives-hearing-god.96963/

• Like Like x 1
  4. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you would be the expert of it being a "sophmoric" defense of poor behavior since you do it all the time. And I know you in the sense of the fruit you bear...one particularly being discord. You have proven that by offering nothing to the discussion at hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Life with God

Life with God New Member

Thank you very much for the link, Internet Theologian - it looks promising. Why not post that post in this thread? :)

And a big thank you to everyone else for all the posts so far - I really appreciate the lively activity in this thread! Except for the bickering, which isn't a good activity for us believers... I have read everything with interest and I am thinking hard about much of it now.
    There are many, many things in older posts which I had planned to respond to but I feel that I am choking on that ambition now when I have slipped so far behind already. Sorry about that...

6. Internet Theologian

Thanks LWG. The link is sort of long so I made that thread to discuss it. It's worth the read though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sadly RT...it does look like that is what he is doing because when he is pressed for an answer...it almost always never comes....I think in the last few years I saw 3 maybe 4 times where he tried to answer.
    people complain about this kind of posting, but it has to be addressed and exposed before it goes away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I wouldn't want to refute Scripture. :) But I will say this. Theology from Job is iffy. It's a record of the life of Job, including five men talking about life and God and so forth, and then God answering Job. Now much of what those five men say is mistaken. The inspired Word is a faithful record of their errors (just as it is a faithful record of the infamy of Satan's words in the same book), but that does not mean that everything said is revelation (though the record is inspired).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

This is a denial of Gods attributes....this is sad. the god you describe needs to learn something!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Who, me? I didn't describe God.

Oh, I see, you were quoting someone I have on ignore. The old software showed what the person on ignore said in such a case, but this software blocks it.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello JOP
    read vans post.....here

John......God knows....He does not need to learn...I do not understand anyone even suggesting such an idea.

#51 Iconoclast, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, okay, got it. I think I'll keep him on ignore. O O

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    lol....I try to be patient...but this kind of error is beyond anything orthodox.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the way I put it: The issue is God told David Saul would do something and that something did not happen because David choose to leave. Thus God's knowledge is at least in part contingent upon the decisions of men. Please address that issue.

Lets consider your hypothesis, that God knew David would leave and thus Saul would not do what God said Saul would do. Could God be mistaken? Nope. Could God be lying? Nope. Therefore your assertion does not mesh with the passage. The only viable view is God's knowledge is at least in part contingent upon the decisions of men.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You speak God-dishonoring rubbish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Job 42:1,2 is certainly not "mistaken." It is in the closing chapter after the Lord has revealed Himself to Job and told him the truth regarding everything he and his friends discussed. There is absolutely nothing "iffy" about it whatsoever. Have confidence in God's Word.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what I would have to agree. The theology found in Job is iffy....especially the theology of his friends. But I agree with Rippon, chapter 42 records Job's response after an encounter with God and the truth...which is really what the whole Bible was authored by, those who encountered God and the truth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say God needs to learn something? Nope. So yet another material false statement from those that slander with impunity. I do not deny any of God's attributes. More slander but no quote.

Did Mr. Iconoclast explain how God could say "A" would happen and then not happen? Nope. So yet another sidestep of scripture and an appeal to speculation. Go figure.

Folks, none of them (JOJ, Icon, or Mr. Rippon) have an answer so they disparage me. Any one can post taint so.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we have two opposing views. Consider that God desires all to be saved, yet all are not saved. Thus if God's will is to compel saving faith in those of His choosing, everyone would be saved. But if God desires we all would be saved, but according to His plan of accepting those whose faith and devotion to Christ is whole-hearted, then we can say God desires all to be saved according to His purpose and plan which is not compulsion.

Thus we have numerous passages, like 1 Timothy 2:4, which preclude exhaustive determinism.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God has not planned to save everyone

• Like Like x 1