1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the Bible teach Spiritual Death?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Jul 26, 2020.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For You will not leave my soul in Hades,
    Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see
    corruption. Acts 2:27

“he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. Acts 2:31

Was Christ both soul and body raised, resurrected?

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
    The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 1 Cor 15:13
    But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? 1 Cor 15:35

The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Thoughts?

#101 percho, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that, when dealing with “spiritual life” and “spiritual death” that we have to stick very close to Scripture. Again, I see these definitions for spiritual death: “spiritual death” is “the flesh”, “natural man”, and “a mind set on the flesh”.

When looking at Adam the Bible tells us that Adam was not created a spirit but a man. Adam was not created spiritual but natural. And Adam was created “flesh”. Adam was not created with what is defined as “spiritual life” (“born again”, “of the Spirit”, “a mind set on the Spirit”. “in Christ”).

BUT Adam was created “good” and “upright”. Natural man was not created in a guilty state but an innocent state, not knowing good and evil.

When Adam sinned his eyes were opened. There was a change in Adam (and consequently a change in mankind as Adam is the representative of natural man, of the human race, of the “flesh”. Through Adam’s sin death entered the world.

The issue is not how to remove death from natural man as God is immutable, God’s judgments are everlasting, and death entered the world through sin.

The issue is a new life, a different life, a “spiritual life”.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will get a good fight on this one. Did Christ's soul die so that it should be raised? The short answer to that question is "no". God cannot die, at least not the spirit of God. God is spirit (John 4:24). The Son of God is fully God and fully man. His body did die on the cross. That fact cannot be disputed. But did His spirit die? Theologians have debated that question ad infinitum, ad nauseaum. If the the spirit of God can die, then God ceases to be. That is an impossibility.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Martin Marprelate

For clarification to you and the baptistboard,

I thought that my responses were very clear but unfortunately I have not adequately explained my words.

I use the word "heresy" on this thread with a particular meaning (a meaning that is ascribed to the word). I understand it can mean a "heretic" in terms of the Christian faith, but that is not my usage.

"Heresy" in terms of the Christian faith are things like denying the divinity of God, denying the virgin birth, etc. They are doctrines that are departures from accepted doctrine and separate doctrines from accepted doctrine.

Within the Christian faith there are denominations (groups that separate from the whole because of doctrine, yet are not "less Christian" because they are united by the gospel of Christ). Spurgeon taught on this, I thought, very well when he spoke of Christian sects and the necessity for this division to develop and refine doctrine.

My use of the word "heresy" in this forum is to specify doctrines that are excluded (that are "anti") to the doctrines of my particular congregation. I am Southern Baptist and in the local SBC churches we have a tradition of holding to a certain way of interpreting Scripture and leaning upon Scripture. The SBC struggled with "liberalism" in terms of doctrine (and more importantly interpretation) decades ago. This probably solidified my view when it comes to adhering to a "literal" interpretation of Scripture.

You could argue that I hold a legalistic way of developing doctrine. I, of course, believe this is not true but it would be a fair argument. You cannot, however, argue that I am wrong to use the English word "heresy" to describe your doctrine in relation to my own tradition (especially when I have explained my use of the word).

I hope that this helps clarify what I mean. I never intended for you to believe I was questioning your faith. I think you know exactly where you stand on doctrine, and while I disagree with many of your views I believe you to be a brother in Christ. I have enjoyed your blogs, your lessons, and your sermons. We simply disagree on a few doctrines, but that is not enough to divide us because we are united in Christ. That said, it is enough for us to separate from one another when it comes not to the gospel but to doctrines.

In Christ,

John

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, 'Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit <πνεῦμά);' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit. Lev 23:43

One nano of a second after Jesus said the above where was the spirit of Jesus, the spirit he breathed forth?

because Thou wilt not leave my soul <ψυχήν) to Hades, nor wilt Thou give Thy Kind One to see corruption; Acts 2:27
    having foreseen, he did speak concerning the rising again of the Christ, that his soul <ψυχὴ) was not left to Hades, nor did his flesh < σὰρξ) see corruption. Acts 2:31 ----- Where was the spirit <πνεῦμά ) of Jesus at this time?
    In that same nano of a second where was the soul of Jesus?
    In that same nano of a second where was the body of flesh of Jesus? Where was it moved to a few hours later?

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, the passage you referenced is in Luke, not Leviticus. Second, you did not quote the correct verse. Verse 43 reads, "And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.” I think you meant to quote verse 46 which reads, "And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT.” Having said this, He breathed His last."

Where was the spirit of Jesus one nano second after He breathed His last? In the custody of His Father. Consider what the venerable Matthew Henry writes (see bold portion):

II. Christ’s dying explained (v. 46) by the words with which he breathed out his soul. Jesus had cried with a loud voice when he said, Why hast thou forsaken me? So we are told in Matthew and Mark, and, it should seem, it was with a loud voice that he said this too, to show his earnestness, and that all the people might take notice of it: and this he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. 1. He borrowed these words from his father David (Ps. 31:5); not that he needed to have words put into his mouth, but he chose to make use of David’s words to show that it was the Spirit of Christ that testified in the Old-Testament prophets, and that he came to fulfil the scripture. Christ died with scripture in his mouth. Thus he directs us to make use of scripture language in our addresses to God. 2. In this address to God he calls him Father. When he complained of being forsaken, he cried, Eli, Eli, My God, my God; but, to show that dreadful agony of his soul was now over, he here calls God Father. When he was giving up his life and soul for us, he did for us call God Father, that we through him might receive the adoption of sons. 3. Christ made use of these words in a sense peculiar to himself as Mediator. He was now to make his soul an offering for our sin (Isa. 53:10), to give his life a ransom for many (Mt. 20:28), by the eternal Spirit to offer himself, Heb. 9:14. He was himself both the priest and the sacrifice; our souls were forfeited, and his must go to redeem the forfeiture. The price must be paid into the hands of God, the party offended by sin; to him he had undertaken to make full satisfaction. Now by these words he offered up the sacrifice, did, as it were, lay his hand upon the head of it, and surrender it; tithēmi—”I deposit it, I pay it down into thy hands. Father, accept of my life and soul instead of the lives and souls of the sinners I die for.” The animus offerentis—the good will of the offerer, was requisite to the acceptance of the offering. Now Christ here expresses his cheerful willingness to offer himself, as he had done when it was first proposed to him (Heb. 10:9, 10), Lo, I come to do thy will, by which will we are sanctified. 4. Christ hereby signifies his dependence upon his Father for his resurrection, by the re-union of his soul and body. He commends his spirit into his Father’s hand, to be received into paradise, and returned the third day. By this it appears that our Lord Jesus, as he had a true body, so he had a reasonable soul, which existed in a state of separation from the body, and thus he was made like unto his brethren; this soul he lodged in his Father’s hand, committed it to his custody, resting in hope that it should not be left in hades, in its state of separation from the body, no, not so long as that the body might see corruption. 5. Christ has hereby left us an example, has fitted those words of David to the purpose of dying saints, and hath, as it were, sanctified them for their use. In death our great care should be about our souls, and we cannot more effectually provide for their welfare than by committing them now into the hands of God, as a Father, to be sanctified and governed by his Spirit and grace, and at death committing them into his hands to be made perfect in holiness and happiness. We must show that we are freely willing to die, that we firmly believe in another life after this, and are desirous of it, by saying, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.
    III. Christ’s dying improved by the impressions it made upon those that attended him.

Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: complete and unabridged in one volume (p. 1909). Peabody: Hendrickson.

The spirit of God cannot die. Consider that Jesus not only laid down His own life, He also took it up again. This would have been an impossibility had the spirit of Jesus died:

John 10:17-18 17 “For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, 'Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit <πνεῦμά);' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit. Luke 23:46

Lev 17:11 Darby for the soul of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that maketh atonement for the soul.

It is the blood that is given upon the altar. Why? Because there is something in the blood that makes the flesh, soul with life.
    And that being?
    Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;(lit. lives) and man became a living soul.
    Genesis 7:21,22 and expire doth all flesh that is moving on the earth, among fowl, and among cattle, and among beasts, and among all the teeming things which are teeming on the earth, and all mankind; all in whose nostrils is breath of (spirit of lives) a living spirit -- of all that is in the dry land -- have died.

The living soul without the spirit becomes non living and the flesh corrupts away.

When Jesus breathed out his spirit unto the hands of the Father his soul was poured out unto death. Isa 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

What is in the blood that makes the flesh soul, living?

What returns to God at death?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another question is what of "us" is saved?

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same thing that is born from above.

All of one.

IMHO The soul, living, either needs an earthly house of tabernacle or a house not made with hands with spirit.
    A corruptible or incorruptible house sustained by spirit.

10. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to offer another way to look at this topic, and a possible argument against "spiritual death" as a thing.

If Adam died "in the day" he ate of the fruit of the tree, it doesn't constrain the death to have occurred within 24 hours of the eating. "In the day" can mean "in the timeframe" or "in the era" that he ate of the fruit.

That being said, when God said "you will surely die", I think it can simply mean physical death, where the person ceases to be able to do anything, breathe, think, act, worship...anything.
    [Isa 38:18 KJV] For the grave cannot praise thee, death can [not] celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

The dead cease to be, at least in any sense that we can detect.

So how can we be called "dead in our trespasses and sins" while we are still alive? If we are destined for death with no hope of altering our path! Christ's death on the cross, and His bodily resurrection, give us hope, if we believe.

Thus, when we believe in Jesus Christ and receive His atonement, we are still destined for death, but also destined for life after death--our final destiny takes precedence. We have passed from death into life. Remember that this is a "hope", and assurance of salvation: [1Pe 1:3 KJV] Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
    [1Th 4:13 KJV] But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Genesis it does mean physical death. This was not only the Hebrew understanding but it was the understanding of the early Church as well (critics will point out early persecutions as a reason, but the fact remains the passage simply did not mean Adam died spiritually to the audience or the early church).

Spiritual death is a state (those who have not been born of the Spirit lack Spiritual life). But there is no such a thing as dying spiritually.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not go back and forth with you ad infinitum, ad nauseum. As I have so often said on this board in the past, I am content to rest in our disagreement and let others take from it what they may.

Peace.

13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. Why did Paul say to the Ephesians and the Colossians that they were dead in their trespasses and sins? This is not difficult. Before they were in Christ they were as Paul described them. You need to deal with why Paul used that term twice in his epistles.

14. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m a little confused by your statement. How can the two not have anything to do with each other?

I dealt with Paul’s statement, specifically, and my dealing is equally valid for either usage, as far as I can tell.

Are you saying Paul was NOT talking about spiritual death? Ok, then, you don’t need to deal with my contention regarding “dead in trespasses and sins”—you get to skip over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around what you mean when you say, "So how can we be called "dead in our trespasses and sins" while we are still alive?" I dealt with that in post #1. What do you think Paul meant by what he wrote in Ephesians 2:1?

16. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I get what you’re saying. The question was one I expected others to ask, so I answered it up front. If death is almost exclusively talking about physical death, and yet Paul is talking about being dead while still physically alive ( the argument I’m asking you to consider), how does it make sense? My answer is that it makes sense if Paul means we are “as good as dead”.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it also makes since if Paul is saying we choose death (a mind set on the flesh) or life (a mind set on the Spirit).

18. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’d appreciate references for such verses, if you could. One very probable interpretation of such sentiments is that we can’t gain salvation by striving in the flesh—we need the Spirit’s mindset.

But what is the Spirit’s mindset? How about love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, etc. Against such things there is no law.

Indeed we are to choose to do these things rather than the works of the flesh Gal 5:19-21.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that "spiritual life" vs "spiritual death" (terms that are not in Scripture) are defined as "flesh" vs "spirit" in the Bible. This is one reason I have asked @Reformed to define the terms on the OP (so that we do not talk past one another).

Here is the passage I was referring to:

Romans 8:5-8
    For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

I believe it boils down to flesh vs spirit.

20. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw your request for definitions. That's so important, imo.

Your passage says the "mind" set on flesh or the "mind" set on Spirit. Isn't one's "mind" the same as one's "spirit"? I think it is. So in essence, your passage can be read "for the spirit set on the flesh is death, but the spirit set on the Spirit is life and peace".

In either case, the spirit of the man is active, and activity is not indicative of a state of "spiritual death"--unless we redefine "death" to mean "active in a way that is displeasing to God" or some such.

This is my problem with the spiritual death concept--it depends on redefining "death" to mean something other than what we normally recognize as death, similar to what you posted here:
    This makes plenty of sense to me, and if you are correct, when did it change?

You followed with this "Spiritual death is a state (those who have not been born of the Spirit lack Spiritual life). But there is no such a thing as dying spiritually", which I find interesting. Once again, our normal idea of "death" is not a "lack of life" but a "loss of life". Is there anything that is ever dead that wasn't ever alive? Babies that are "born dead" (or stillborn, another indication of death meaning inactivity) were at one time alive in the womb.

So if Adam ended his life in a spiritually dead state, surely he "died spiritually", right?

And if a man is not condemned for the sins of his father ([Eze 18:20 KJV] The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father...), and "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God", then it seems the problem is not "spiritual death" but a proclivity (nature?) to sin that brings on the penalty of death. Though the death appears to be a foregone conclusion even before sin after Adam. (Rom 5:14)

• Like Like x 1