1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does man have a spirit?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing you have offered is biblical. It is all philosophy. And this contrary to the Scripture you have been given. You just claim God's Word does not count pre-fall.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I’ll read this for sure. Very intriguing. As I’ve mentioned before, I wrestled at Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga. I love studying various forms of wrestling. I’ve trained in Judo, Sambo, and Catch Wrestling. I’ve competed at various levels of submission wrestling tournaments but never boxed. I’ve glanced at it your paper- very nice .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    THE TOPIC IS DOES MAN HAVE A SPIRIT

[off topic comments removed]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [insults removed]
    The Dominion mandate:
    26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them,

Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

#64 Iconoclast, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2020
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, Enoch was conceived spiritually dead, in Adam

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God has Moses relate to us the story of man's fall into sin and death, both spiritual death, and physical death. It was not written as a biography of the complete life of Adam.

You know JonC, Moses was not there, so God had him write what we needed to know about sin, death both physical and spiritual, so we would understand the gospel properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If Adam was saved, he as a spiritually dead person would have to be born from above as any of the elect are. Gen 3;15 was the first recorded gospel promise. They did not seem to teach you much at that bible school...Enoch was after the fall, no one can be saved outside of Jesus.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

Adam was alive first both physical life and spiritual life. He had a spirit, it was not dead, or absent in order to die it was alive first. There was no death until sin entered. Hard for something to die that never was alive. You fail to understand Romans 5:12-21. We are told exactly when sin and death entered. [insult removed]
    The whole Christian world gets this. Every gospel tract speaks of it, everyone except you for some reason.

[provocative statement removed]

#68 Iconoclast, Feb 10, 2020
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Furthermore, you and ITL admit to the fact of spiritual death but do not offer anything about what scripture says was the door with which sin and death entered. It was the fall. There is no other place in scripture that describes the entry point.

[assumptions about other members removed]

#69 Iconoclast, Feb 10, 2020
  10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that Enoch walked with God does not mean Enoch always walked with God. All mankind has the same starting point. We are all sinners at birth. Sometime during his life, Enoch believed in God by faith. Scripture does not tell us when but it does not need to. We know enough about the human condition and the only remedy of that condition that it applies to every human being ever born, except Christ. The fact that scripture says Enoch walked with God was a testimony of Enoch's faithfulness after he came to faith.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We are not told much about Enoch but he was most likely one of the most spiritually obedient persons in all of scripture.
    5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony
    , that he pleased God.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pre-fall Adam was under the Covenant of Works. As long as Adam did not violate God's command not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, he would remain innocent of sin. The fruit of the Spirit that we see listed in Galatians 5:22-23 (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) are not specifically mentioned in Genesis 2, but all those attributes are consistent with Adam's pre-fall innocence. The same Holy Spirit that Paul wrote about was at work at creation and in sustaining Adam. It is also a deficient biblical theology that expects Old Testament narrative to reflect New Testament terminology.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize everything you have posted here is completely assumption, don't you?

The Spirit was at work in the OT. The Spirit was at work in the life of David. But this work is NOT spiritual life.

Scripture says Jesus is the Life. We cannot assume this only applies to the New Testament. We cannot view spiritual life as one thing when it suits our theology and revert back to Scripture when on common ground.

Either spiritual life is God's Spirit in us or it is something else. God is immutable. He was not temporary pre-fall only to become eternal post-fall.

Spiritual life is of the "imperishable seed.. You assume pre-fall it was not, but what is your evidence? It is not Scripture.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. Sorry I've allowed the topic to drift off topic so early on.

Per OP - the topic of this thread is not about Adam or "spiritual life" or "spiritual death". The topic is DOES MAN HAVE A SPIRIT?

Thus far every one who has contributed to the thread has answered without hesitation - yes, man has a spirit.

At the request of the OP - please limit responses to the topic of the OP and start another thread if anyone wants to discuss things like spiritual life, spiritual death, Adam pre-fall vs post-fall, etc.

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is the perfect example of why I save each and every one of my posts to Google docs, so if they are ever deleted I have proof I said I wrote. I will say no more.

#75 Reformed, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good idea. I actually use word to compose my posts when not on a phone and back them up for future reference.

BUT the point is BB rules state that we are to post ON TOPIC. @Iconoclast is right to point out that THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD IS DOES MAN HAVE A SPIRIT. Your post did not address this, but instead drifted into your view of pre-Fall Adam and a covenant of works. That is a good topic but you need to respect the topic at hand (do not hijack other people's threads).

I normally let "thread drift" go if it is later on in a thread and it is fine with the OP. But @Iconoclast pointed out the topic of the thread and you should be able to respect that.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BACK TO THE OP:

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Reformed ,

Please respect this thread. The topic is "does man have a spirit", NOT pre-fall Adam or the covenant of works. While the topic you are trying to introduce is interesting you should start a thread to discuss the topic - not hijack another one for your personal use. Per BB rules comments need to be on topic. I realize that there is room for "thread drift" but this is a fairly new thread and @Iconoclast (the author of the OP) has expressed a desire to keep it on topic.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this is a strawman thread (no Christian can deny that man has a spirit and still be Christian) it is closed. It serves no purpose but to generate heat and sidebar conversations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.