1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Salvation In Scripture Always Refer To Eternal?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Aug 2, 2018.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

We can all agree this is without a doubt is referring to eternal Salvation, but what about this one?

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Question, in verse twelve the Apostle Paul is telling these brethren that they have always obeyed, he also emphasizes they already have Salvation, not only do they have it, its their own... You don't work it to get or because you might lose it, you work it to get the blessing and benefits from it... From the pen of John Gill

work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
    which is to be understood not in such a sense as though men could obtain and procure for themselves spiritual and eternal salvation by their own works and doings; for such a sense is contrary to the Scriptures, which deny any part of salvation, as election, justification, and calling, and the whole of it to be of works, but ascribe it to the free grace of God; and is also repugnant to the perfections of God, as his wisdom, grace, and righteousness; for where are the wisdom and love of God, in forming a scheme of salvation, and sending his Son to effect it, and after all it is left to men to work it out for themselves? and where is the justice of God in admitting of an imperfect righteousness in the room of a perfect one, which must be the case, if salvation is obtained by men's works? for these are imperfect, even the best of them; and is another reason against this sense of the passage; and were they perfect, they could not be meritorious of salvation, for the requisites of merits are wanting in them. Moreover, was salvation to be obtained by the works of men, these consequences would follow; the death of Christ would be in vain, boasting would be encouraged in men, they would have whereof to glory, and their obligations to obedience taken from the love of God, and redemption by Christ, would be weakened and destroyed: add to all this, that the Scriptures assure us, that salvation is alone by Christ; and that it is already finished by him, and not to be wrought out now by him, or any other; and that such is the weakness and impotence of men, even of believers, to whom this exhortation is directed, that it is impossible for them ever to affect it; therefore, whatever sense these words have, we may be sure that this can never possibly be the sense of them... Comments... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Salvation In Scripture Always Refer To Eternal?

No, it does not.

" For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe." ( 1 Timothy 4:10 )

I remember seeing this verse and hearing it taught as meaning that God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. I never could get a clear answer why a mere man could stop God from saving him, but that's another subject.

When I was going through the list of verses used in support of a general atonement, this one always popped up.
    Then one day it hit me...

God is the ( temporal, earthly ) Saviour of all men:

" They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
    24 these see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.
    25 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
    26 They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
    27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits’ end.
    28 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
    29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
    30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
    31 Oh that [men] would praise the Lord [for] his goodness, and [for] his wonderful works to the children of men!" ( Psalm 107:23-31 )

Just reading the Psalms, one finds that God makes the sun to rise and the rain to fall on the just and the unjust ( Matthew 5:45 ), and even delivers them from evil on occasion.

May God bless you.