1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the Text of 1 John Demand Penal Substitution Theory ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God pouring on Jesus His wrath allowed the death to be effectual!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin and I have been defending the Pst with the Bible, its just that you have already determined that its wrong, mere man made tradition, something Calvin just dreamed up!

#82 Yeshua1, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Father has to have His wrath appeased for in order to reconcile and justify sinners, so when did that happen?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God the Father delight wa in having His own Son crushed/bruised/pierced thru for our sales, and Jesus agreed to that, as he looked forward to His resurrection and sinners now brought back to God!
    Crushed/bruised/forsaken are all in there!

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I was speaking of those who would alter the passage to read "He was punished with our punishment for our sins as God poured His wrath upon Christ".

My comment was that you see the Theory of Penal Substitution as the "obvious" meaning of the passage when the text itself neither demands nor confirms the conclusion. You do not seem to recognize Penal Substitution Theory as a theory.[/QUOTE]
    I
    Yes. It has wrath or negative consequences in view. I could try to propitiate my wife by buying her flowers should I miss her birthday.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the imagination of the Reformers.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Southern Baptist Convention > On The Necessity Of Penal Substitutionary Atonement
    WHEREAS, On the cross of Christ Jesus the perfect love of God perfectly applies the perfect justice of God to satisfy the perfect holiness of God in order to redeem sinners (Romans 3:26); and

WHEREAS, The denial of penal substitutionary atonement in effect denies the holy and loving God the exercise of His justice, the overflow of which in a sinful world is the outpouring of His just retributive wrath; and

WHEREAS, The denial of penal substitutionary atonement thus displays in effect the denial of the perfect character of the one true God; and

WHEREAS, The denial of penal substitutionary atonement constitutes false teaching that leads the flock astray (Acts 20:28) and leaves the world without a message of a sin-cleansing Savior (Romans 5:6–11); and

WHEREAS, The denial of penal substitutionary atonement necessarily compromises the biblical and historical doctrines of propitiation, expiation, ransom, satisfaction, Christus Victor, Christus Exemplar, and more; and

WHEREAS, The Lord promised a warrior-savior who would crush the head of the serpent to obliterate the enemy (Genesis 3:15; Romans 16:20; Revelation 19:11–16); and

WHEREAS, The sacrificial system of the Old Testament culminated in the blood sacrifice of a spotless lamb on the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16:11–19); and

WHEREAS, Jesus Himself unveiled the salvific mission that necessitated His incarnation (Hebrews 2:17) when He said, “the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:28); and

WHEREAS, The confession of the Scriptures is that Christ is our passive and active righteousness, forgiving all our sin by His death and imputing to us all His righteousness through faith (1 Corinthians 1:30; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 3:9); and

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, unfortunately you have not. You have extracted a few verses and blended them with your theory to declare Penal Substitution Theory correct. And you have posted a bunch of passages that we all agree upon.

Have you ever wondered why it's called Penal Substitution THEORY?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know you were SBC.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    i had been attending a small sbc church for awhile, but did not transfer my membership. I wanted to meet with the pastor and ask some questions about a few concerns we had, and if he was happy with the direction the church was going in...
    My wife questioned Him a bit and i started to do it with a couple of emails...but a few weeks ago he asked us to move on...lol...very sad.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always attended SBC churches, but for the church and not the SBC. Many will reject some resolutions, but I like that the F&M at least provides some common ground.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am more comfortable in ARBCA. circles.
    This pastor sides more with the so called traditionalists but I thought he might be open to differing views and us trying to help. The Church needs plenty of help.....but he felt threatened evidently. It was hard to sit through the unscriptural altar calls, and rededications anyhow, but we were trying to Blend in with our baptist friends who are very local to us....but there was no room at the inn.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes more biblical sense than any other theory on the Atonement!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you agree with that statement on the PST that you posted though?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is subjective and the issue should not be which makes more sense to us but which represents what Scripture says.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in your system is the wrath of God appeased than?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Christ.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So jesus took that wrath due us?

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Jesus did not prevent us from dying. He gives us life. All judgment is given to Him, and He Himself is the propitiation for sin.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was the sin bearer, which meant he assumed on the very wrath owned to us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.