1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the Greek Text Matter?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James White is a consultant for the NASB. I would think he would have some practice of textual criticism.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lockman Foundation lists him as a "Critical consultants to NASB Update."--http://www.lockman.org/nasb/nasbprin.php. That doesn't sound like he did textual criticism on the project.

Even that position surprises me because his doctorate is suspect, being from Columbia Evangelical Seminary, a correspondence school with low standards, giving "ministry experience" credits. (http://www.columbiaseminary.org/degrees/index.html#doctoral) Are you sure it's the same James White?

#62 John of Japan, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the list of supposedly significant doctrinally different texts between NA and Byz.

In Romans 1:16 the NA says gospel, but the Byz says gospel of Christ. But since the one and only gospel is the gospel of Christ there is absolutely no difference in the doctrines taught by these two versions of that verse. And the NA does have the "gospel of Christ" at least 8 times in other verses.

In Romans 8:1, amazingly, there does seem to be a significant difference. In the NA version, there is no condemnation for those with Christ, whereas in the Byz you also need to walk after the Spirit, a works based salvation. Many do not think that doctrine is inspired!

In Romans 10:15, the Byz seems to add to harmonize with Isaiah 52:7 or Nathan 1:15. However, since the "gospel of good things" includes peace with God, nothing has been lost by sticking to the inspired text.

In Romans 11:6, we seem to have an addition to restate and clarify the first part of the verse, but the addition is unnecessary, and does not alter the doctrine being taught, salvation by grace and not by works.

In Romans 14:21 we seem to have another addition after stumble, to harmonize with 1 Cor. 8:11-13. The doctrine, do not do anything that might hinder the spiritual condition of your siblings in Christ remains the same.

Finally, in Romans 15:29 adding "in the gospel" does not alter the doctrine, for the blessings of Christ include His gospel.

In summary, only one Byzantine text verse might be read to teach a differing and spurious doctrine.

At the end of the day, claims of superiority by the NA or Byz seem, to be much ado about nothing or very little. :)

4. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah it's the same James White. You have to scroll past education, which is towards the bottom. http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.php/about/

As far as his education. From reading, listening and watching his work with apologetics. I think his Colombia Evangelical Seminary paid off. I know nothing of their standards, but White is sharp.

#64 McCree79, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  5. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and no. I understand both side wanting to get as close to the original as possible. However your point is, regardless off which you prefer, it won't change your doctrines. You are absolutely correct. I think both sides of this argument, atleast on this thread, agree with you. JofJ stated similar earlier.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, we agree there are no significant doctrinal differences between the NA and Byz, and in my opinion, where they might exist, the Byz doctrine is errant, as in Romans 8:1.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that theory has not, in fact been proven. It is an unsupported claim.

And why do Alexandrian papyri, codices containing much of Mark and John not have the Markan ending and PA? Is it just a coincidence? Or is it a distinct possibility that the scribes were going by exemplars that did not have those passages?

You have described Alexandrian scribes as being careless, and sloppy --asleep-at-the-wheel as it were. You have said that "their omissions" were accidental. But that supposition just won't hold water. You'll have to come up with a deliberate scheme on their part to delete --something that KJVO folks have majored in.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just addressing English Bible translations --not Greek New Testaments. None of them delete the PA or longer Markan ending. The bracketing is perfectly acceptable. It was not done in a cavalier fashion. a good deal of thoughtful scholarship has gone into the process.
    Why do you say that? You sound like a KJVO'er who objects to footnotes on the same page as the biblical text:"It puts doubt in the mind of the reader."

Do you think that a qualifying statement regarding disputed passages such as :"The earliest manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have..." is invalid? Do you really think it keeps back part of the whole counsel of God from us?

9. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctorate program he participated in is rated top 10 in the nation. http://www.columbiaseminary.edu/aboutus/topten.html

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that it still comes down in the end to the truth that regardless of which Greek text one chooses to use, that they would all allow for us to understand and to teach the cardinal truths of Christianity...

And my take on the Woman if John is that it was probably a real historical event, was known to earth church, but not found in original Gospel of John...
    And that the end of Mark was inseted into end of original, as it seemed to end to quickly for some, and that editor added in the known historical events from acts into it to finish and polish it off!

Dies not affect my view on inspiration and inerrancy though...

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll agree that White is sharp in apologetics, and does well in debate, but his doctorate is substandard. Not only is it not accredited (not even TRACS), but as mentioned it takes "experience credits"--meaning you don't have to study for those credits. I could probably pick up a quick degree there, having preached for 45 years, but what would be the point? I know men (including my son) with genuine regionally accredited doctorates, and I know what it took for those degrees, and it was much more than Columbia where White got his "PhD" and which he recommends. In fact, I myself studied for a year at an unaccredited seminary before finishing my MA at a regionally accredited school, and there is a world of difference.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not paying attention. That is not my theory, but that of recognized textual scholars like Colwell, Robinson, James Royse, Peter Head, etc. If you don't believe me read their works: Studies in Methodology in Textual Criticism of the NT by Colwell, Dr. Robinson's dissertation, Scribal Habits in Early Greek New Testament Papyri by Royse, etc. Try this for a start: http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/v17/index.html
    Um, be more specific. This is woefully sparse information. Which papyri and codices? I could tell you, but it works better if you do the work yourself. I suggest you buy Perspectives on the Ending of Mark, ed. by Black, if you seriously want to learn in this area. Otherwise why should I interact with your lack of correct information? (This is where in your normal method of debating you accuse me of sidestepping the question. :tongue3:)
    Are you even paying attention? I was not the one who described Alexandrian scribes as being careless. That was a quote from a recognized scholar. And it wasn't supposition, it was from original research on the mss themselves.

It's well known that Vaticanus had a corrector very soon after being transcribed, and Sinaiticus had 3 correctors from the scriptorum and then others in the 6th century.

As to whether such omissions were on purpose or parablepsis, haplography or intentional, that is a not a subject included in the OP. I'm not addressing it here.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your strategy. You want to paint me here on the BB as a KJV-only advocate, or at least lump me in with them.

Statement to anyone but Rippon reading this thread: I am not KJV-only. My position is Byzantine-priority, a far cry from the KJV-only position. I teach Elementary Greek at a Bible college, and have studied textual criticism on my own for 29 years. (This does not make me a textual critic; I'm still an amateur.) I do not believe in the inspiration or inerrancy of a translation.

Okay, Rippon, back to your strategy. :BangHead:

#73 John of Japan, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, surprising. I don't know why they would include an online school that accepts "ministry credits." But as you've seen the rating is only for apologetics, which does not include textual criticism.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to correct this. Hodges/Farstad use the genealogical method in the pericope adulterae and in Revelation, while Robinson/Pierpont does not. My bad. :type:

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which do we think is more important, starting with the NA or the Byz, or on the other hand, using a word for word translation rather than a functional equivalent version? Is it more likely we will believe error by using one or the other Greek texts as translated into English (NASB versus WEB) or using the NASB (word for word philosophy) rather than the NLT (functional equivalence.)

I think there is a lot less error in the WEB (Byz) or NASB (NA) than in those versions which arrange the words to say what the translator thinks is being said.

Or, in other words, debates over Byz versus NA are much ado about nothing or very little, but subscribing to functional equivalence is a big deal.

#76 Van, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say it was. Did I use a personal pronoun? No, I said "that theory."
    Well, for instance,on the subject of PA adelph and B do not have the account. Codex Borgianus from the 5th century doesn't have it. Codex Alexandrinus (400-440) which has a Byzantine text in the Gospels doesn't have it. Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (450) a mixed-text doesn't have it.

Regarding the longer ending of Mark:

Aleph and B do not have it. Syriac Sinaiticus (from the late 4th century) doesn't have it.

Was it a plot to remove it? Of course not. There is much more of a possibility that Byz. texts have added rather than that the Alexandrian-Text form deleted. Every time you say "omitted" in most cases it just wasn't present in the exemplar.

Were these scribes working in concert with one another? Or were they being faithful to their exemplars?
    And that information is supposed to aid you somehow? I am speaking of the work of the scribes who did the work originally on the Alexandrian mss --not later correctors.
    On the contrary, you said in post #27 that there was a "very real possibility of accidental omission." You did not cite a scholar for that opinion. Someone once said :"Sorry, such unsupported statements are not textual criticism. You have given no reasons."

#77 Rippon, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such strategy on my part. I have simply noticed parallels between the "strategies' of KJVO-folk and your own.

When you claim that doubt can set in for people who observe brackets around disputed texts such as PA and the longer ending of Mark, that smacks of the kind of thing that KJVOnlyists come up with.

I doubt that Maurice Robinson and other scholars advocating Byz. priority would suggest such things.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Post 29

By Alexandrian scribes?
    I'd like JoJ to address the above.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the MODERN Greek text we follow matter?

Here's a simple progression of thoughts regarding scriptural variants.

1. Variants exist.

2. Experts disagree/opinions vary.

3. Original documents are not available.

4. Various approaches to the problem may provide statistical comfort but not a definitive answer.

DOES IT MATTER? – HOW DOES IT AFFECT US?

5. With portions of scripture having great certainty regarding the text, we may have greater confidence and be more assertive regarding our doctrinal conclusions.

6. In areas of lesser textual certainty, we need to exhibit greater humility and be open to other opinions.

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.