1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Question......

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Or maybe it is a good witness that Christians are not moralistic, legalistic and works-centered.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I'll drink to that. (Iced tea of course). Seriously, one of the best posts I have seen on the subject. Excellent thoughts.

My idea is that one can make a case for that the Bible does not teach to abstain, in the technical sense of the term. However, if one factors in common sense, a witness, ruined lives, lost jobs, and broken families, why would anyone even play with it? To prove in post after post the the Bible allows drinking misses the whole point. Everyone who is saved has the Holy Spirit as a guide, and the answer should be quite clear.

#82 saturneptune, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
  3. Username

Username New Member

Alcohol abuse certainly ruins lives and families. I have no problem with folks not wanting to "play with fire".

With that said, the underlined portion of your post is not (necessarily) true.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If one does not drink, that is plenty of alcohol to impair judgement. The times I drank in the Navy (over 30 years ago), three beers would get me to fight anyone and four I was carried back to the ship. If you are talking about hard liquor, that is much worse. If two drinks does not affect you, you already way down the road to trouble.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same can be said of sex when abused...

The answer is quite clear: The abuse of alcohol is a sin, just like the abuse of anything is sin.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I cannot disagree with that, and do not judge anyone who drinks in moderation. For me, it is not where I have been lead. So how have you been doing Web?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you hit on a major thing...if the Spirit leads you to not drink even though Scripture allows it, you should not drink. The discernment comes in knowing whether it's the Spirit leading, or the culture and regulations of man.

I've been hanging in there...haven't been on here as much lately.

8. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Proverbs 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

That answers the question for me. We are not to be around them... that would include bringing them into our home.

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The Spirit would not go against the Scripture. If the Scripture tells someone it is ok to drink in moderation, then the Spirit is not going to tell the otherwise.

On the obverse, if the Spirit tells someone not to drink, the Scripture will as well.

The fact is, the Spirit does indeed tell us to abstain from wine that is fermented.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After all, the deprecations and false accusations of an ungodly society should be our first consideration when deciding a course of action. :thumbs:

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no good that comes from drinking wine. It doesn't build character, it helps no one in Christian virtue, it doesn't promote the Kingdom of God or the Gospel.

But the damage that has been done by something that so naturally lends itself to abuse is unquestionable. What's worse, those who've been saved out of it, and testify of it, and will no longer touch it are marginalized as unspiritual, legalistic, ignorant and superstitious.

Now tell me again how holy and righteous your moderate drinking is . . .

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

All your opinion of course.
    Everyone that has been 'saved out of it' obviously had a problem abusing it. Those that try to tell us that don't abuse it or have a problem to abstain as they do are legalistic and ignorant.
    Thanks for proving my point.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong on so many levels. The Spirit lead Paul to a single life, are you telling me everyone should be single?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Alcohol isn't a nutrient. And it's not necessary for preservation. And frankly, the taste of alcoholic drinks, unless it's the fruity kind, has to be acquired.

But then, if one is drinking for taste, why bother with the alcohol? There is no shortage of fruit drinks, and they're much less expensive.

So again, why bother with the alcohol?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for proving my point.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the taste of single malt Scotch --- 12 yr old. Go replicate that in a non alcoholic drink. Plus if you add fig newtons to it I will follow you anywhere. :laugh:

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the smell of tobacco. So?

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you can have a chaw but please dont spit in my general direction

Cheers

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Neither does baseball. Neither does mexican food. Neither does flying kites. Neither does driving cars. Neither does growing a beard. Neither does listening to Frank Sinatra. Neither does a fine dinner date. Neither does an entertaining movie. Neither does a front porch in late summer. Neither does shopping for clothes. Neither does smoking a nice cigar (which is, of course, a matter of conscience). Neither does mowing the lawn. Neither do a lot of things.

They are a matter of taste and conscience.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Of course not, but the same of Christians is not true, either.

The point is that drinking is not in and of itself a bad witness. Neither is not drinking necessarily a good witness.

In many cases it's out of a judgmental and self-righteous mindset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.