1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the Greek Text Matter?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on Deacon. And note that no list of doctrinally significant variants has been provided. Such examples of "gospel" versus "gospel of Christ" actually support the premise that this issue - omitted or added - is much ado about nothing or very little.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So on the side of the theory we have half a dozen recognized scholars, and on the other side we have you--not able to read Greek and having read a few articles, Wikipedia, and a book partly on textual criticism.

What is "adelph"? Borgianus only has Gospel fragments so there is no big deal about it not having the PA. Admit it--you've been consulting Wikipedia again, right?

Whatever mss the PA is in or not in, the UBS kept it, though in brackets. Metzger says, "At the same time the account has all the earmarks of historical veracity" (A Textual Commentary on the Greek NT, p. 188). The jury is still out. I'll not pursue the PA in this thread, but eagerly look forward to the book about to come out on the SEBTS seminar, and the collation currently being done by Dr. Robinson of all the mss that have it.

Yes, well Aleph and B do have the notorious spear thrust in Matt. 27:49, so that shows how accurate they are.

But seriously, patristic support by Justin Martyr and Irenaeus support the LE, so I think I'll stick to it (Perspectives on the Ending of Mark, p. 46). They were both 2nd century, long before the mss in question.
    And once again you have no proof of your completely positive statements of your version of facts.

Yes, because it shows the unreliability of those mss. And as I mentioned some of the correcters were in the scriptorum, not later.
    Sigh. The fact that you are starting as a beginner in textual criticism makes it hard to interact with you. If you understood the Byz-pri methodology you wouldn't even be saying this. I don't have to cite a scholar. It's part of the theory itself, not simply my opinion.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guilt by association--ethically speaking, a very questionable tactic for debate, even on the Internet. :rolleyes:

But I'm right. It is a very similar issue that helped Bart Ehrman to apostasize.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. As someone who is bilingual, I have written or copied things in my second language hundreds if not thousands of times. I am a witness that it is much easier to copy or write in one's first language.

In Alexandria, most copiests would have had Egyptian as their first language, with Greek being the lingua franca. Since they were copying their second language, they were much more likely to make mistakes than copiests in the Eastern empire, where the first language of a copiest would be Greek.

It is no accident that even today the Greek Orthodox scholars use a Byzantine Greek text as their source document.

5. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alexandria was a Greek city. One of the greatest centers of Greek culture and learning. I would think from 320 B.C- 6th century that Greek would be the first language.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do make a good point, and I should have been more careful in my post.

The Alexandrian text type was from the general area. Simply being Alexandrian in the text type does not mean that the ms was copied in that city.

Again, assuming a ms was actually copied at Alexandria does not mean it was copied by someone with Greek as their first language. It was still in Egypt, and there were no doubt many Egyptians living there.

Regardless, Alexandria did not have much of a Christian population in the first couple of centuries. The likelihood is small that it would be a center of NT mss copying in the early years of Christian history. On the other hand, the Byzantine text tradition is from the area of Antioch, which had an influential church from the very beginning of Christian history (Acts 6:5, ch. 11, etc.). It is much more likely that the area of Antioch would have a tradition dating directly to the autographs than Alexandria would.

#86 John of Japan, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really would like a reasonable response.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet you claim that Byz. translators have "rarely added words."

Please address this.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are being silly. Your half a dozen scholars are in the minority. "On the other side" there are Daniel Wallace, Philip W. Comfort, Michael W. Holmes, Michael J. Kruger, Charles Hill, Wieland Willker and others.

Again, you have said: "if it can be proven that the scribes routinely dropped words and phrases..."

That theory which you agree with is not widespread among New Testament scholars.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Rippon has not corrected his earlier statement about the papyri in spite of this chance, I'll correct it. None of the papyri have are concerned with the longer ending of Mark.

Also, though the 4th century Sinaitic Syriac doesn't have the Markan LE, the Curetonian Syriac from the same time does (The Early Versions of the NT, Metzger, p. 37.

Again, Rippon is being very demanding that I answer all of his statements, major and minor. Okay, when will he answer my point about the early church fathers that had the LE? (Perspectives..., p. 46) In fact, Iranaeus who I mentioned even quotes from the LE of Mark as the end of the book. His witness predates by many years the mss that Rippon is insisting are the final word on the subject.

#90 John of Japan, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I never said footnotes are undesirable. I'm in favor of them.
    2. Yes I do think such a statement is invalid, since it is from the eclectic perspective and I'm not an eclectic. (Duh! :tongue3:)

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this is a big difference between the eclectic and Byzantine-priority positions.
    What Rippon wishes me to address:
    I'll reserve judgement on pietistic expansion until you actually proves it exists.

Harmonization with "sister texts"? Never heard of "sister texts." I assume Rippon means harmonization within the Synoptics or with other parallel passages. It occurs. Does it occur more in Byzantine mss? I'd like Rippon to address this, or his statement is meaningless in the context of this discussion.

That is correct. I think the smoothness of the Byz. mss is actually due to the fact that the writers of Scripture were better writers and better at Greek than the eclectics think they were. There is no historical proof that they were lousy writers. :type:

#92 John of Japan, Jul 16, 2015
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, wow, you presume to speak for all of these guys? How you know what they think about the subject? How do I know what they think about the subject just by your statement? Give me actual quotes and then maybe I'll believe you. You're kind of doing, "I've got more scholars than you do, so I know I'm right," which you know is a non-starter in the search for truth.

And we've had the discussion before about how many Byz.-pri. scholars there are and I gave you a long list. The tribe increaseth.
    Prove it. I suggest it's only denied by scholars unfamiliar with the research I've already referred to by Colwell, Robinson, and others.

#93 John of Japan, Jul 16, 2015
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there are no brackets in the main text of The New Testament in the Original Greek, ed. by Robinson and Pierpont. What they did is put alternate readings in the margin. I'm perfectly comfortable with that--use it all the time and recommend it to my students.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have just made the observation that your thoughts run parallel to that of KJVO folks in one (just one) line of thought.
    What are you right about?
    Please explain. I don't get your drift.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, perhaps in the future. But there are more important books for me to acquire.

However, in the very first Amazon review of the book from 10/10/2012, the reviewer gave :

Wallace *****
    Robinson ***
    Elliot ***
    Black *

He said that "Wallace made the best case for his position." And of course, Dr. Wallace's position is that the longer ending is not authentic.

The second reviewer quoted Wallace as saying:
    "The patristic testimony thus reveals a very interesting trend: from the earliest discussion on the authenticity of this passage, the Fathers indicate that most of the copies of Mark ended at 16:8." (p.24)

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come again? "None of the papyri have are concerned..."

You objected to Codex Borgianus. But you did not deal specifically with Codices B,Aleph, Alexandrinus and Ephraemi Rescriptus. You just dismiss them with the wave of your hand?
    I already have. Besides, why do insist that your later questions have precedence over my earlier ones? I had asked some initial questions as far back as post numbers 29 and 68.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Post 68

And JoJ's response is :
    "Yes, I do think such a statement is invalid, since it is from the eclectic perspective and I'm not eclectic."

I had asked for a reasonable response, but I guess it's too much to ask of him.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you are apoplectic at times.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me something I don't know.
    Against all logic you deny that those features are present in the Byz. text-type.
    I asked you. Don't flip it around.
    Boy do you come loaded with false assumptions. The "writers of Scripture" were the Apostles when it comes to the New Testament. Byzantine scribes were not "the writers of Scripture." They and the Alexandrian scribes copied from exemplars, or heard them read while copying. Don't try to put the Byzantine text-type on a level that is unwarranted.

And why are you referring to Alexandrian scribes as eclectics anyway?

You are all over the place with false assumptions.

#100 Rippon, Jul 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.