1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does omniscience require determonism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, May 14, 2024.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not going to sit through an hour of Leighton Flowers. Can you provide time stamps where an aswer is given?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I object to is these types of videos where you are pretending to debate someone on an earlier video as if you were there with them brilliantly refuting them at the time the video was made. But with that aside, at the 24 minute mark, I think what MacArthur is trying to say is that you can't just look ahead in time so to speak, without real input into what is going to happen and truly know that an event will happen. Now, the input I believe can be nothing more than mere permission or merely to allow a future event to go on to completion but the fact is you have to at least have that much control or determinism if you want to call it that.

The reason is that the only other way to know the future is to observe forces or objects moving and acting and then if they are not erratic you can calculate a future event. Like predicting an eclipse for example. People can do that.

But I do have to admit that if you really think about it, you could make the case that since humans are erratic and so changeable then there is no way even to give permission for an event they might do because of their unpredictability. That seems to be where they go in the following 10 minutes, although I haven't listened to all the video.

Personally, I have never thought much about the predestination aspect simply because I think even if it's true all the choices made are still real and still matter and I do believe in God having foreknowledge in the simple definition without the gyrations they go into later in the video. And when you think of it, the only objection to foreknowledge that Calvinists have I thought at least was that election was not based on foreknowledge of faith in the individual. But in that case the objection is based on things other than whether foreknowledge is the same as a decree.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election is based upon the purpose of God.

11 for the children being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth,
    17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might show in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth.
    18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth. Ro 9

"not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles" - v 24

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Omniscience requires determinism but not via divine decree.

Edwards wrote about this in that the Calvinist and Arminian churches should not be opposed because both believe everything is predestined or determined to occur as God knows it will occur (both holds divine omniscience and divine sovereignty to be true).

The difference is whether this is based on foreknowledge vs decree (whether God causes everything to occur or create knowing everything that would occur).

Arminianism holds the difference to be that God ordained everything that it would....not should but would....occur in opposition to God decreeing everything that will occur.

It depends on the logical order.

If God predestined those He foreknew then Arminianism is correct on that point.

If Hod foreknew those He then predestined then Calvinism is right on that point.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Peter 1:2, . . . Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience . . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    @37818 . 1 Peter 1:2 is not saying that election is based upon God's foreknowledge of who it is who will believe by their own autonomous decision according to their own free will. The verse is a good text for Calvinism because it has the elect being sanctified or separated out by the Spirit and sprinkled with the blood and they are passive in all that. The foreknowledge is because God is doing that, not because he is looking through a corridor of time and can perfectly see something he has no active involvement in.

The flaw in a foreknowledge that doesn't have some aspect of God's sovereign control over it is illustrated by that verse. Foreknowledge is either based on knowledge of some sure set of forces that are stable enough to predict the result, or, it is based on being sovereign over the result directly.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I was talking about with the difference between Arminianism (those He foreknew He predestined) and Calvinism (those He predestined He forknew).

There is an alternative Calvinistic position, but it is a bit convoluted (and I don't believe most linguists take it seriously). This is based on the use of "know" as an euphemism for sex. The idea is "foreknowledge" means knowing beforehand, but since "know" can mean sex and sex is a relational event between two people, and relational events can mean relationship then "foreknowledge" means having some type of relationship beforehand.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To many sub topics.
    Omniscience 8:30 - 8:52
    Now Flowers' conflates foreknowledge with foreseeing. 9:40 - 9:55. I am not a Calvinist and I have a problem with that.

Excerpts from three Calvinists. And Flowers' gives his commentary.

#10 37818, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure the distinction you are making

"Foreknowledge" means "to have previous knowledge of : know beforehand especially by paranormal means or by revelation".

Foreknowing and foreseeing are synonyms with the exception that foreseeing does not necessarily mean it will pass (and is often a word used in hindsight).

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foreknowing is of omniscience. Foreseeing is solely seeing a finite activity.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah.....like foreseeing could be based on experience with a situation ("I could forsee that happening").

Foreknowledge would be prescience.

14. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and do not find Flowers' explanation satisfactory. I do agree that Calvin himself, and not a few Calvinists go way too far in meticulous determinism. And Flowers is right in that we all, if we're honest, end up appealing to "mystery".

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sight is a type or means of knowing. Knowing or preknowing without the need of sight or foresight as such.

Omniscience is an all knowing. Whether as a finite, but an infinite not requiring anything else such as some kind of sight.

#15 37818, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's omniscience is infinite and absolute.

17. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems SOME measure of “determinism” (Divine Control) is required if God truly has “a Plan”. Knowing what will happen is useless if those events are outside of your control (like watching a movie for the third time does not make me the Director).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creation being finite requires a finite and temporal act. Ex nihilo creation requires infinite power even for a finite result.

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 1.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Omniscience is prescience applied to all.

When applied to who will be saved we are speaking not of all things but of who will be saved.

That said, God is omniscient and therefore everything has to be determined to occur as God knew it would occur before creation.

In salvation, those whom God foreknew He predestined.

This is not foreseeing as it is a knowledge rather than an event (God knows all).

• Agree Agree x 1