1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Your Church have Age Requirement for baptism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Dec 29, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

well, another baptist church that follows the same type of practice that we hold to!

Think that makes sense, IF one views the ordinence as being the enrty way into local church membership, and all the rights that would entail!

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wisdom from Charles Spurgeon:

"What would you think if I introduced six children to you whom I saw, one after another, last week, and who all came forward with eagerness to say, “We have been washed in the blood of Jesus and we want to join His Church”? I said, “Come along, my children; I am glad to see you.” When I talked with them and heard what God had done for them, I had great confidence in proposing them to the Church! I have not found young converts turn back. I usually find that these young ones who are introduced early to the Church hold on and become our best members!"

3. JesusFan

what about the multitude though that say there are now saved, yet when become older, turn backs on Christ?

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello IntheLight,
    I cannot speak for all and do not attempt to do so. Some of the concern is not in believing that someone is saved. It is more a concern that God has done a real work and the person is not just being manipulated emotionally, and making a false profession in the flesh....that will do them or anyone else no good.
    Have you ever noticed that some parents tell their child their is a santa claus, or an easter bunny, and the child -believes- that. That does not save either...but the child believes it. Salvation is God given and spiritual...it is not just a repeating of something your parents say.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==To be honest, I don't believe that is a legitimate use of Scripture in the church. I know several very young children who do more evangelism than most pew warming adults. They will bring their friends to AWANA Bible study or church. So I don't know that it is true that children don't understand what baptism (etc) means. If they are properly taught it does not seem to be an issue.

All of that said, if a church wishes to pursue the policy you mentioned it is not that big of a deal in my mind. Keep in mind that we do not have to admit to membership everyone who is baptized. My church does extend membership to youth (even 7, 8 yrs old). However they don't vote in business meetings. I'm not sure if there is a rule about that on the books or if it is just the fact that most kids don't care about business meetings. It is just not a problem.

#25 Martin, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
  6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is faulty logic.

There is no mention of a time delay in the Bible, so there is no expansion or latitude for imposing an age requirement. There are plenty of examples of people being baptized immediately after believing. In Acts 16 the Philipian jailers entire family believed and was baptized.

32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized.

I'm afraid your church is making up extra-Biblical requirements that could be a burden on people.

7. JesusFan

Think we would just be making sure the child was saved, based upon Him knowing jesus as his saviour, and not just because of the faith of MoM and Dad!
    many think they were OK because they were "born" Christian, parents were christians, attended their church etc!

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Isn't that the essence of Calvinism though, that those lucky enough to be born to Christian parents are much more likely to be elected?

[calm down..it's a joke!]

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Joking aside. That tends to be true of people both in and outside of Calvinism. We tend to view our families as unique. I guess it is just natural but it is also one reason why inner-family evangelism tends to be weak.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are they truly being evangelistic? or are they trying to get points for their Awana team, pass a book section or other such reason? Does the new friend come to win the weekly team prize, nothing else to do ect?

Please realize, I am thankful for every child who comes to Awana! :thumbs: But 30-45 minutes of "Council Time" and devotion time once a week 40x a year is only a scratch for a young child who comes from a secular home.

Sometimes, we need a little bit of patience.

Salty

ps - I spent 7 years as a clubber

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's another!

Joining the aforementioned Hardshellers, Reformed Baptists, etc., in this aberration were the registered Baptists of the USSR. Bowing to Soviet pressure, in 1960 they forsook baptizing believers under age 30.

12. JesusFan

Looks like whole lotsa of sinning going on then, Eh?

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In the association I am in(Indian Bottom Assoc. of Old Regular Baptists), we are to take any pre-teen who wants to be baptized, and put them under "watchcare" for six months.

14. JesusFan

In order to make sure that their new life in Christ was legit and actually happened?

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not up to mortals to decide who is saved and who is not saved.

16. JesusFan

peter asks us to make our election and calling sure though!

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, make sure of our own salvation. Nothing about judging others.

18. JesusFan

we don't do it for purpose of judging, just to allow other person to know what getting saved meant, and how water baptism now applies!

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but you ARE judging.

20. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

God did not put an age requirement on baptism, so neither do we. Our children's pastor meets with the child & parents to confirm the child's understanding of salvation. The final decision is left to the parents.