1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the Lord allow so-called Christians and Pastor's to commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by CalTech, Apr 7, 2022.

1. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So many pastor’s…so many suicide’s…what a heartbreaking tragedy!!!! What’s going on?

Pro_14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Please go to my page where you can read the whole article, it is more than 10000 character's so I am not able to load it onto this thread.....
    Thank you for your understanding, and may the Lord bless you!

So many pastor’s…so many suicide’s…what a heartbreaking tragedy!!!! What’s going on?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Short answer, yes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings Squire Robertsson,
    I am sorry, what is your YES response saying.....is it agreeing with the article? I am not sure, I do think our Lord likes us to give a brief yet full response.
    Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was answering the thread title.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh.......I see.......
    Thank you.....

6. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the term would be "suffer". That is letting it happen against God’s will. Using "allow" indicates it is God’s will.

Of course, today "allow" is not as strict as when used in the Bible. Most would agree God "lets it happen". God does not prevent it, or it would be impossible. It was not God’s will for Adam to disobey. God let it happen, and did not stop the action. I think there is a difference.

7. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cal, I confess, I did not link to your website and read the article you mention. I often read from my phone and just don't have the time to read something long.
    God allows many evil things to happen in this corrupted world. Thank God the Holy Spirit has not abandoned this world or things would be much, much worse.
    Like all people in this world, Christians suffer from depression equally. This depression can hit people differently, much like alcoholism or some other addiction. It can be a lifelong battle against the temptation to end life and be in a better spot where this life's struggles end. (For the Christian suffering depression it can actually look like an opportunity to go to the Kingdom rather than live in exile.)
    Many Pastors struggle with depression. This may be one of the biggest reasons for burnout and leaving. Perhaps the most famous pastor (at least to me) that suffered from depression was CH Spurgeon. Spurgeon struggled with a sense of failure and misery while going to God to receive perseverant grace. But, not all have defeated the temptation that depression brings, just as not all Christians have defeated their own temptations in other areas. The question, then, is whether God's grace is greater than our sin. The apostle Paul, in his argument for justification by faith alone provides that delicate answer. I suggest reading Romans 5, Romans 6, Romans 7, and Romans 8 to gain more understanding.

Peace

8. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord will never allow, His Children to take their own lives, which is self-annihilation, because those who do take their lives, suicide, were never truly His Children, they were not born-again, they were never saved. They were deceived in thinking they were saved. No one who commits suicide is with the Lord in Heaven......

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have, read the article which will reveal that what you believe is truly not God's Will. I know I've suffered depression to the point I did not desire to live, but the Lord delivered me out of it, and kept me from even thinking to kill myself. He said He shall never loose one of His Sheep, which God has given Him, and that includes suicide. He shall keep them from doing so.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And in another place:
    "The Lord will never allow, His Children to take their own lives, which is self-annihilation, because those who do take their lives, suicide, were never truly His Children, they were not born-again, they were never saved. They were deceived in thinking they were saved. No one who commits suicide is with the Lord in Heaven......"​

There is a difficulty when one takes from their own experience and makes a comparative to all others. One size does not always fit.

One of the wonderful songs often sung was written by a man who suffered. Two women in whom he had become betrothed both died from drowning. Yet, when his own mother was in terrible grief, he wrote a letter to her and included a poem to help her. On a side note, he was also found dead laying in a stream, but no autopsy was done to know if how he died. The poem, "What a friend we have in Jesus."

Another great poem was written by a man who was raised in a workhouse. He struggled with severe depression, anxiety, malaise, ... He tried to commit suicide three times and failed. A good friend and co-author with Newton, William Cowper, perhaps the greatest poet of his day, was the writer of "There is a Fountain."

However, what is more troubling concerning your view is that you actually attach suicide with salvation.

Only God knows the heart, and only God redeems.

Paul states that there is no condemnation to the believer, and further that nothing separates the one in Christ from God's love.

I have met with families that had a child had committed suicide. Dare you rob from them the assurance of their loved ones eternity?

Suicide is not the determiner of how or where one spends eternity.

Some have willingly given their life for others (suicide missions) on the fields of battle and conflicts.

Died giving organs that others might live.

If suicide were a determiner, then martyrs who have willingly given their life for Christ and even the Lord have become invalid.

For NO one took the Lord's life from Him, He had the power to lay it down and take it up.

Those who perished by spear and arrow in Ecuador, willingly giving their life for the cause of Christ, did not die in vain nor be shunned from Heaven.

Stephen, who would not deny the Lord even as stones rained upon him was honored by Christ.

I admit that this topic brings an emotional response from me. And I do not excuse such, for it is well founded.

There is another side to this that I haven't shared. Suicide is also used as the ultimate avoidance.

When a person is ensnared in sinfulness, that which society greatly objects, then to be discovered, to be "outed" can push a person to desperation.

Desperate people rarely consider rationally what is best and far less what is the best response to an overwhelming situation.

Would it be better to end my life then to see my loved ones suffer?

Would it be better to end my life then to see my Lord's name harmed?

Would it be better to end my life then to bring shame to the church?

These are all within the thinking of one desperate.

But, none of these pertain to the question of eternity.

That question resolves to one who believes or one who does not believe.

That is the point of this post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you have a verse clearly stating this, your claim is presumptuous and malicious. Who are you to proclaim as fact what can be known only to God? Have you opened and read the Book of Life?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have, and "if" you read my article, you will see by the examples given in the Lord's Word, who did commit suicide and their reasons why, and those who did not, you will find, no matter how deep their depressions, the Lord saved them out of them. God's Word gives a very detailed testimony, on who and why certain men in the Old and New Testament committed suicide, and that is our example to know the Lord's will concerning those who commit suicide.

It is written........because the Lord had spoken it.
    I stand upon HIS WORD and none of man's feelings or thoughts shall move me from HIS TRUTH.
    Thank you....
    The Lord bless you!

13. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt you can prove that from Scripture, but you are free to have your own opinions.

14. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book of life is stilled sealed shut. The poster was referring to the Lamb's book of life. The one with 7 Seals. Only Jesus is worthy to open the Lamb's book of life. Only God can remove a name written therein. One cannot remove their own name. Perhaps you covered that in your article?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing is based upon my opinion, I have no right to have my reasoning mind opinion. The Holy Spirit is my teacher, and the Lord's Word confirms His teaching. Plain and simple.
    Also one has to just see what 501 (c) (3) church organization they belonged to where they are ecumenical, allow women to be teacher's and pastor's, support persons associated with Masonic organization's, which most main stream magazine's, organizations, charities, ministries, ALL Bible College's, Universities, Seminaries and church's are being controlled by.
    You shall know them by their fruit, if their fruit support the above mentioned, then they are not the Lord's children.......they are of the Anti-Christ system.
    Jesus said that He did not come to bring Peace but a Sword, and that Sword is His Word and the truth that it represents, and it is meant to offend those who do not know Him, but think they do.
    I stand upon His Word, and not of man's fallen reasoning mind and philosophies or traditions.
    Prove me wrong.....that is the duty of a true believer.
    Lord bless you....

16. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maranatha Baptist University is not controlled by Masons. Nor is my local church which is a 501 org.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually a Government registered non-profilt Corporation a 501 (c) (3) church has restrictions that must be followed, or they will lose their registered standing. Which means the Government the IRA has control on what they can say and not say.
    Where does the Lord word stipulate that His Body must be controlled in any manner by the Government?

The Lord's Body must be fully dependent upon the Lord and His followers to support those who teach as they are able, and the teacher/pastor can work to provide for his needs. No where does the Lord grant permission that Bible Colleges, Universities, Seminaries, Sunday schools, Christian schools are to be established in order to feed His Sheep. Degrees, Doctorates, or any type of religious education for a "career" to serve in the ministry is not the foundation upon which our Lord desired His Body to be built.
    Therefore every one of these "organizations" are of the flesh and not guided by the Holy Spirit, it's all men's fallen reasoning mind and tradition. It shall all be burnt, why? None of it has been built upon the Foundation the Lord Jesus Christ and His Apostles.

Where does it state anywhere that this is so.........where does it state that persons need to spend thousands of dollar's in order to be educated in the ways of the Lord for a diploma/degree to serve Him or for a "career"choice in the ministry?
    There is nothing written where we as believer's are to be encouraged to seek a "career" in serving Him for His Glory. The Training and the learning is too come from the Holy Spirit. It's all quite simple............

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That federal law sure sounds like it may very well violate our first amendment of our Constitution.

19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Responding to the title of the thread:

"Does the Lord allow so-called Christians and Pastor's to commit suicide?"

Yes, He does.
    There are many "so-called Christians" in the world today, and there is a vast difference, spiritually, between a "pastor" and one of the Lord's pastors / bishops / elders.
    One is part of a religious system known as "Christianity" with its "denominations" and the other is a blood-bought child of the living God who is a member of the body of Christ.

One is a Christian in name only, the other has the Lord as his Deliverer in this life ( see the Psalms ).
    One suffers from depression and commits suicide due to having no hope and no comfort, the other has the Spirit of God as Comforter, Deliverer and Teacher.

The former will abandon their hope because they never truly had any;
    Neither have they been born from above.
    The latter holds on to that which they've been given from above through faith, and because of being born again to a lively hope ( 1 Peter 1:3 ).

God's children wait on Him through all their trials and tribulations, and He delivers them out of them all:

" Many [are] the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all." ( Psalms 34:19 ).

#19 Dave G, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!!!!!
    Thank you!
    However, one can as a born-again believer by and through the Power of the Holy Spirit suffer depression, many of God's chosen men have suffered such through what they were enduring, such as Job, David, Jeremiah, Paul, John the Baptist. I have also suffered many mental depression affliction's, Spurgeon also suffered from many bouts with depression, as did the wonderful preacher/teacher JC Philpot.........however as the scripture you gave stated "but the LORD delivereth him out of the ALL!"
    All the Pastor's that have committed suicide were never truly born-again, as well anyone who "thought" they were Christian who committed such a devastating act against themselves, They never had any hope in Christ.....

It's such a terrible and sad time in which we live.........

• Agree Agree x 1