1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Easter Buns Crossed off the Menu

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ben W, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Balfours crosses off Easter buns from the menu
    By ANNA VLACH
    01apr06

A SOUTH Australian favourite - the Balfours hot cross bun - will be off the menu this Easter.

The nation's largest bakery has decided to stop producing its traditional and fruitless hot cross buns - believed to have been in the millions.

"It was a hard decision to drop a favourite, but it is for the long-term good of the business," marketing manager Melissa Emmett said yesterday.

"We need the machines and labour for other things."

Ms Emmett said Balfours was concentrating on supplying the national market with core products such as pies, pasties, sausage rolls and various cakes, which she said were the company's "bread and butter".

"We're now cementing ourselves in the market and we need lots of efficiencies to continually supply major retailers with high-quality products at a very good price," she said.

"We have picked up a lot of business in the past 18 months."

Ms Emmett said national distribution of "truly Balfours favourites" had secured jobs for 400 South Australians.

She said one of Balfours' longest-serving employees, process development manager Ian Gilmour, said he remembered Easter buns being made when he started working for the company in 1964.

"So they were around for a long time," she said.

Competitors are likely to cash in on Balfours' commercial decision.

Brumby's managing director Michael Sherlock said the Australia-wide franchise is expected to bake more than 10 million hot cross buns over the Easter period.

http://snipurl.com/ohpn

2. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

"Competitors are likely to cash in on Balfours' commercial decision."

Meaning they just commited suicide via business decision.

Did you post this because the Hot Crossed Buns have something to do with the tradition of Easter? What is the significance? I am just asking because we just eat ham at Easter after services.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hot Cross buns are a tradional Good Friday treat.

Glad we can still get them here ;) !

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I vaguely remember a sung nursery rhyme about "hot, crossed buns" but I had no idea as a child what they were.

Why ham? Was that to distinguish the Christians from the Jews?

Ham would have been left over from the autumn butchering traditionally. Would Easter have been too soon to roast a shoat?

5. emeraldctyangel

Pork is the more tender of meats according to my dad. He liked ham. So that is what we had. No real significance, or if there was, its long lost. Which is why these bannings of food due to religious value placed on them crack me up. I always wonder what the world will do when the last of the unbanned food is gone and all that is left is banned items? Food doesnt have much significance anyway...just fuel for the body.

I guess there shall be an upheaval when they stop making bread/wafers/or whatever you use for the body of Christ and wine/grape juice.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Meat was de-banned for Friday consumption by the RC. But there was a controversy recently as to whether a nonwheat host would count as the body of Christ for a kid who was on a life-saving gluten-free diet (wheat contains gluten). I don't know how it was resolved - body or soul - for the kid.

7. emeraldctyangel

Hmmm interesting. I put no stock in the banning of consumption of foods, unless it is for health reasons. Traditions evolve and most of the other stuff that the RC delves deep in is merely symbolic. Pass the hot cross buns and the gluten free wafers. I think Jesus would understand.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well, this is one of the reasons I think it is difficult to be a Roman Catholic - the host and the wine are NOT merely symbolic to them. One of the tenets of belief is "transubstantiation", that the bread becomes the actual body of Christ and that the wine becomes the actual blood.