1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does this "sermonette" contain sufficient information to bring someone to Christ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Guido, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I posted drafts of this a few times already. Please forgive me for that. I just want to know two things: Is there any audience for which it is effective? Will anyone be brought to Christ through it?

Avoiding the Wrath of God

God, in judging according to righteousness, was going to judge all, for all are sinners, transgressors of His Law, to suffer the wrath of God forever the moment they passed away, if open to Him was no other way to continue a righteous judge. For as all are sinners all are headed to suffer the wrath of God, but through faith in Christ Jesus and the action He did for them, they can receive eternal life.

For as all are sinners, all are worthy that the judgement of God should fall on them, if only by this He were able to do His justice. For because of His justice His judgement must fall upon sin. If therefore His judgement can fall on no other for the judgement of all their sins, His judgement must fall upon all for all their sins.

But God, in His love for all the world, without the will to condemn it, appointed a person to be an atonement for sins, even Jesus Christ His Son, of the power to pay for our sins, with the power to do this seeing He never sins, for whom, seeing that He is God, it was needless to suffer forever. And so, being born of a virgin, He entered into the world, and lived a sinless life within the world, after which, by His death on a cross He atoned for all of our sins, by shedding His blood and bearing the wrath of God for us. And following His death were three days and nights, and then He rose from the dead, having met by the means of His blood the justice of God.

By faith in Jesus and by faith in the payment which was offered by Him for our sins, all who believe in Him are reckoned as righteous, God having taken their every sin and held it against them no more, and imputed to them the righteousness of Christ. And thus, seeing their sins are abolished, they are saved from eternal judgment, and granted life abiding for all eternity. And as well as this, it is not possible that any of them should be lost. Their sins, therefore, will God not judge, seeing now they are reckoned as righteous.

Therefore on those who believe in Jesus while breathing continues within them, on them is salvation from everlasting judgment, but on those with a heart of unbelief even until their death, the eternal judgment of God shall fall upon them. This is the judgement which was to come, even upon all, but God, in His love for all the world, has provided a way of evasion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Normally, in scripture, they present the gospel of the Kingdom (totally missing today). Then an announcement (= preach in Greek) about the death, burial, and resurrection for the sin of all who believe (not those who choose to believe). followed by instructions on repentance and Baptism. It's nothing like what you hear today.

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every hearer is different. So I cannot say it will not. There are always issues.
    In short, the reader must believe God and his word.
    You presented Christ's payment for sins. And that He is risen from the dead.
    Does the reader understand the forgiveness God gives as free gift by simply believing God did this for them? Hebrews 10:17? and 1,John 5:13? That the gift must be accepted and we do not deserve it. But it is free to us. Any way my thought on this.

4. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only thing I see missing are scripture references.

we speak when the scriptures speak. Silent where it is silent.

without the references, it could be received as a message from "me."

My testimony is from me, but not the Gospel.

Some like to ridicule the "Romans Road" but I find it to be concise, complete, and ... convicting.

Romans 3:23 --- establishes the need
    Romans 6:23 --- provides the plan
    Romans 5:28 --- reveals it's unconditional
    Romans 10:9-10 --- the assurance.

Great thread!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does seem to contain most of what Paul called “of first importance”. Christ died for our sins, was buried and raised from the dead. The focus is on Christ and His righteousness.

As mentioned by Two Wings there is no mention of the authority of scripture and, I’ll point out, there is no mention of the 500 plus eyewitnesses to the resurrection.

Bottom line, it contains the gospel. The rest is a work of God Holy Spirit to bring folks to salvation.

peace to you

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've wondered if somebody can be saved if their motivation is to escape divine wrath. In a way, this type of thinking still seems self-centered (a fear, rather than sorrow, leading to a repentance).

I'm not saying we cannot be saved through fear, but I have wondered.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude 1:23, ". . . And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. . . ."

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude 22–23 Have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; have mercy on others but with fear, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

I do not read the passage to condone using fear as a means of salvation but rather the fear is a warning to the believer lest he be drawn into their immorality.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People can only be saved when God Holy Spirit brings them to salvation and indwells them as the seal/mark of God’s promise His redemption is true.

I don’t suppose anyone can know exactly what someone else is thinking at that moment. How much is fear of God’s wrath? How much is gratitude and joy for God’s mercy?

The only thing that matters, imo, is that we respond to God’s intervention with faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I would like to see a more comprehensive explanation of what it means to "believe" that message is sufficient to the open heart. Whether it would stir a heart to be open is questionable.