1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Question......

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Glad my rambling made sense. Of all the positions presented on the topic, the position I outlined is highly consistent with scripture, especially since the "all alcohol consumption is wrong" position is not consistent with scripture.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So what if a believer drinks every so often? What's the harm? None.

We don't need the law enforcement in our fellowships.

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Let me provide a tad more insight and see if this makes sense.

You have a close friend or relative that is an alcoholic, they can't go a day without, they drink when driving home, they drink we at home, they drink, a lot. If they go a day without it, they become someone you have never seen before, all of the withdrawl symptoms are there, easily aggitated, short, argumentative, stand offish, so on.

So, in your mind you don't want to never be around this person because of what they mean to you. You don't drink for personal reasons and you believe that for your it is wrong, but this person HAS TO HAVE IT. Really and truly they cannot function without it. Therefore they get a pass under your roof, because you don't want them to go without while they are staying with you because of what damage that could potentially cause and you don't want to deal with that.

Thoughts.....

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That person is welcome in my house, but if he's got a drinking problem, I won't let him drink in my house. I must definitely will not allow him to be drunk in my house.

That's a no-brainer. Doesn't matter of you believe drinkign is wrong or not.

TW, I have a friend whose an alcoholic. He hasn't had a drink in 15 almost years, iirc.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's a tough situation to be in. I would probably lay it all out there for them and tell them what I thought, but they would not be welcome to drink in my house. If they wanted to drink in their car (I have family members who will step out of the house to smoke when visiting), they can, but not in the home.

6. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

John, just wanted to bring up something here. You have posted this twice. I'm wondering about your reference to abusing drugs being ANY use of a controlled substance. I have a dr's script for a legal controlled substance. It is labelled with a special tag "controlled substance" to flag the person at the pharmacy window to request my driver's license. If this has already been addressed and I missed it I apologize. Just didn't want there to be any confusion. I know many Christians with these various scripts. There are several categories of them. OTOH, you may put such scripts in the abuse category, but I'm thinking you don't. But feel free to correct me there as well. Thanks. :wavey:

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Let me clarify. I was referring to the use of any ILLEGAL controlled substance as being a sin. Using a controlled substance that is legal, and doing so under a physician's care is perfectly permissible.

8. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Just to play devil's advocate, why is taking illegal drugs a sin?

9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Do we feel that dipping and smoking is a sin?

I know this horse has been beaten, but why is drinking allowable, but smoking is not?

Do we say its because of health concerns with smoking? Drinking causes damage as well. My Great Grandmother dipped until she died in her 90s, not of cancer but because God called her home, so the health issues aren't across the board with everyone.

10. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

The problem is this, I don't mind him drinking in my home is that's what it take for him to be remotely "normal" and in order to communicate.

He isn't drunk perse, because he is in a state of being relaxed. I don't think he can really get "drunk" if that makes sense. Like the amount he would have to drink would to equate to gallons of beer consumed in a matter of hours.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Because they're illegal, and we're called to submit the authority on such things.
    If it's being abused, then yes, it's a sin.
    Drinking is permissible so long as it's not abused. Heck, even Jesus drank alcohol.

#31 Johnv, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
  12. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Pardon me if someone else has already asked this. I skimmed the entire thread, but didn't read every single post.

I think I'm following you here JohnV, but let me ask this for clarity. Are you also implying that if a person's only purpose when drinking is to get drunk it's a sin?

I take that from your statement that anyone smoking pot to simply get high is a sin whether it's legal or not. (Which I agree with BTW) I'm just seeing if you hold to the same standard with alcohol.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, absolutely. If you're drinking for the purpose of getting drunk, then it's a sin.
    100% Yes, Si, Oui, Ja.

14. Servent

Servent Member

2Jn 1:9 Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son.
    2Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house, nor speak a greeting to him.
    2Jn 1:11 For he who speaks a greeting to him is partaker of his evil deeds.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does this have to do with the OP? :confused:

16. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

So am I in the wrong or sinning?

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you've got an alcoholic in your house, you shouln't be allowing him to drink. You're enabling his sinful behavior, plus you're making it more difficult to overcome the situation. You wouldn't let a cokehead do a line of cocaine in yoru house, would you? Then you also shouldn't let a drunkard drink in your house. The short answer is, if ya person does this, then yes, it's likely a sin, because they are enabling another to sin, and causing him to stumble.

#37 Johnv, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
  18. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Is drinking alcoholic drinks a baptist issue or a Biblical issue?

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since drinking alcoholic beverages is scripturally permissible, it's not a scriptural issue. If you're of a baptist fellowship or sect that eschews drinking completely, then it's definitely a baptist issue. Why do you ask?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If those verses are a case for abstenance based on Scripture, you missed the mark. You would be much better of quoting from Pauls letters about our body being the temple of the Lord, and a living sacrifice, plus his verses about being a stumbling block to others, a bad witness, and consideration for the weaker brother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.