1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dreams

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never had a vision and I don't care if I ever do. I don't need a vision to line up with the Bible. I have the Bible. It is God's revelation and self-disclosure to mankind. I have the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit. There is nothing He cannot say to me in a vision that He would already say to me through His Word.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not an incorrect interpretation at all. God spoke in the past through dreams and visions, through prophets and miracles. But now Jesus is God's final word to us. Everything He has to say to us of a revelatory nature has been said. We find it in the Scriptures. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is God's final message to us.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't know what the millennium will look like, at least not in its entirety. My point was not about dreams and visions in the millennium, but about the fact that God has not poured out His Spirt on all flesh, yet. If dreams and visions are present in the millennium, they will not be like the stuff we see today that is being passed off as "dreams and visions."

#23 GoodTidings, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your physical heart is failing?

The dreams we have when asleep are not the kind of dreams that are in dispute in this thread.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It;s a free country you can believe anything you want to. Although all things are possible with God. There are no verses in the Bible to support a restricted God. There are verses to support visions and dreams and there meanings. It even states old men will have dreams
    MB

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait woah! You completely skipped over the dream peter had. Why? Further, the passage in Hebrews was not written when there was knowledge of a completed cannon. What you have done is misused that passage. Your interpretation is eisegetical.

7. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not about restricting God. I am saying anything about what God can or cannot do. I am saying that visions and dreams occurred at a time when there was no completed canon. Most dreams back then were revelatory in nature. The fact is that there is no further revelation from God. Jesus is the final word from God. Our canon is complete and we have everything we need.

Most false teaching today comes from people claiming to have revelatory dreams and visions and "prophecies" from God.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgot to mention that dream. It was revelatory in nature. We don't have need for revelatory dreams when we have the full canon of Scripture. There is no further theological/doctrinal revelation from God today. The Bible has a back cover for a reason. If we start getting new information through dreams and visions, there is a huge problem for us in determining which visions are actually from the Lord or not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reinforcement

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This verse is not a millennial reign verse:
    And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.​

The "last days" refers to the time from the day of Pentecost to the end of the age of Grace. This time. A time when apostasy is growing, persecution is enlarging, and believers will be without the Scriptures in their hand but must rely upon that implanted in the heart, by the memorization and work of the Holy Spirit.

I was active during the years when the communist block regularly imprisoned pastors and preacher who would not submit to state control.
    More often these would share how God would visit them in the midst of the most stress filled times, and remind them of the Scriptures, at times these didn't know if they dreamed or were awake.

The Holy Spirit is poured out on all flesh as Christ said, "And when he (Holy Spirit) comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:..."

This coming of the Holy Spirit was recorded in the book of Acts.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you then writing of day dreams?

The OP didn't include visions.

12. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am not talking about day dreams.

13. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit has not been poured out on all flesh. But the ultimate fulfillment of that verse has not occurred and will not occur until the millennium. You cannot look at the world or much of the Church and say that the Holy Spirit has been poured out on "all flesh."

14. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would the Word of God need reinforcement?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you have moved the goal post. Before you said it was since Jesus Christ. Now you say it is the back cover of the Bible. Which is it?

16. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not moved any goal posts. Jesus is God's final Word of God to man. Yes the final revelation of Jesus was the book of Revelation. I don't see the problem with understanding that there are no further revelations from God, and thus there will not be any more special visions or dreams from God. He has revealed all He is going to reveal to us. Everything I have said is internally consistent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When ya don’t get it the 1st time

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I am saying is you have not proven your point. The one scripture you used has nothing to do with your claim

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am skeptical of people that claim to get revelation from God via dreams. But what do you say to missionaries that report hundreds and thousands of conversions of Muslims that claim to have dreams about Jesus that causes them to read the Bible and/or seek out answers?

20. GoodTidings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is the final revelation of God to man. God spoke to us in various ways in the past, but Jesus is how God speaks to us today. Expanding on that fact, we don't need visions and dreams and God is not sending us dreams and visions since Jesus is God's final message to us. Everything God has to say to us is wrapped up in the Person and ministry of Jesus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.