1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dreams

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all know the story of Joseph - dreams from the Lord

But does God still speak to us in Dreams?

If a church member came to you and stated that they had a dream from God
    and wanted an interpretation - what would be your response?

2. Andrew69

Andrew69 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’d tell him I’m not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet and if anyone interprets his dream and it is contrary to scripture, the dream was not from God.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may give my opinion, but I do not have the gift to interpret dreams.

I do like the Cranberrys song, the Van Halen song, and the Fleetwood Mac song. But I don't think that this qualifies me to interpret dreams.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In the last days, old men shall dream dreams and young men shall see visions.". We are definitely in the last days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought we believe in Sola Scriptura?

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is what my dad said 50 years ago - in fact he went on to say that he believed that the Lord would return in his lifetime. -

Well, apparently Dad was wrong.....

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your dad was right. We have been in the last days since Jesus assertion to heaven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    guess you miss the second part of the statement of my dad

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't miss it. He believed. He didn't say He would.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently - this is now a waste of time -
    for two reasons -
    1) it is off OP
    So lets get back to talking about dreams

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was someone in another section (other denominations?) within the last few months started threads about very elaborate dreams he was having. It seemed odd to me and bordered on heresy.

I have heard stories from missionaries overseas of people claiming to have dreams or visions to go to a certain place and hear the gospel presented. That sounds reasonable and likely to me.

However, The issue, for me, is does the person believe they are receiving new revelation from God and how consistent is the dream to scripture?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Nebercunezzers(sp?) approach. Instead of telling the dream and asking for interpretation, have the interpreter tell what The dream was and then give the interpretation.

peace to you

14. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a dream, in the spring of 2019, that I didn't know at the time, was from God.

I couldn't have even told of the dream and didn't think anything of it.

But then in June of 2019, I got very sick on the road. Just 2 days into an 8 day trip. I didn't want to be hospitalized many states away from my wife, so I pushed on. High fever with intense nausea.

The last few days trying to get home I couldn't keep anything down. That last night on the road I knew I was in trouble. I asked the Lord to get me through the night and to let me take in water in the morning. I couldn't sleep at all. The first half of the night the nausea was relentless, but then I started singing a praise song and by morning light I was able to get up and guzzle and keep down about a third of a gallon of water.

When I made it home, and my wife saw my condition, she rushed me to the hospital.

I was only in the ER for a few minutes before they had me on a gurney and heading for a room.

As soon as they had me in the room and I looked towards the window, that's when the Holy Spirit brought the recall of the dream.

In the dream, I was hospitalized with the window in that exact position. I would be deathly ill and the doctors would be confounded with the illness but then I would rapidly improve and the doctors would not be able to explain my illness nor recovery.

So I start comforting my wife telling her that I've already lived this in a dream. I told her that I would get worse and then rapidly improve and that the doctors would be confounded by both the illness and recovery.

Sure enough, that's exactly how it went. She spent the first night in the room and decided to go home the second night.

The doctors were trying several medications to try to stabilize me but they were being stingy with the fever medication.

That second night, when my wife went home, the fever spiked severely. The nurses had to cover my body with icy rags to get me through the night.

When my wife got there that next morning, and the nurses told her that they weren't sure that I'd survive, she called my brothers and told them that they better get up to the hospital.

My middle brother made it up there to see me midday and later told me that he was scared that I might not survive.

But then that evening my oldest brother and his son, who are both nurses, made it up there.
    I was struggling to communicate for the first part of their visit and I could see the concern on their faces. But what I didn't know was that my nephew had resolved in his heart for them to lay hands on me and pray over me.

Just before my nephew told me his intentions, I felt a stream of sweat run down one side of my ribs and then I felt a stream of sweat run down the other side.
    And I began to be able to communicate clearly.

By the time they left, my fever and nausea that had plagued me for 10 days was gone. And stayed gone.

On the morning of the 5th day I was discharged and the doctors could only say that they were unsure of what I had.

They prescribed me steroids to take for months after.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God still speaks through them. I've had it happen to me on a single occasion. Not prophetical in that case, but merely lesson teaching.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally, no, God does not speak to us with dreams. God now speaks to us through His Son, that is, through the learning of His life and ministry by the gifts he gave to the church, the prophets, apostles, and evangelists (whose writings we have and are complete), and pastors and teachers who divide and serve those writings to the flock.

And through the Holy Spirit that the Son sent to comfort us, and to make intercession for us according to the will of the Father with groanings that cannot be uttered, not even through glossolalia.

If God gives someone a dream, then it is for that person, and my advice would be to go to Jesus in prayer for the understanding.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think @Marooncat79 said it best when he brought up Sola Scriptura. I’m leery of these dreams. I just wouldn’t give them the time of day, just tell them God’s word is sufficient, nothing needs added, nothing needs taken away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been in churches where people have preached and testified of dreams. The results were not good

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    can you give us an example or two?