1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does omniscience require determonism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 37818, May 14, 2024.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as Calvinism goes, you make a good observation. Many Calvinists do not consider Jonathan Edwards a Calvinist because of this readon (his arguments concerning omniscience).

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 1:3-6, . . . Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Verse 4 is not about election. But how God knows everyone of us whom He saves. The election is conditional on hearing and believing the gospel. Ephesians 1:12-14.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

4. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah my main problem with Calvinism is that I do not believe in the meticulous level of determinism that I have to admit, many Calvinists do adhere to. I am satisfied with a level of sovereignty where God accomplishes his primary will by a combination of foreknowledge and a level of determinism he deems necessary. I believe that people truly act against God's will for them, freely, and yet are accomplishing God's overall decreed plan. Like Joseph's brothers, Pharoah, Judas, the Roman government and on and on. I also believe that those folks, if they had obeyed God willingly things would have worked out differently for them and most importantly, I believe that they really could have chosen to obey God rather than do what they did. So, cut another corner off my Calvinist card I guess.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, of course, have more problems with it.

That said, we also have to recognize how what we call "Calvinism" came about.

It arose out of a philosophical disagreement within Calvinism itself.

Arminius could not escape that if God is the root cause of every thing, every event, then God is the cause of evil. Then we have Dort and the divide grew more and more over time.

Calvinism, in the way we speak of it, was a philosophical reaction to a philosophical disagreement over divine sovereignty and free-will.

It is natural that each camp would drift further apart. Reactionary doctrine always works this way. And, typically, the more extreme positions within each sect will be used to stereotype the whole.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1