1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does world mean every individual?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Oct 22, 2006.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

We have seen John 3:16 abused to the point of universalism. I was wondering how many verses in the bible mean every individual when it says world. I'll post a few where obviously it does not mean every individual.
    John 3:16 the word world means Jew and Gentile alike.
    Luke 2:1 the word world obviously does not mean every individual.
    John 4:42 is Jesus the Savior of every individual? Not those who will never receive Him.
    John 7:4 how could someone of that day show themselves to the whole world?

Feel free to post more references to the world that obviously do not mean every individual that ever existed. This may enlighten some. Grace and peace

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Naw, it means "the world," as in "light has come into the world" and "I am the light of the world."
    Well, good. I was beginning to think that the C-A debate was endless; now I have hope that it will be settled here on the BB in a short while. Carry on.

3. reformedbeliever

With the context of being born again, I would not think that the world would be what Jesus was telling Nicodemus must be born again.

I hope its not settled any time soon, as I'm one who learns a lot from the debates. I suppose there are some who have nothing to learn, I've kind of gathered that from some of their posts. I suppose they would hope the debates end soon.

#3 reformedbeliever, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  4. whatever

whatever New Member

Call me the heretical Calvinist if you like, but I think John 3:17-18 makes it clear that in John 3:16 all people, which include those who believe and are saved as well as those who don't believe and are condemned already, are in view.

Now I could say much more than that but I don't want to be the one to end hundreds of years of debate so I will save it for another time.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I thought it did end??? He just wasn't at the meeting but we all came to an agreement. World means all the earth, air, water and sky but not the people. People have to get a membership card or be selected to be part of the world.

6. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, fiddlesticks! RB, I pinned my hopes on you and now you've gone and deflated me. You mean to tell me this thing is going to go 'round and 'round for another twenty thousand posts?

You folks could sure save a lot of keystrokes if you'd just believe like I do.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

This verse means world.
    Especially since the very next verse quanitifies the preceding one. That He came into the world and the world knew Him not. Knew refering to a relationship.
    His own refering to those who was supposed to have this relationship did not recieve Him. But to them that DID RECIEVE Him They, God gave the right to be called His children - then it repeats itself to further the point. Even to them that Believed on His Name (authority)

I believe that verse 1-18 of John give basic precepts of what the Book of John is saying.

And just in case any ask. The how come no one received Him. Jesus is the Truth and the Light. both can be synonomous of each other and in a sense are. But this light had to first teach, disciple, then die, and rise again before that light would so shine or bring light in darkness.

#7 Allan, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  8. Rex77

Rex77 Member

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Just wondering if God has elected us to salvation why have we got to
    make it sure ??????????

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

The word sure is in the metaphorical sense. Do those things that give proof to who you now are.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Why do you think that election has anything to do with spiritual salvation?

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, at least one person knows what "knew" means.

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Election deals with God's work towards us. Assurance deals with our own confidence in him. According to 2 Peter, our spiritual growth gives us assurance of our election.

13. reformedbeliever

Well I'm learning something from this thread... thanks. The word world can mean litterally every individual in the context of the fact that all men loved darkness rather than the light. The fact remains that in order to see the kingdom of God, one must be born again. Not everyone will be born again of the Spirit of God. No one who is born again, is born by thier supposedly free will (John 1:13). The reason I was saying that the world in John 3:16 didn't mean every individual is because not every individual would be born again. I believe John 3:16 is in the context of God loved the world in this manner....... or in this way.... that he gave His only begotten Son. John 3:16 is still not a universalist meaning in that everyone can be saved..... only those who are born again of God's initive.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree, but would say "Not to worry about ending the debate." I feel fairly sure it will still survive this. :BangHead: :eek: :tonofbricks: :rolleyes:

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Me, I'm just wondering what this actually has to do with the OP or this thread? :confused:

Ed

#15 EdSutton, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  16. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Born again

Only believers will be born again.

You do not need to be born again to believe, just to enter heaven.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ah'm not 'zackly shore, hyere, but Ah thank some body'z "got some 'splainin' to do!" ??? :confused:

Ed

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Apparently being born again is no guarantee that you will see the kingdom of God, at least not in this life.

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

See

Come to Jesus as a child, trust in Him and you will not be disapppointed.

You can still believe not being born again, but to enter or see the Kingdom of God you have to be born again.

There is hope for the world through Jesus Christ trust in God through Jesus not in men.