1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dual Band Router?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TomVols, May 30, 2011.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have a home network that runs a desktop, laptop, and a couple of iPod types. I want my laptop and desktop to share one printer. I also have my satellite and BluRay connected to the internet.

Do I need a dual band router? I don't think I do, but there's one that has a USB port (which I'd like to have to make printer sharing easier - right now, can't do it at all). I have a 1500 sq ft home on one level so I want maximum range and speed. Thanks.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are different speeds of routers, b,g and n, the n is the faster if that is in play in getting a new one.

USB would be nice, but you should be able to share a printer by hooking it to one computer, sharing it then on the other computer go to set up printers and one option is search for a shared printer, it should show up then you just use that icon.

Haven't run across a dual band so can't help you there. Don't know why it would be needed but it might have advantages ??

Edit: I just did some snooping and it indeed would have an advantage. (I'm still in the stone age tv wise so hadn't run into this stuff :) Here is a quote about a router that might clear it up a little, mentions a specific one but the concept is the same for all I'd think.

"BENEFITS OF DUAL BAND
    The D-Link® Xtreme N™ Dual Band Gigabit Router (DIR-825) uses dual band technology to support 2.4GHz & 5GHz wireless signals at the same time. This allows you to check e-mail and browse the Internet using the 2.4GHz band while simultaneously streaming High-Definition (HD) movies and other media on the 5GHz band. The DIR-825 is designed for users looking to get a true HD wireless connection that can handle multiple HD video streams throughout the house, while being backward compatible with existing 802.11g and 802.11a products."

#2 exscentric, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't know if "need" is the right word. I've just heard that some dual band routers sacrifice range and speed to be able to multitask, so to speak. I don't want to sacrifice either. I'm not complex enough to need the dual band, but it's only ten bucks more and I'd prefer to have a USB port (which the dual band has) so I can more efficiently share my printer. Right now, it's very difficult to do on the network.

I'll be fine either way. My big need is to have the router working well with good range/speed. Apart from that, all else is salad dressing. I'm sure dual band would be needed eventually but just not today.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Range would not be affected by the other items and speed would not be affected by multi tasking unless it was poorly designed IMHO, but that is a possbility.

Specs should give the values for the speed and range but as you probably know specs aren't reality but can give an idea hopefully. Kind of like mileage on the new car sticker and reality :)

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have (or plan to get) any device that works on the 5GHz band? Unless you do, there's no real advantage to having the dual band. My understanding is that the 5GHz band is less crowded, so there's less interference, but the range is less (for the same reason that UHF range is shorter than VHF).

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No. I purchased a dual band, but it would not work well with the direct internet connection. So I replaced it with a single band and it works just fine. I'm just having a hard time getting the new wireless router to shake hands with my DirecTV receiver. Had that problem with the old one, too.