1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Amen LadyEagle!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Wine in the Bible is a generic term. It can mean "fermented" or "unfermented", depending on the context. When "wine" is called a "mocker" it should be obvious that it means "fermented". When "wine" is the "wine that maketh glad the heart of man" is "unfermented" wine.

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I also believe the Bible is true and accurate, and when it mentions wine, it does not mean something else.

Also, when it mentions being a druckard is a sin, that DOES NOT mean the same thing as drinking from time to time.

It has been clearly seen that some passages posted in this thread have been taken out of context.

Doing that to "make a point" is a disgrace I feel.

Drinking is NOT a sin, being a Drunkard IS a sin.

Jamie

4. nate

nate New Member

This is true, nate. However, when Spurgeon saw a billboard advertising the cigars that he smoked--I believe the billboard said, "These are the cigars that Charles Spurgeon smokes" (not sure of the exact quote), he stopped smoking cigars altogether. He didn't want his name associated with smoking cigars.

Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)
    </font>[/QUOTE]True but he didn't believe smoking was wrong. He just didn't want to be associated with Cigars. He didn't think them non-biblical.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Wine in the Bible is a generic term. It can mean "fermented" or "unfermented", depending on the context. When "wine" is called a "mocker" it should be obvious that it means "fermented". When "wine" is the "wine that maketh glad the heart of man" is "unfermented" wine. </font>[/QUOTE]Please show me, or point me to a Non-denominational Christian website to prove this.

How are you to assume when and where the wine is or isn't fermented?

Please point me the direction of this information.

Jamie

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

If being fundementalest is believing in the traditions and teachings of men then you can have at it. If there were nobody to question such doctrines that are not suported by the bible we would all be Catholic.

So if this is a forum for only people who want to sit in judgement of others for breaking their made up rules and regulations, I will refrain from posting. Let me know if you want me gone, I will question you no more. You can believe what you wish without having to think about it at all.

I can see how you would not want people to question your doctrines as they have no basis in fact and fall apart at the first chalange.

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

How nice it would be just to feel comfortable making stuff up to suport your made up doctrine.

And I am being called liberal.

8. standingfirminChrist

One need not go to a website to find this out. One only need to read the Bible. And why do you want proof from a non-denominational website to support this? Are you non-denominational?

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

You know, I believe this also, however, in this very thread, people have included links to other "sources" to try to prove their point.

So it's not uncommon to ask for references when a statement is made that can't be backed up by the Bible.

Making this up as you go, and then having no way to show/prove your point is certainly questionable comments.

Jamie

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

First of all, you don't need to go to a website to find out if the word wine means "fermented" or "unfermented". The Bible will tell you this when it is read in context.

Second, why do you need proof from a Non-Denominational website? Are you not Baptist--or are you some other denomination?

11. standingfirminChrist

Everything I have posted has been from the Bible and has been taken in context.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

The problem with this picture is that there will be no balance. Things can be made up, and everyone will agree, and then someone new, a new Christian will come in, and start to believe in what is said.

I say, instead of leaving, continue to point out passages taken out of context, and then if it sticks, at least we will know it's valid.

Jamie

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it. 9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine , and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”
    11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.
    John 2:7-11

I read this. Oh, I need to read it your way, you mean what is says is not what is means. You will tell me what it really means.

If I read the bible like this I would have stayed a Mormon.

Now comes the scriptural acrobatics so you can fit the Bible to meet to your doctrine.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wine in the Bible is a generic term. It can mean "fermented" or "unfermented", depending on the context. When "wine" is called a "mocker" it should be obvious that it means "fermented". When "wine" is the "wine that maketh glad the heart of man" is "unfermented" wine. </font>[/QUOTE]This is false. Wine is wine. The following verse shows the difference between wine and juice from grapes given to the nazarite...
    Num 6:3 (ESV) he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink. He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried.
    Deu 14:26 and spend the money for whatever you desire--oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink , whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.
    To claim that wine is anything but alcoholic does great injustice to God's Word...and is pure eisegesis.

15. standingfirminChrist

Jesus, would not make alcoholic beverage for the guests at the wedding feast, as it was forbidden as per Proverbs 23. The guests had already 'well drunk'. Would Jesus not have been contributing to drunkenness if it were alcoholic beverage?

Don't try to accuse my Lord and Savior of sinning by putting alcohol to another's lips.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree. You make the passage fit your convictions instead of your convictions being based on the Scripture.

17. standingfirminChrist

My convictions are based on scripture, and the Holy Spirit has revealed to me through the written word that beverage alcohol in the life of a true child of God is forbidden.

Satan is still questioning God's Holy Word... 'Yea, and hath God said 'Do not have experience with the fermented drink? God surely did not mean this'

God's Word is truth.

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Come on this is the worst argument yet.

Did not God the creator create every plant that grows on this earth. Is God responsable for every pot head that smokes a joint. After all if God would not have created marijuana then they could not smoke it. For that matter is not God the creator of the fermentation process that makes alcohol in the first place.

Obviously we are responsable for our own use or misuse of the resorces God gave us.

Having a glass of wine with dinner is not a sin. Drinking a bottle to drown your sorrows is a sin. Making hemp rope to tie ships at harbor not a sin. Rosting a bowl defenantly a sin.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are obviously an eisogete.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus also fed a great multitude lots of food, so much so that there was food left over. If anyone ate too much, does that mean Jesus contributed to their gluttony?

You can skip over the fact that Jesus made the "best" wine (well aged, well refined per God the Father in Isaiah 25:6) all you want and deny the text. What does God the Son also have to say which wine is the best?

Luk 5:39 And no one after drinking old wine desires new, for he says, 'The old is good.'"

Don't accuse my Lord and Savior of being a liar! If He says the "old is good"...it is whether you admit it or not. It is IMPOSSIBLE for aged wine to be non alcoholic, especially in those days!