1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Driving 50+ miles to church???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 16, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread about the 12 most effective preachers, I brought up a quick discussion about
    driving an extreme distance to attend church.
    I am starting this thread, so I do not hijack the above link thread.

So why do people drive 50, 60, 80 miles to church.
    and from my statement in the link discussions, why do not mega churches
    organize mission churches with the purpose of elevating them to self-supporting status.

Open for discussion

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know why I don't drive that far. It makes involvement in other than worship nearly impossible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I went to a very good church a while back. One of the best preachers in the country and world. But when we moved to the next town we found a local church. But many people at that Church drove a long way, sometimes over an hour. The preaching was good, so I understand it. But I felt it was better to serve my local town in a local church.

That said, I'll refrain judgment. Maybe some people had too many close ties and weren't ready to break them. It really depends on the individuals. But yes, I do think in some cases it's a mistake.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To get properly fed under the preaching of an effective preacher.
    To serve more effectively.
    To be a part of a dynamic congregation that is growing.

They should do this. My church started a satellite church that's only 10 miles away from the home church. I actually thought it was too close to home, but it's working out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Local churches, preachers that do not teach-preach sound doctrine. Nothing hard to understand there.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Driving 50 or 100 miles is for old folk (like most of us) and for those in western outpost States.
    ...probably wouldn't encourage the kids to attend youth activities two or three times a week.​

Today's answer: telecommute; watch the sermon on the internet.
    Open the fridge and break out the crackers for communion.​

Rob

7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Megas around here are building satellite campuses as fast as they can afford them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    50, 51 whatever it takes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always wonder every Sunday why I drive 15 miles to go to a conservative SBC church when there is another, albeit smaller, conservative SBC church only a couple of miles away.

Then I remember the answer: my wife's friends go to the more distant one....

• Like Like x 1
  10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cases I've known were folks who could not find a church of like faith & order at a closer distance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can understand that to a point - but at some time that person should try to start a Bible study as a ministry of the church.

and course, I do understand out West - when the population is less than 25 people per sq mile.

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree wholeheartedly -- participating in a local church is the ideal, and should be worked toward. Though I would add that there may be some times when that person might not be competent to lead a Bible study. But, here is where the churches themselves may be falling down on the job -- in not trying to instigate evangelistic and missionary work in places where they have members spread out far enough that they can't actively regularly participate in the church of their membership. (And I would also understand this may not be practical in sparsely populated areas.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my case there is a church in Orlando that is a close match to my theological position. Unfortunately, it takes 60+ minutes to get there without traffic. There is no way we can be involved in Bible studies, fellowship, or outreach. We found a church in nearby Lakeland that is a 20 minute drive. It is not my ideal church in terms of doctrine but we are able to worship, serve, and build relationships. The community aspect of the body of Christ is very important to my wife and me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

P.S. Edited to correct typos.

#13 Reformed, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We tried to work into a Church very close to us,
    As we began to question the Pastor a bit more....He asked us to move on to churches that believe what we do.He was not comfortable being asked questions about the status of the church....so we have to travel further now....

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s interesting

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I carpooled as far as 75 miles one way per week for bible study for a year or so. Not so much for fellowship, but to learn. And I know some who traveled 40 miles one way per week for fellowship and worship when their local church went off the rails. I once traveled 200 miles to visit a church with friends who later moved there for worship and fellowship.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When a job change brought a move northwest from the church in which we served gratefully for 13 years, our 10 minute drive became an hour-plus. It was a bit less than 50 miles, but secondary roads and Maine winter added time on the road. However, I was in a leadership position, and the pastor requested that we stay until some ongoing issues had been worked out. For almost a year we would attend on Sundays while going to midweek prayer meeting at a like-minded church 15-20 minutes in the opposite direction. Those issues were satisfactorily resolved in late winter, and with regrets we said we would seek a church where distance would be less of a hindrance to full fellowship. (Note: The pastor of that "prayer meeting" church recommended that we look into a number of solid works before deciding, to ensure we would be where God wanted us to serve. We did a bit, but had no trouble deciding to add Sundays to the midweeks.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just cannot go to any church and hear the sound doctrine I listened to for 50 years... They do not teach Sovereign Grace like I've heard it all my life... The nearest church to me of my belief of the same faith and order is over an hour and a half away... In my younger days it would have been no problem but in the sunset of my years it is, I miss the fellowship but go with my wife to hers and filter out in my mind what I disagree with... I can hear a sermon anytime from my people at the click of a mouse and listen to many a week of the sound doctrine I grew up with, even though not there in body... I fellowship with the Christians at my wife's church and am satisfied with my lot now and where the Lord has put me... Brother Glen:)

Just a side note... I grew up in a family church and we were a small group and others church of our faith and practice were also small... Many children who grew up in the churches, left for one reason or another and never returned... Eventually a lot of the churches had to disband... The internet is a godsend and one can listen to any living or past preacher they want to... Also if you can't listen to a preacher you can read a sermon... There are always resources at hand!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have been dealing with my former pastor.

• Funny Funny x 1