1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Draft: The Liberal Media Is At It Again

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Martin, Apr 14, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every now and then, when there is a slow news cycle, the liberal media starts trying to frighten people into thinking the draft is about to return. That is exactly what our friends at CNN are doing this morning. Even though a return to the draft seems highly unlikely, if for no other reason because of the politics, they keep beating this drum.

So, do you buy the liberal media's fear mongering?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Btw, CNN is still at it. I just returned from the grocery store and while I was riding in my car I was listening to CNN Newsroom on my XM radio. Guess what the topic was? The draft. Of course they keep pointing out the administration and the army continue to say that no draft is needed yet they continue to ask the question in an attempt to scare people.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The media only publishes the fearmongering propaganda of the neocons. There is to be sure many liberals in the media but, the media is owned and operated by a handful of neoliberals you know, Bush's bosses. We have too many other countries to invade and privatise for the IMF and World Bank and the transnational corps and banks in the future, there will have to be a draft sometime in order to accomplish their completion of the NWO.

#3 poncho, Apr 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

5. billwald

billwald New Member

It is the govt that generates fear.

The pole subject has nothing to do with the topic.

Sooner or later the govt will run out of deperate people who volunteer. Govt reports that the enlistment of African Americans - the most recent source of cannon fodder - has dropped.

6. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

How long do you think Bush should extend the military commitment for young people who volunteered in good faith? Two years? Three years? Four years?

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Any one foolish enough to enlist now should be kept in for life. They are not safe loose on the streets.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The maligning of the character of our service men and women in harms way is inappropriate, immature, and rediculous. such language should not be allowed on any board in America.

9. Jaaaman

Jaaaman New Member

Amen. We should be praising their sacrifices and praying for their safety.

10. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My son just entered the Navy in January. I object to your calling him a fool. I know him as a dedicated young man interested in bolstering America's security.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Also, when you enlist, you may only be listing for four years of active service, but there is an additional amount of time that you may be recalled or retained at the military's whim.

Most of these men and women are aware of this, but a few use the, "I only joined so I could go to college for free!" sort of excuses.

Most of our men and women in the military are fine, upstanding individuals. However, I hear many liberals who don't like the war complain about these men and women being retained legally.

When I was in, my total commitment was for 8 years, with only 4 years being active, with a little clause that said they could recall me as long as I was eligible for service. I knew it going in, and I gladly accepted it.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I never thought of myself as "cannon fodder" while serving our nation and neither do most of those still serving today. Nor did I ever think of myself as a "desperate" person who could do nothing else in life except be a warrior - as if it were some kind of inferior task - and neither do those that serve today. A draft, on the other hand, might create a small class of "desperate" persons very concerned with their own hides but would, as always, yield a large group of capable and dedicated warriors ready to serve their nation however they might be needed.

I can certainly understand how, sooner or later, those serving grow tired of hearing those not serving continue to demean them, proclaim their cause is unjust or illegal, proclaim their leaders are stupid and corrupt, and, oerhaps worst of all, proclaim all their efforts are in vain because they'll surely loose. Fortunately, our warriors are still smarter and more dedicated than those in the antiwar camp. May God grant our warriors the strength and wisdom to continue.

#12 Dragoon68, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What sticks in my craw are those who either criticize the war, or think we should escalate the war who not only were never drafted, they never served.

They either 1. Wave their flags, sing "God Bless America", get an adreniline rush when they sit their fat carcasses in front of their movie screen wide TV in their air conditioned house as the news media reports another American or Iraqi death. They put their flags on their cars and fly down the interstate. The problem is they never lifted a finger to serve, nor had to make a sacrifice as a family member of one who served. They do not have a clue as to what the price of freedom really is. To them it is another video game.

or two, those who never served flapping their jaws about how wrong the war is.

The best thing these two groups could do is keep their mouth shut. It is beyond me how someone who never experienced something can be so vocal about a subject.

Instead of the news media being doing the draft fear monger thing, maybe they should report and paint a picture of how greatful we should be as a nation, that today in America, unlike 35-40 years ago, we have the right to decide whether to serve or not. And maybe all of you who never served should be a little more thankful.

Having said all of that, the subject of George Bush and ineptness is a seperate issue.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I must disagree. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps. And if I could I would serve another 4 years to protect the right of idiots to make inane comments about our service men and women. Besides I like to know where these jokers are so I know to watch my back when I am around them. I support their right to open their mouths and display just how ignorant they are in a public setting where they should be so embarrased that they look for a rock to hide under. Americans shoud have the right to do this. So as to my original statement on this I repent.

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

May God grant our warriors the strength and wisdom to find the truth on their own because they sure aren't getting it from their government, leaders, teachers or the corporate media.

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

They're getting the ultimate real truth right there on the "battlefield", Poncho, just like the rest of us did. We all understand and communicate that truth very clearly. They are a whole lot wiser than many give them credit for being.

The lies come from the garbage the antiwar crowd spews out and, indeed, that group includes some members of the groups you listed as well as others although I seriously doubt we're thinking of the same specific individuals.

17. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So you're claiming that you have to serve in an unjust war to learn "the truth?" I learn the truth in Church every Sunday and in my own Bible study and prayer life. But you do it your way.

18. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That, StraightAndNarrow, was a ridiculous misrepresentation of the meaning of what I wrote!

The absolute truth of God is self evident in all that He is and does. We all seem to have trouble accepting it even though we know it. That comes from our natural rebellion against Him. None of us are exempt. None of us should be too quick to elevate ourselves in our understanding of it. I am surely among the worst of sinners so I won't claim any superiority to my ways in this respect.

The ultimate truth about the war in Iraq - the subject about which I wrote - is evident to those who serve in it. They don't need the lies of the antiwar crowd - wherever they might be - to understand what it's about or the part they're playing in it. They know firsthand the successes and failures of what they're doing. They live it daily.

Those that have been there understand it. A few that haven't might also understand it. Most others just don't have a clue. That's just the way it is!

This war is both completely just and completely legal. It's very important to the antiwar crowd to proclaim otherwise because it's the only way they can "justify" their opposition. Thankfully, the greater number of those serving know this just as the previous generations did when the last group of antiwar activists attempted to disgrace them by what they did. This isn't the first time we've seen or heard about such things.

19. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

What a crock!

You consonantly complain about what should and should not be allowed here.

If you don't like it here, leave. Please leave!

What is the point of having a "DEBATE" section of the board if we are not allowed to "DEBATE."

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

What an ironic, hypocriticle, and prejudice statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.