1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Drinking an alcoholic beverage could land you a job!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which, being interpreted, meaneth: Now THAT's what I wanted to hear!

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact he posed it as a topic in a debate forum kinda belies your assertion.

Duh.

:tonofbricks:

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm... Well lets just say as a norm I'd have one alone, but there are exceptions to the rule.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that Winman and my other critics will bring an accusation against me, and say I should not have been talking about christianity, and the like and they will say that the employer should not know these things. However if my critics bothered to think before they spoke they would see that when I submit a resume I am submitting my record which includes the two years I worked at BJU, and my BA degree from a christian university. This employer pointed that out in the interview and mentioned the alcohol issue. No matter how many times I tell Winman he will lecture me on me mentioning it and not my skills, when he was not there. My goodness!

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Persecution complex, much?

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP is very confused about the alcohol content of what's he's drinking, which is dangerous. He told me his favorite, 'Mike's Hard', is:

In reality, Mike's Hard Light is 3.2% and Mike's Hard is 5% ABV,.
    On the MolsonCoors site, the light beers range from 2-4%, and 5% is typical for the regular beers.

#66 Jerome, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Evangelist, you know you wouldn't have to make exceptions if you didn't drink at all?:smilewinkgrin:

But don't be discouraged about the attacks or the constant cynicism. This board is filled with some very nasty personalities that can be more toxic than the alcohol in a Mike's Hard Lemonade if you allow them to be.

Roll with the punches and recognize it for what it is. Be blessed today.:jesus:

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No question about it. Some here are really lacking in their love. Winman has turned this thread into a attack on me.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yeah and what if the employer asks you what you did not like about your last job or what you do not like in the workplace? Should I not mention these things?

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Why don't you try to start that business up again in, say, november? I bet you'd make a small fortune during that time in CT. :laugh: J/K :love2: :love2:

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Try not to EVER speak negatively about a former employer during an interview. That's on the big list of no nos. They'll think you will do the same thing to them if you ever leave.

If they ask what you did not like, say it in such a way that it doesn't sound like you're slamming the previous employee. For example, if the previous place of employment was chaotic and out of control, say something like "I wish we could have been better organized. I believe a little bit more structure would have allowed us to better accomplish our goals and meet our deadlines".

12. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I think evangelist needs to take a lawyer with him on his next interview and let the lawyer do the talking.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Believe it or not, one of my friend's uncle wanted to start a surf shop on Long Island and wanted me to build surfboards for him. Shapers made big money back then, but I was only 15 years old and scared to death of the responsibility.

You can make good money building surfboards, several of my friends I grew up with continue to build boards to this day and make a nice living.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better advice :)

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try making a living off that in Colorado.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

Ever been to Boulder?

[​IMG]

Oh, wait. You'll need a passport.

[​IMG]

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

It was a surfer named Mike Doyle that invented the snowboard that you see so much in Coloorado.

http://www.easyreadernews.com/68171...ame-inductee-doyle-set-standard-for-watermen/

You know, if you really want to do something, you can.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of Arminian are big on self-help and self-fufillment philosophy. As for me I subscribe to the verse that says I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me. This means that I can only do what He has allowed and has authorized. I cannot do everything, but I can do what serves the king. I am a SLAVE of God and seek to serve my master and my king. No this does not mean I will be able to get any job I want, or do anything I want, because my abilities, experiences, and opportunities may not be enough.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

So, are you trying to say if you can't get a job that it is God's fault? That sounds like what you are trying to say.

And getting a steady job and holding that job by showing up every day and doing good work is what the scriptures teach. It is not some sort of self-help philosophy.

2 The 3:8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
    9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
    10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
    11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.
    12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

Paul had the same "philosophy" as John Smith of the Jamestown colony who said, "He that does not work, neither shall he eat" because some folks were not working and taking advantage of others.

Now, I know it can be difficult to get a job out there, especially today, but when folks try to give you helpful advice, the least you can do is be respectful, even if you will not be thankful.

If you want to get a job, tell the interviewer how hard you will work, how you will show up every day and be dependable, how you will be flexible and learn, how you will strive to do a excellent job. Don't tell them your favorite drink is Mike's Hard Lemonade, and that you will not criticize them when they sin.

Your biggest problem is your attitude.

#79 Winman, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hell must have froze- I agree with you!