1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr Ketchem/Mt. Linage of Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bartimaeus, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

I just read a sermon by Dr. Ketchem. If I understood him correctly he states that the Mt. linage of Christ is stated to show that Christ can be heir to the throne of David as Joseph's adopted son. Jeconiah's curse rendered Joseph's blood seed ineligible, but through adoption or something similar (heir by anything but blood) makes Christ's claim valid. I hope I presented Dr. Ketchem's position correctly and I hope you all can comment with what little I have offered. Please forgive any mis-information that I have stated. I will go back and read it again and correct the position later if necessary.

Thanks Bartimaeus

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I know nothing about any Dr. Ketchem, but would basically agree with this. Although I would refer to it as the legal son, and therefore legal descendant of Jeconiah. As the 'sceptre' descended through Jeconiah from David, the line had to come through him, but God had "written him childless" with a curse, stating that none of his "seed" should sit on the throne. So the one who is to sit on the throne must be the "son of Jeconiah", but cannot be the "seed of Jeconiah", and at the same time be the "son and seed of David". Through the marriage of Mary and Joseph, and the virgin birth, God fulfilled all the qualifications in the Lord Jesus Christ. I have often said that Joseph is every bit as important as Mary as the mother and father of Jesus. For Joseph indeed was his (legal) father, but not his sire.

Ed

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed as well. Many make out that Jesus is NOT Joseph's son, but Jesus Himself recognized that He was and is called that.

The royal bloodline through Mary (Luke 3) bypasses the judgment so by blood from her and adoption from Joseph (Matt 1) Jesus had every right to claim kingship of David.

And did. And does!

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Dr. Ketchem/Mt Linage of Christ

Thank you both for your input and insight. It helps me to know the purpose of the linage given in Matthew. I hope others gained also.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist