1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eastern Orthodoxy and the wrath of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by RLBosley, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Getting it Right

Site Supporter

2. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus and His Apostles saw his death in the framework though of the Servant of the Lord, who died for sinners, and who experienced the wrath God will pour out on them!

4. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I disagree.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would be disagreeing with jesus himself them on this issue?

6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

No, because what you say that Jesus and the apostles taught, I say they did not. The earliest churches also said they did not. The churches of the first millennium A.D. said they did not. All of these churches had the same scriptures that we have.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God Justice demands that someone MUST die though to be judged for their sins, so if Jesus death was not in your place, to appease the holiness of God, then how can God freely judge a sinner as being now right enough to get to heaven then?

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very important points to you and me. Not so important for most of the folks on this board. What they believe about the scriptures overrides anything that the Early Church believed or practiced.

9. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Not only is penal substitution a horrible and unjust concept, it is not to be found until the Reformation. I would suggest you study the atonement views of the early church. What they believed is what they saw in scripture.

Not only is PSA wrong, it is also not logical. If Jesus died in our place, then we should not have to die.

10. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

One reason I could not be RCC or Orthodox is because both make tradition equal to scripture. However, I do take into account what the earliest churches and Christians believed, and so I study the early church "fathers", particularly the Greek fathers. Despite what others here want to believe, it is quite clear and supported by scholars that PSA was not taught in the early church or for 1500 years thereafter. I have posted links to articles which prove this. Neither was Satisfaction atonement taught until 1000 years later when Anselm invented it. Therefore, I find that the entire West is in error on the atonement, whether that is RCC or Protestant. Thankfully, there are some Protestants who hold to early church views, but some who do are unfortunately way too liberal in other areas. I have found that many of the Anabaptists held to early church views of the atonement, but some did not.

So, you might ask, why am I not Eastern Orthodox? Well, because I find some of their other doctrines and practices not scriptural. But I believe a lot of their basic views are those of the early churches.

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed, they are!