1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does it really matter if you're a Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, Id never give a valued friend a frontal attack....I'd PM you if I had issue.:godisgood:

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Self Esteem? Self esteem originates from self. God esteems man in a pure and holy way and that originates from Him.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thank you, still and always, brother and friend. I apologize for misreading your intent.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words the Calvinists are right about Gods Sovereignty. Thank You!:thumbs:

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find the Bible to do a better job of theology. I am waiting for one of them to come up with a theology of evil considering 1 Sam 16:14-23.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Uh-oh. hot-button alert! New thread topic: Can you be humble and and have a superb self-esteem at the same time?

EWT, since you pushed the button, would you care to move this discussion to another thread. Probably the General Baptist section would be a good place for it.

#106 Tom Butler, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    naaaa, I will drop it....from what I understand Baptists dont have self esteem.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id say there is another good thread to start if you want discussion on it.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have and it is interesting to see the dance.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curious about your implication here. Are you saying that Arminians deny that God is sovereign?

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Balderdash !
    The point of the OP is right there !
    Calvinists, and consequently, those of the Doctrine of Grace persuasion are leading people to perdition, and your persuasion is the true God-leaning one.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Actually, everybody has it, and it comes naturally, and doesn't need to be taught.

Remember Jesus command to love the Lord our God, with all our heart, soul and mind, and to love our neighbor just like we love ourselves.

But we digress.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If I can return to the OP, the answer it yes, it does matter if you're a Calvinist. It matters if you're not one.

It matters because each soteriology contains certain assumptions, from which each presents the gospel.

For instance, non-Calvinists believe that God has given everyone free will, and the ability to make choices. They believe that as a result, it is possible to persuade men, starting with the preaching of the gospel, followed by any number of methods to get one to make a "decision" for Christ.

Calvinists believe that God employs all the means necessary to bring his elect to salvation--including the work of the Holy Spirit in illuminating, convicting, drawing and regenerating. Even repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ are gifts from God to his elect. Thus, the gospel is preached, the lost are exhorted to repent and believe, and the results left to the work of the Holy Spirit.

Let's don't get sidetracked here by a debate on the extent of the atonement. The point is that salvation is all of God and none of man. The debate is not over the ability to choose; it is over when that ability is given.

But that difference makes the difference in how each presents the gospel.

In fact, if you visit a church, but don't know whether the pastor is a Calvinist or a non-Cal, listen carefully to the exhortation (altar call, invitation). It will provide you enough for you to make a good guess. If no invitation is given, that's another clue.

Let me conclude this post by saying that God is not boxed in by our methods. Each soteriology can preach a pure gospel, and God is pleased to save the lost in Cal and non-Cal churches. But there is a difference in the way each calls men and women to Christ.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God love you Pino, doesnt it show the real hidden agenda?

#114 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, thank you for both your posts which adds credibility to our position...a breath of fresh air really. Strong & true Calvinism is both alive & well & living in the good ole US of A.:godisgood:

16. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Thank you Tom. Clear and concise, I like that. And if I might add: After all is said and done God calls, God Convicts, God Saves. So what does that mean....repentance is God's work not man's.

Peace and prayers

Jeff

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then tell me Brother, what is doctrine (DoG) & what are Confessions of Faith for? Why would anybody have even bothered to create them? I guess your implying that the Great Brothers of the Sovereign Faith should not have even bothered to assemble over pounding out doctrine & Confessions. They could have stayed home & watched cartoons.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Knowing the deep wonderful truths of the scriptures is for the benefit/joy of the Saints."

Isn't that enough reason to know the truth?

Or is it that you believe as Skandelon that correct head knowledge is what determines whether one will burn in hell for all eternity or not?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I know your trying to be pure & that I really complement you for.....but please do not compare me to a Skandalon (Stumbling Block). Im not into head knowledge, rather God's truth. Remember that the Brethren had to meet in order to distance themselves from past apostasy & heresy so there is reasons why The Confessions & certain doctrines exist, otherwise we would also be following false teachings.

now Im no theologian nor am I even an elder or a pastor. But I know we are distinct in our theology, which has labored for years to provide Gods truth in reverence & humility....so brother, why would we not point to those things?

#119 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 4, 2011
  20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you are majoring on the minors here. Everything I have comes from God. Our attitudes should be as Paul's, "If I'm to boast, I will boast in Christ"....regardless of what the USMC teaches you :)

#120 webdog, Feb 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.