1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dos God ever really change His mind?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we read the various conditional IF statements in the Bible, is God really stating that He will change His mind, or speaking down toour levels?

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    II Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

This and other "if statements" in the Bible are simply indicative of the fact that God did not create a race of mindless robots. He gives men a clear choice here. "IF you do this, then I will do this. IF you do not do this, then I will do this." It is not God changing His mind; it is God keeping His Word either way.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe every choice people make is for a reason. And Paul says: “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:13) (KJV 1900) So we freely choose according to the reasons God sends that we base our choices on.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All choices that lost people make though is due to what their sin nature is dictating to them to be able to do!

5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true. But every choice has a reason and fallen nature is one of the many reasons people choose sin.

6. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 32:7-14 NASB
    7 Then the LORD spoke to Moses, “Go down at once, for your people, whom you brought up from the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves. 8 They have quickly turned aside from the way which I commanded them. They have made for themselves a molten calf, and have worshiped it and have sacrificed to it and said, ‘This is your god, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt!’” 9 The LORD said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and behold, they are an obstinate people. 10 Now then let Me alone, that My anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them; and I will make of you a great nation.”

11 Then Moses entreated the LORD his God, and said, “O LORD, why does Your anger burn against Your people whom You have brought out from the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians speak, saying, ‘With evil intent He brought them out to kill them in the mountains and to destroy them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your burning anger and change Your mind about doing harm to Your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” 14 So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

"Does God ever really change His mind?"
    YES.

(Which is, ironically, part of God's plan.) James 5:16 "Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much".

7. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A conditional IF statement isn't really GOD changing his mind. He simply presented two possible actions with two possible outcomes. The perfect example is the initiation of the Covenant of Moses with the 'children of Israel' where GOD sets before them BLESSINGS for obeying and CURSES for disobeying. The decision of God to respond to obedience and disobedience is set. That the people have been made aware of both outcomes changes nothing of GOD's plan. Most will disobey, but God will preserve for himself an obedient few.

• Agree Agree x 1