1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dr. Paige Patterson speaks out

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Salty, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i dont know what more Calvinistic even means....please put it in context.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presbyterian doctrines being pushed? Yea which ones?

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what is being addressed is what in some Bible Colleges and Seminaries is called "Snack Shop Theology." It would seem some of the students got fairly militant with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair question, but not an easy answer. For militant five-pointers, they say the five pointers all stand or fall together. I don't believe that, but there is some truth there. I don't think there are only two ways to think about the issues (the old Arminian vs. Calvinism divide). I do not have a formal systematized understanding (nor do I think it is essential), but I lean very heavily toward Calvin's five points, but leave room for free will outside of God placing the choice to choose Him within us.

I think that militant five-pointers incorrectly label choosing Christ as a "work" and characterize it as "earning." Faith, including saving faith, is not opposed to effort, it is opposed to earning.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you allow me to define "free will" as "to make choices" then I agree. I too would, in that situation, be a compatibilist.

I believe faith is a gift from God. It is not a "work" because a work can exist apart from the metaphysical and faith (in this limited sense) can only result from God's gifting.

See above. :)

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To add:
    some of the students got fairly militant with it and were starting to run amok.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So thats what you call it .... (Compatibilist)! I have always believed that (1) We are all dead in our sins, (2) The HS revives us (3) We then develop a conscience & our heart begins to change to on of mercy & humility. This is basically an act of God & thus we are regenerated. Now I can choose on my own what I want to eat for lunch and if I want do fly a kite or go to work, that is my choice. God doesn't influence this.....otherwise we would truly be puppets with the lord pulling all the strings. Have I got the jist of it?
    I agree.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, with the added facet that the unsaved person also has the ability to make choices, but his choices are limited by his moral nature. He can never choose, on his own, to make a choice to believe God, to love God, to obey God, to follow God. Those choices would be outside his moral nature.

(By way of illustration, no matter how much I may want to walk on the ceiling like a fly, I can't do it because I am not a fly and thus walking on the ceiling is not within my nature.)

And this illustrates the error Arminians make. They confuse free will with the ability to make choices. They are not the same. But when properly defined the two views are seen to be compatible. :)

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, He may influence us but He does not control or compel our choices. He has enabled us to make the right choice (go to work, using your example) but also allows us to make the wrong choice (play hooky).

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Mark Dever tweeted:

11. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sure, 1 John 4:8 we see God is love, we know God created the angels and all creation was good. God loves all his creation.

The problem with the devil isn't God's love its the devil's own rejection.

From the catechism: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm
    ==
    393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels' sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."272
    ==

Love of enemy is a quality of perfection that is God too.

Matthew 5
    43“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ 44“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46“For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47“If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Luke 15

1Now all the tax collectors and the sinners were coming near Him to listen to Him. 2Both the Pharisees and the scribes began to grumble, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
    3So He told them this parable, saying, 4“What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5“When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6“And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7“I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

8“Or what woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9“When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!’ 10“In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

God will "hate" the 99 and love the lost one. A good parent with 2 children, one is having a birthday party the other is in a hospital, the parent is going to go to the hospital.

As a Christian your priority should be the sinner to repent.

It may help to remember that a sin is something God doesn't want. The devil hating God is certainly a sin. The devil was once an angel most exalted one of all, anointed by God. Ezekiel 28.

If God hated the devil or anyone for that matter, The Devil would "win". Evil wants hatred, evil says violence, force, hatred gets things done.

The devil is not sin, but he sins.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but there is a time He didn't....have you read Joshua?

The problem with the devil isn't God's love its the devil's own rejection.

From the catechism: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm
    ==
    393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels' sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."272
    ==

Love of enemy is a quality of perfection that is God too.

Matthew 5
    43“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ 44“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46“For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47“If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Luke 15

1Now all the tax collectors and the sinners were coming near Him to listen to Him. 2Both the Pharisees and the scribes began to grumble, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
    3So He told them this parable, saying, 4“What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5“When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6“And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7“I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

8“Or what woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9“When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!’ 10“In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

God will "hate" the 99 and love the lost one. A good parent with 2 children, one is having a birthday party the other is in a hospital, the parent is going to go to the hospital.

As a Christian your priority should be the sinner to repent.

It may help to remember that a sin is something God doesn't want. The devil hating God is certainly a sin. The devil was once an angel most exalted one of all, anointed by God. Ezekiel 28.

If God hated the devil or anyone for that matter, The Devil would "win". Evil wants hatred, evil says violence, force, hatred gets things done.

The devil is not sin, but he sins.[/QUOTE]

And he (the devil) entices to sin.... have you studied the devil much?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How very gracious.....but who is Mark Dever really? Is it that you think anyone really cares what he thinks, I certainly dont. ahhhh but anyway, Ive always believed that Baptists who believe in Doctrines of Grace should leave the SBC in mass......But not to Presbyterian Churches!!!!

wonder what that Purposeful Life Guy.....ahhhhh, oh Rick Warren would say?!?

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark Dever was keynote speaker at the inaugural conclave of a(nother) 'Reformed Baptist' denomination last month:

https://www.reformedbaptistnetwork.com/speakers/

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously, I could not care less. His defense of PP is not condoned by many who clearly see his agenda. I didnt like PP's commentary.....it was offensive. At the very least, he should learn the differences between Presbyterian doctrine & Particular Baptist & Primitive Baptist beliefs.

16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you'll find you can.

Matthew Sattler shall be committed to the executioner. The latter shall take him to mthe square and there cut out his tongue, and then forge him fast to a wagon and there with glowing iron tongs twice tear pieces from his body, then on the way to the site of execution five times more as above and then burn his body to powder as an arch-heretic.

Do you think that might do it?

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has wrath upon te unsaved at time of Jesus coming again, correct?

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was upset tha there were some trying to get Baptist to become "reformed calvinists" such as Preby, correct?

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was talking about these young cals who hold to this "New Calvinism" which holds to doctrines and practices contrary to Baptist Doctrine.

20. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Albert Mohler is one of the biggest names of the New Calvinist movement. What does he hold contrary to baptist belief?

Or even Matt Chandler....what does he hold contrary?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.