1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Protestant America in ANY way resemble YHWH-Elohim?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bismarck, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

The homosexual capital of the world, San Francisco, is in America.

America is a weak nation, whose 50 States combined, together, cannot defeat halves of third world states -- half of Korea (the North, not even all of it), half of Vietnam (the North, not even all of it), Iraq (just Iraq, not Syria which is controlled by the same Ba'athist "Resurgence" Party).

So, in what way does Protestant America still resemble God-like-ness?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I'm not sure "Protestant America", whatever that is, ever resembled "God-like-ness". This country, like all other countries, is guilty of many sins (slavery, stealing land from the natives, abortion, homosexuality, pride, etc). The United States of America is a country like any other and, like in other countries, each person will be judged by his/her own personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Btw...I find it interesting that you left out many wars that America has done very well in. The reasons we are having trouble in Iraq are political and not military. Our military could roll over Iraq tonight if they were allowed to do so.

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Thank you, Martin. Right on target.

This nation never has resembled YHWH-Elohim. We were once a nation of Christians, but that is long gone.

The best we can hope for now is the Rapture.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So is the evangelical capital, Colorado Springs.

So I guess South Dakota if half a state? Or North Carolina? How 'bout West Virginia? Is it not now a full state in its own right?

What, pray tell, is "Protestant America"? We have no national religion.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We rightly have no government mandated religion - a state church - but we have been mostly a nation of professed Christians although the evidence of that in public view seems to be rapidly diminishing. We seem shy to even proclaim ourselves a Christian nation out of fear we might insult those among us - rightly free to believe and practice what they wish - who are not. On the one hand, we seem to desire a completely secular public society, yet on the other, one that embraces
    every other belief save Christianity. We seem to desire that Christianity be confined within the walls of churches one day per week with no mention in any other venue. This seems very obvious even in my own lifetime.

6. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

If? If??

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The fact is, our military isn't "being allowed to" do whatever. You see? America's military might be strong "on paper", as they say, "in theory"...

in theory...

but not in practice.

Once upon a time, America won all of its wars. Let's do the run-down, shall we:

War of Independence, 1776, WIN
    War of 1812, 1812, WIN
    Mexican-American War, 1846-48, WIN
    Spanish-American War, 1898, WIN
    WW1, 1917-18, WIN
    WW2, 1941-45, WIN
    Korea, 1950-53, Draw
    Vietnam, 1964-75, Loss
    Iraq 1, 1991, Draw (ended in a cease-fire, Saddam still in power)
    Iraq 2, 2003-2007++, Draw/stalemate

You see a pattern? All the wars we won, we won over 60 years ago! This nation has not won a war, has not had a legitimate ticker-tape parade, in over 60 years! This nation does not even know what winning a war looks like anymore!

"In theory", USA = hyperpower. Ooooh.. Ahhhh.

"In practice", 50 "first world" States of USA is lucky to draw against half of one third world state.

Afterwrit:

W. VA is technically a state. So are S. Dakota and N. Carolina. W. Va might credibly be called half a state cause it was broken off in the Civil War, but N. Carolina fought the Red Coats as Colony State (!). Whatever, we're splitting hairs. The point is, this Union is a Union of 48-50 self-sovereign states joined together in a "United States". And all ~50 States together, joining hands, cannot put down rebellions in halves of third world nations like Korea, Vietnam, and sanctions-crippled Iraq.

On paper is on paper.

N. Korea has nukes and long range missiles.
    Vietnam is all Communist.
    Violence in Iraq is killing hundreds and maiming thousands.

Our soldiers on the ground don't see no stinking "hyperpower".

YHWH-Elohim is not "coulda woulda shoulda". God is not God "in theory on paper, but not in practice". Therefore, the USA's "in theory but not practice" potence does not resemble YHWH-Elohim.

#6 Bismarck, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  7. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

America, all by itself, ended slavery. It took 1.2 million casualties to do it, but all by ourselves, we ended slavery. America collectively can't be blamed there.

The Puritans, staunch Calvinist Protestants from the line of Oliver "Ironsides" Cromwell, paid the natives for their land. Sometimes maybe not enough, or we monkeyed with the terms of the contract...

But the bottom line is, wealth flowed from the Puritans to the natives in exchange for land.

That is a far cry from what the Catholic Conquistadors did down in Latin America (get it?), where they took land and wealth from the natives, as well as their freedom and lives.

If America is guilty of stealing land from the natives, all of Latin America, Spain, Portugal, and the Roman Catholic Church should feel deathly ashamed.

Guilty guilty guilty!! That's all anybody ever yells at Americans. You're evil you're guilty feel ashamed look down be meak shut up don't talk you're guilty!

And Americans take it, and even dis it out to themselves! They self-castrate! You don't even have to fight Americans to put them down, just all the hot air of guilt tripping them talks them out of a fight.

That does not resemble Exodus 15:3.

It's just weak and soft.

Protestant Christian America, founded by Puritans, Quakers, and Anglicans, but all Protestants, used to be tough, used to be a winning nation.

Today, it's chalk full of Catholics who pour into this nation with the help of Rome...
    Catholics are about to become the majority Christian sect...
    and Catholicized USA = wuss loser panzy nation.

It was Oliver Cromwell who was called "Ironsides".
    It was Adolphus Gustavus II who was called "The Lion of the North".
    James I and Charles I Stuart were both homosexuals, and allied to Catholics.
    Nobody gets what I'm saying.

The rise of the homosexual community in America, as a numerical statistic (# queers in USA), has tracked the rise of Catholicism in America, as a numerical statistic (# Catholics in USA, % of Christians in USA that are Catholics, etc). Homosexuality and Catholicism are, statistically, "positively correlated". Statistical fact.

Nobody gets what I'm saying.

I vote for Cromwell, Gustavus, and Protestantism.

#7 Bismarck, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Your anti-Catholic ranting loses you points. You must be reading too many Chick tracts.

As for your correllation, there is also a correlation between girls who have drunk milk and those who have gotten pregnant. So what?

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

==O, yes it can. Slavery was an issue back during the second constitutional convention and it was an issue shortly after Washington took office as president. Both times it was decided that nothing should be done. Yea, they had their reasons and some of those reasons were legitimate concerns, but the fact remains that slavery was something that this country (mainly the south) was guilty of for many, many years. We can go from the colonial times all the way up through the antebellum period and the Civil War. Slavery was a reality in this country and this country is guilty of that horrible crime. Period. Denying the sin does not remove the sin.

The logic you are using above would be like saying that if America outlawed abortion tomorrow that the country could not be "collectively can't be blamed" since the country ended it "all by itself". That logic does not work with abortion and it certainly does not work with the sin of slavery in early America.

==Yes, some did pay (William Penn (Quaker), Roger Williams (Separatist) worked out a deal, etc) but not all. You should examine Roger Williams arguments on this when he was in Massachusetts Bay.

==I doubt many of the natives viewed what happened to them in that positive of light. Yes there were natives who made deals with the English and made money off those deals (Massasoit at Pokanoket is one example). However there were others who did not like the results of those deals (King Philip: son of Massasoit).

==You think that did not happen in America? What about the natives who were kidnapped and taken to Europe as slaves? What about the Africans who were bought to America as slaves? My point is not to bash America, this is a great country, but simply to say that we have always been far from sinless. We have certainly never been a "Christian" nation. That is because the Bible does not teach such an idea and because many times America's behavior has been far from Christian. Just look to the comments of John Wesley, William Wilberforce, or John Newton on slavery in England and America.

==I am not pulling America down. I am citing actual historical events. You can deny history until you are blue in the face but that does not change its facts. Part of weakness, by the way, is denying the facts.

==The Puritans had New England for sure but there system was far from perfect. Again I point you to the arguments made by Roger Williams.

==That is highly questionable. Quoting stats is rarely proof of anything. There is a book out there about "lying with statistics" you know. To prove that the rise of Catholicism in America is connected to the rise of homosexuality you will have to provide solid evidence. Actually, I would argue, that the rise of homosexuality in America is more closely connected to the rise of secularism, post-modernism, and individualism. I would base this, in part, on Romans 1 and the fact that the homosexual movement is firmly ground in each of the things I mentioned above.

10. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!.......