1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does this sound strange?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

My in-laws have told me that their new church (not Baptist) that they attend has banners and signs distributed out amoung the pews, and that during praise and worship they dance around and wave them. I didnt think to ask what the signs say because I was too stunned.

Have any of you heard of this type of worship before? It sounds pretty weird to me.

AJ

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is not my style, but it is not unusual at all.

I have not lived in the States since 95, but I think most of what we are seeing here comes from they and the praise and dance worship is very popular here.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I've seen the banner/flag/standard thing once before at a worship conference and found it a little strange.

Scripture cited by proponents appears to be OT references to banners in warfare as a symbol of identity with God and his presence being amongst them (Exodus 17:8-15). The banner of love in Song of Solomon 2:4 is also referenced.

I have met one guy who does expressive dance during worship. I tend to sit in the back and he is usually back there doing his thing because he wanted to dance for God and nobody else and recognized that his dancing can be a distraction to other brothers and sisters.

It is easier to make direct connections to dancing in worship of God in the OT in David, Miriam, Psalm 150.

#3 Gold Dragon, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We had a conference at our church and the couple that were leading it were much more Pentacostal than we are. During a short worship time, we sang "The Battle Belongs to the Lord" and partway into the song, the woman said "Grab your banner!" and grabbed a Kleenex! She was walking around waving that tissue like it was a sword! It was kind of funny to us.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is done in a lot of pentacostal and charismatic churches.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having Jewish roots, I've had experience with such "Israeli" style worship. Add tambourines and ribbons and talith.

It has been commandeered by the pentecostal (beats snakes ad rolling in the aisls) types.

Our local salvation army (from same Methodist roots at pentecostals) has the banners etc.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

AJG,

Good for them. I have visited churches that are that way, and I find it very freeing and refreshing. It has always been a blessing to me.

From what I hear, there are more and more of our Baptist churches that are going in that direction. I hope more do.

In my experience SOME of the other groups that are big on that style of praise and worship are unfortunetly out of balance regarding some of their teachings, but imo we should not "throw the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak.

:godisgood:

#7 Alive in Christ, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Maye you can sneak in one night and put letters on the banners...

Something like NUT comes to mind.

9. Alive in Christ

edit

accidental duplicate post

10. Alive in Christ

Dr Bob,

You seem to be intelligent and educated, so I assume you fully understand that the vast VAST majority (probably 98%) of pentecostal churches have nothing to do with handling snakes and they dont "roll in the aisles".

Which makes me wonder why you would choose to slander the pentecostals by implying that they all handle snakes and roll around on the

[racial epithet snipped]

I am saddened that you would choose to do that, rather than be charitable regarding our pentecostal brothers and sisters.

:godisgood:

#10 Alive in Christ, Sep 29, 2008
  11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

My inlaws that go to this church are in fact charismatic, but I didnt mention that in the op on purpose because I wanted to know if any other denominations were doing things like this, and i didnt want to limit the options to just pentecostals/charismatics, ect.

They are "word of faith believers", my father in law is a Rhema graduate, and my wife and I have watched them over the years as they have went from focusing on the gospel of Jesus, and being servants towards Him, to what they are now.....which is hard to explain, but I will try.

Now their only focus is on God serving their wants instead of them serving God. I have seen them hold hands in a prayer circle and "command" God to perform a miracle, or to heal them, or to reap untold riches and money on them. They speak jibberish out loud thoughout the day, and tell me that I am not really saved because tongue speaking is the evidence of salvation.

They have begun to treat God like a geenie, as if God is only here to grant their every wish and command. Their worship services have become a spectacle of "experience" instead of reverence. In fact, the Sunday morning worship service in this new church they found is not called worship....it is called "Sunday Morning Experience". And their wednesday night service is called a "Block Party"

Oh, and they dont consider titheing as a obligation for christians.....they consider it "planting a seed" and insist that God will eventually return every dollar to them many times over. In other words, they give because they expect more in return.

They seem to avoid talking about any biblical responsibilities that God asks of beleivers, and focus instead on the "supernatural". Back when they were Baptists, they used to be involved in many outreach ministries and volunteer work, now they just command God to produce miracles for folks in need instead actually physically helping with that need.

They have adopted a very liberal view on salvation also. They say it doesnt matter what church a person goes to, or even what religion they are (jewish, christian, muslim, buddist), that God will meet with that person on thier terms, and that we are all going to heaven as long as we seek God. They also have adopted the belief that practicing homosexuals can be servants, even ministers for God.

They have gone to Benny Hinn healing services before, and claim he is a powerful, annoited man of God.

With all of this liberal, accept everyone attitude they have, they still cant stand Baptists, and are upset with me because i wont let my son attend church with them. They claim that us Baptists just dont get it, and for some reason hold a degree of contempt for Baptists...???????? I dont know why.

Even with all of these changes in them, this thing of signs and banners came as quite a shock to me and my wife. To us, it makes worship sound more like Marti Gras.

The biggest question that comes to my mind is how many folks are coming to the altars of these churches and seeking salvation for the wrong reasons? If they seek health and wealth instead of forgiveness, then how will they recieve salvation?

This is all just too weird for me.

AJ

#11 ajg1959, Sep 29, 2008
  12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have seen it done in Assembly of God Churches.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hated to be the one to "snip" the racial slur - I KNOW what you were saying and that it was not your intent, but there is NO circumstance where that N word can be left standing. It will be picked up by search engines and the BB put in a bad light.

And I assumed anyone would realize I was using the "extreme" examples of pentecostalism - snakes and rollers. Not all pentecostals are thus, but it is the stigma of charismania.

NOT derailing the thread, but I have been in two very large (many thousands) pentecostal meetings and watched folks running around the auditorium, rolling in the aisles and orchestra pit, and hopping across the stage. First was Jim Bakker and second was Bob Tilden, both leaders in the modern pentecostal "sect". So it is not far-flung.

And, to the op, I'd rather see genuine waving banners and dancing before the Lord in Jewish-Christian worship than the nonsense of charismania.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, to each his/her own. I myself do not like this style as I find it distracting and too given over to emotional displays. I like a quieter atmosphere, which seems more reverent to me and helps me focus.

15. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my thinking as well.

A charismatic church my first wife and I visited a few times while trying to find a church home did that. I thought is a little odd, but she had no problem with it.