1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Stanley Grenz

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey All,

I don't know if you realize it or not, but Evangelical scholar Dr. Stanley Grenz died in the last day or so.

He was a very controversital theologian but saw the new rash or Post-modernism as a great opportunity to get the Gospel out. Because of some of his views he was not liked by some. But, he helped me in many ways; especially in the areas of deconstruction and post-modernity.

Responses???

sdg!

rd

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

We can still pray for his family.

3. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

4. HJLogan

HJLogan Guest

I was tremendously shocked by the death of Dr Grenz. I serve in a Baptist Union of Western Canada church and he was well known to our congregation. I was looking forward to seeing him at the end of April.

His writings have been influential, like his conclusions or not he, always tried to bring theological discussions into the pews.
    Sadly his passing came on the same day that we (of the BUWC tribe) held the funeral for Shirley Bentall - another leader in our ranks.

Miigwec

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Koreahog,

I believe David Dockery has said it well. I was blessed to be at the UnionU conf. when Dr. Grenz gave his paper "I Am a Pietist With a PhD." Very profound and moving, but I did not know then the ramifications behind the meandering conclusions of the paper.

sdg!

rd

6. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Dr. Dockery is a great, conservative scholar. I don't see how prolific writers and scholars like him also have time to be presidents of universities. I have neither heard Dr. Grenz speak nor read any of his works, so I have to plead ignorance about him.

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    koreahog2005

If you choose to read one of his volumes I would suggest his short work, "A Primer on Post Modernism."

It changed my understanding of what the philosophy was all about. I was taking PhD level course on Contemporary Rhetoric at the time and it opened my eyes and gave some needed light to the whole deconstruction world view and methodology. Check it out!

sdg!

rd

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

9. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Rhetorician,

I too was at that conference. Grenz' paper sent a buzz through the conference attendees and the students (I was a student then). I disagreed with his conclusions, but I did get the chance to have lunch with him and found him to be a very inviting person. I must say, though, he seemed like a very intense person, like he took his work and what he did very seriously. That is not a knock on him, just an observation.

In any event, Grenz' passing is definitely a loss for the greater conversation in evangelical theology.

Lon

10. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

With regards to Dr. Dockery's article in the Baptist Press: I like Doctor Dockery. Neverthless, I must say that this particular "eulogy" lacked class. Whether or not a particular Baptist veered off orthodoxy, one should not begin picking apart his theology in the Baptist Press just two days after his death. It is also most unfortunate to begin quoting other scholars who have publicly critized Grenz in the past in this present situation. It makes these scholars look just as classless. All of this appears to be a great kick in the bottom as he leaves to be with the Lord. Was this evangelical Baptist so dangerous that we have to quickly pollute his memory two days after his death so that no one mistakes praise of character for acceptance of doctrine? I certainly hope Dr. Grenz's family doesn't read the Baptist Press. For shame.

11. Broadus

Broadus Member

Your point is taken, but I didn't read Dr. Dockery's article in the same vein as you did. It didn't appear negative or a "great kick in the bottom." Rather, I thought it was a compassionate and forthright "first person" article from one theologian about a theologian-friend with whom there was a recognized difference.

Blessings,
    Bill

12. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

Again, I like Dr. Dockerey. He is a family friend. I am sure that he and Dr. Grenz were friends. Also, I have no problem with two good scholars "duking it out" over differing theologies. I simply think that it was tactless of Dr. Dockery to write an article about a fried, two days after that friend's death, that criticizes that person's theology and questions that person's orthodoxy. Waiting a few months would have been preferable. I am sure that Dr. Dockerey was not intending on being "classless", I simply believe that he was not thinking. It appeared that he was more interested in critizing his theology than celebrating his life or ministry.

13. Broadus

Broadus Member

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Blessings,
    Bill

14. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

No problem.