1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Early interlinears

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bruce Metzger writes, "Interlinear translations into Old English begin to appear in the ninth and tenth centuries." The Bible in Translation pg. 56. From the context, I believe he is referring to Latin/English interlinears. Does anyone know of any early Greek/English interlinears and, if so, what Greek text was commonly used?

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he would have been referring to a Latin text with an Old English translation below or above that text.

I am not aware of any early Greek/English interlinears. Since William Tyndale is supposed to be the first one to translate from the Greek New Testament into English, it is not likely that there would be any before
    his time.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scholz's NT

I have an undated Greek-English NT that is not interlinear per se, but has parallel columns. It must be from around the middle of the 19th century, since the Greek is the text of M. A. Scholz, 1794-1852. That's probably as close as you'll come to a Greek-English interlinear until the 20th century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.