1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God react, relent or change in response to man?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is, the very thing you are using to show His actions are anthropomorphic is anthropomorphic in itself. God does not change in the way man changes. There is no contradiction, God does not change His mind in the manner man does, but that does not mean He doesn't change His mind or repent in a divine manner that pleases Him.

Is "believe and you will be saved" anthropomorphic as salvation occurs as a result of belief?

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will have to defend that definition from scripture. Of course the definition you offer is something that comes from your own view of lie/untruth, not scripture.

We know, through the pages of scripture, that God does, indeed, test people to garner a response. It is not a lie, it is a test.

God moves in many ways throughout the pages of scripture to garner a response. This is basic.

So, then how do you deal with Abraham being told to sacrifice Isaac? Was God lying to Abraham? If you take it that God was not testing Hezekiah, you must take it that God was not testing Abraham. Of course, the text itself tells us that God did test Abraham.

Definitely so. But it is the God to whom the prayer is made rather than the prayer itself or the man praying.

The Archangel

3. Osage Bluestem

An anthropomorphism is where God communicates things in a way that humans can understand.

When he says "I do not change" he is saying that he isn't surprised, he doesn't learn, he is the greatest thing that can possibly be concieved. I do not change is a definitive statement about himself, not an anthromorphic overview.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    if you want to read more here it is.
    http://www.founders.org/journal/fj46/article3.html

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

What is the purpose of a test if God already knows our response?

Garner? Why doesn't God just command us to do what he wants us to do?

God also said "for NOW I know that thou fearest God, SEEING thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me."

Did God forget that he already knew how Abraham would respond?

Then why does God qualify that the person praying be righteous?

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

For us to learn something. and example to others. There's 2 purposes.
    Are you denying that God is omniscient?

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I said nothing about separating. Jesus is 100% God and 100% man. But how much communication there was is another topic of discussion. The point is, if you believe that God is omniscient, then He knew of the 15 years. If God didn't know of the 15 years, then he isn't omniscient. Omniscient means you have all(omni) knowledge(scient). If there is something that God doesn't know, then God doesn't have all knowledge.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

So, when we take a driver's test to get our license, it is to demonstrate to ourselves we can drive and not to the authorities? That makes no sense at all.

Are you calling God a liar?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

So, when we take a driver's test, it is to demonstrate to ourselves we can drive and not to the authorities? That makes no sense at all.

Are you calling God a liar?

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JBH28 had asked you if you are denying that God is omniscient. It's a rather straight-forward query. Do you believe that God is omniscient? Yes,or no?

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Don't be ridiculous. I didn't say that a test is NEVER for that reason. I was giving examples of why you could test a person other than for that reason.

No. Again I ask, is God omniscient? Yes or no

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am glad you think God always tells the truth. But if so you must concede that God did not know if Abraham truly feared God until Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac.

As far as God being omniscient, I believe he is. But at the same time I see scripture like Gen 22:12 that seems to indicate God does not know some things until they actually happen. I have my own theory on how these can both be true without contradiction, but I doubt you would accept it.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Massive inconsistency there Winman. So you think that God is omniscient --except when He's not. LOL

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

To be intellectually honest to Winman, you should at least give the entire quote and not edit it as you may want it to be.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didnt you go down this road before with Luke?

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Now, Rippon, I hope you are sitting down. I actually agree with your position of God knowing everything, even before they happen.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm into the essence of the matter. Winman cannot have it both ways.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not inconsistent whatsoever, what do the scriptures say?

Gen 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: FOR NOW I KNOW that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Can you read? When did God say he came to know that Abraham feared God?

I will tell you who is inconsistent, someone who claims to be a believer who does not believe what God said. That is inconsistent.

I don't always understand scripture, especially verses like Gen 22:12, but I believe it. That is consistent.

This does not make me ignorant either, some of the great theological minds have been confused by this verse, I am in good company.

Who is ignorant and hypocritical are those arrogant types who criticize others, while having no answers themselves. You cannot answer this verse any better than I can.

#98 Winman, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  19. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the attack has been commenced. Sad.

The Archangel

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

You'll get over it.

Thread Status: