1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dumb question about ...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Aug 15, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    mac os 8.

1. If I am in a directory and select all files/directories, how do I deselect one?

2. Is there a setting that forces it to copy empty directories when doing a select all and copy?

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

1. Once all are selected (highlighted), hold Ctrl key and select the one you wish to deselect. The remainder will stay highlighted, that one will not be.

2. Please explain further. It has been my experience that all directories are included in a "select all and copy", assuming PC using Microsoft, up to and including XP.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, instead of the CTRL key, you would use the Apple key on your Mac.

I don't understand your question either.

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the macintosh

Thought I tried mac key as well as every other key :) Will give it another try later today.

I have a cd of data and some of the sub directories are empty. When I select all and drag them to the new folder it begins copy but in the middle it will open a box telling me it can't copy to that folder (one of the empties) because it isn't found. I click ok and it stops the copy, leaving a lot uncopied.

Searched help files but I think Micro soft DID copy from Mac cuz neither help is really any help when you need it :laugh:

I suspect that the system doesn't set up the directory system before copying and when it hits an empty it can't find it - just a guess. when there are files in the directories the system sets up the directory and then copies stuff to it.

I learned commodore system, timex system, win 3.1, work groups, 95, 98 and xp and this mac os is a real mystery. Maybe I can't see over the top of the rut of windows :love2:

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean you never worked on a Wang? My first computer at work was a Wang. Wow, was it ever cumbersome! ;)

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Wang had a pretty fair market share at one point. One company I worked for had several NBI dedicated word processing systems. They were quite cool at the time, but WordPerfect and DOS quickly killed them.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a wang with ms win 3.1 on it. Slow as I am now :laugh:

Tried the apple key and it didn't work???? thinking Ebay is too good for these two machines :tongue3:

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, let's try again.

I burned my data files to a cdrom.

Put it in the mac laptop, open My_drive (the cd). Select one of the directories which is a cook book. The soup subdirectory is empty. I select cookbook and drag it to a new directory on the desktop called data.

It prepares to copy, then starts copying. After awhile the message tells me that it can't copy "soup" because it can't be found. I click continue and it finishes, however all directories and files that follow "S" alphabetically do not copy to the new directory.

So, I tried selecting all - apple key and "A" and try copy and it does the same thing.

I found that "Shift" and Tap will deselect or select. I tried select all, and shift/tap to deselect "Soup" and copy to new directory - same thing happens.

Surely this OS that is so much better than Windows can do a simple copy a directory with subdirectories and files to another drive.

What am I missing?

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I finally reinstalled the OS. It was a fresh install when I started working on it?? Anyway, after the reinstall it seems to be working.

?????? Won't argue with success :laugh: