1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drunk Drivers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jan 5, 2006.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the latest:

We can't find the lady that hit me (probably in jail)but here is the outcomes so far:

I had to pay $850 out of pocket for deductibles and rental car and may not see any of it back.

Since my insurance company doesn't think she has insurance they can't go after her for medical costs either.

This scenario just doesn't seem to be fair, but neither is life I guess. I do hope to get reimbursed for some of the cost and was even told I could get some money from my injuries, but it doens't look like it will happen.

But, God is in control!

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Always buy uninsured motorist coverage.

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I'm sorry!

When I bought our car insurance I wasn't sure if I really needed the uninsured driver coverage. I asked my agent how many people actually drive without insurance, and he said that at any given time about 20% of drivers are uninsured (most just because their coverage lapsed, not because they just choose to drive illegally without it). I don't know if that number is an exaggeration, but I bought the insurance!

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drunken driving should be an offense punishable by death. That being said...

You are right to have compassion for the one who hit you.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Here, drunk driving is treated like a sport or a right of passage. About 40% of drivers drive without insurance.

I think that first offense DUI should be a light sentence, such as 8 weekends of public service (such as cleaning trash) and a 1 year suspension of driving privileges. Second offense should be treated like a captital crime.

6. le bel

le bel New Member

Drunk driving in many other countries are punishable by a very heavy fine and at least 10 years in prison. That seems about right.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, no, the correct answer is always "doh!!! my back hurts!!!". Seriously, I'm very glad to hear that all involved are relatively unharmed. It was good of you to pray for the child. Pray also for the mother, that she can overcome her drinking problem. That child needs a sober mother in her life).

Hopefully, just as you did.

The initial moment of anger is quite normal. But you did not act on it, at least not to any significant level. Again, normal behavior. You controlled yourself, which is what a Christian should do.

You have an obligation to be honest and truthful in court. Let the court decide the driver's fate. It's not your burden to bear. But do not lessen the truth or facts of your testimony just because her penalty might be greater. That would be dishonest, and inappropriate for a Christian. You can empathise (I know I would), but do not let empathy obscure objectivity.

Don't be too hard on yourself, although again, doing so demonstrates that you are a healthy and compassionate human being.

As for "getting" anythign out of her, you said she had insurance. But whether she did or not, you're entitled to being made whole. In other words, she's legally (and, imo, morally) required compensate you for the cost of the damage to your car, to any cost derived from your injuries, includine medical bills and time lost from work, plus any costs derived from the incident, like a rental car, etc. I highly suggest you see a physician within 24 hours of the incident just to make sure you don't have any hidden injuries. You probably don't, but it's prudent to make sure. This is by no means "revenge". This is a matter of you having incurred costs (aka, damages), and she (or her insurance provider) has a responsibility to pay for the damages incurred by you. There is nothing unchristian or immoral about the idea of you being made whole. It is only wrong if you end up being made more than whole (such as: the accident cost you $3000, and you demand $4000). Any costs that you incurred (such as deductibles, car rental, etc), she is still liable for (the laws very fro state to state). But recovering these typically requires a trip to small claims court if she doesn't reimbuse you, which, having had to do this, is not that difficult to do (which is why it's often referred to as the peoples' court). Again, make sure you check out the local laws on what is recoverable before doing this.

[ January 20, 2006, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

8. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quick update on this sitaution:

This girl that hit me was out on bail and guess what? She wrecked the same car and committed another DWI just a couple weeks later. What makes matters worse is the fact that the next judge gave her bond again for only $1000. I guess she needs to kill someone for them to take notice.

On a totally different topic that may deserve its own thread relates to the insurance company trying to settle with me offering me $1300 which includes lost wages, rental car, and a $500 inconvenience payment.

My question is should I try to pursue more? This drunk really affected me and my family and she even put me on physical profile with my neck and back injuries. I have been told I could get at least $5,000 rather easily if I was to get a lawyer. Would it be right to do this as a Christian? It may make me out to look like a greedy person just out for some quick cash. Any thoughts?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Insurance companies like to settle quickly. I would not until you are sure your injuries are cleared by a doctor.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What have the Eldership of your church advised you to do?

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If what the insurance company offered you does not cover your expenses, then I would definitely get a lawyer.

And an additional note. I would not be in too big of a hurry to be cleared medically. I was in a relatively minor accident and went to the hospital for x-rays and etc. They cleared me and I accepted the settlement. It wasn't until around 5 years later that one morning I woke up and was in extreme pain and not able to lift my left arm even level with my shoulder.

Went to a chiropractor who happens to be a Christian. He did some x-rays and the first words out of his mouth were. "Were you ever in an accident where the left side of your body was impacted?" He could actually see the damage on the x-ray.

What hurt more was that at the time I started to suffer problems, I had no medical insurance so I had to pay out-of-pocket for the Chiro treatmants.

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a thought that I had that may illustrate the concepts of retribution and grace.

Maybe you could sue for damages and if you really didn't need the cash, give it to the foster parents of the child if the child gets taken away or give it to a responsible guardian of the woman with explicit instructions on its use.

It is a big investment of your time, energy and resources but maybe it will help some see Christ.