1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured DoUnaccredited, Local-Church Bible Colleges....

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by ktn4eg, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Perhaps my OP might have been somewhat misleading because I used the word "college."

Suppose, for example, a local Baptist church decided to conduct what it called a "Bible Institute."

This "Bible Institute" would be open to anyone. (That is to say, any one who wanted to attend it, whether or not the person was a member of that particular local Baptist church or not.) Also, this "Bible Institute" would charge some kind of an "admission fee," and it would also charge for any textbooks, etc., that the instructors chose to use for the instructor's class(es).

The instructor also would be given the liberty to administer whatever quizzes and/or tests that he chose to give.

At the end of each term, each student would be given a grade, and that grade would appear on what I suppose you would call the student's academic record (something like a transcript).

Since this local Baptist church's "Bible Institute" would not have any sort of "official standing" (either from the state in which the "Bible Institute" was physically located [Most likely in one of that local Baptist church's buildings]) or from any kind of accrediting agency, the student's academic record would most likely not be qualified to be considered as "college level" credits--even though the class work might be just as rigorous as some college level class work would be.

What I was really asking in my OP was, given the criteria in this post, do you think it would be appropriate for a local Baptist church to operate such a "Bible Institute"?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Autonomy you know :) why not? I would use the best teachers available and keep the standards high no matter what you have in mind.

I know of one Institute that arranged for credits to transfer to a Bible college in the area. (for those that might ask which schools were involved, sorry memory or lack thereof - will post if they come to me - it was one of the older full time institutes.)

Mostly is up to the church - their intent and purpose. As with everything do a Chtist like job of it if you are going to do it.

Be up front with students with what they are getting.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I think it is a wonderful idea for churches and associations to offer educational opportunities. However, when the notion of offering "credentials" of some sort, then accreditation through some recognized legitimate organization should be in the mix. I know, through the advent of the internet, there are numerous such organizations, many of which, because of my "bias" I would be reluctant to consider as legitimate.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with that but aren't you then limited to teaching Bible-related topics?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is exactly why. Any learning institution that is not accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the US Department of Education are usually below standards. In many states, producing degrees or diplomas from such institutions are against the law, especially in states like Oregon and Idaho.

Here is a link to Almeda University. It is not accredited except by an agency they created. One basically sends in several hundred dollars, writes a few papers, and the degree, transcripts and the whole package comes in the mail. There is even an 800 number to confirm the degree if an employer seeks verification. It is nothing less than falsifying ones qualifications for a job.

http://almedauniversity.org/about-our-programs.html

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

That is why I referred to it as a BIBLE institute!

By its very nature, a BIBLE institute would be limited to teaching BIBLE - related topics.

Now, a Bible institute might also offer such subjects as Biblical languages (Greek, Hebrew, etc.) as well as other topics that relate to things mentioned in the Bible (Biblical archaeology, ancient history of nations that are mentioned in the Bible, etc.); but a Bible institute most likely would not offer such technical subjects such as advanced calculus or nuclear physics because subjects such as these would probably have very little relevance to strictly Biblical subjects.

Hopefully this helps you to clarify what I would consider suitable classes for a BIBLE institute.