1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Packer's Top Three...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jan 30, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Last evening I was listening to an interview, featuring the distinguished theologian, Dr. JI Packer, where he lists the top three translations a person must own:

1. KJV

2. ESV

3. NLT

Not in this order, but each for its merits. The KJV because of its poetic flow and so on.

The ESV because it's a good balance between formal and functional.

The NLT because a person needs a good paraphrase.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll have to disagree with the esteemed Dr. Packer who I regard very highly . First of all the ESV is not such a good balance between formal and functional -- that spot is where the TNIV , HCSB and NET Bible fit .

Technically the NLTse is not a paraphrase . It is a functional equivalent translation , and has moved a couple notches closer on the continuum toward the formal equivalent . It has inched its way toward that realm more than the NLT1 .

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I quite agree with you.

NET and HCSB are definitely the best mediating Bibles around. I got serious issues with the TNIV (Rom 16:1; 1 Tim 3:11, see those).

Maybe the NLT1, but not the NLTse--I think it's a great marriage between formal and functional. :thumbs:

I plan to spend more time with the NLTse this year.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The TNIV is imo the best all around translation out there right now. None are perfect, but the TNIV strikes the best balance between readability and scholarly usability

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You maintain that the HCSB and the NET Bible are good mediating translations . ( I would add the TNIV and ISV too .) But you now say that the NLTse is a good balance between formal and fuctional . However , you would still have to go several steps to the right of the chart to the position where the NLTse is situated .

You know how much I appreciate the NLTse . But it's not in the spot you have assigned it . The REB , NJB and Norlie are its companions , not the HCSB and NET Bible .

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Your assessment of the NLTse is well put. I agree that it's more to the right.

NET, HCSB and NET are definitely mediating Bibles.