1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Education Considerations

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by EliTaft, Jul 5, 2017.

1. EliTaft

EliTaft New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm curious if any of you would have feedback / suggestions on what I'm considering.

I have a wife and four kids. I'm currently working as a computer programmer. I'm also a Bible teacher of a house church. I've been considering slowly making the transition from computer programming to instructing the college / university / seminary level. This would mean going back to school, but I'm not really sure the best course to take. I'm just kind of looking for a place to brainstorm a little bit and get some feedback on what I'm thinking through.

1. My real passion is theology, so I'm considering pursuing a doctorate-level theology degree. However, my time is limited and I'm really only interested in online education. I believe this rules out ATS accreditation, which is what most seminaries are interested in (so I've heard). So it sounds like the only option for me is to pursue this kind of degree from an online school whose accreditation might limit my options for teaching (at least as a full-time professor at an ATS Seminary).

2. It seems like it's becoming more common for professors to teach part-time, at least in the beginning, and not immediately have full-time positions at a single institution anyway. Many seem to teach at multiple institutions, so even if I received a doctorate degree from an ATS school, I might still have trouble finding a full-time teaching position starting out. And having a doctorate degree that ONLY has ATS, and not regional, might limit my options for finding part-time teaching at other schools. This causes me to wonder if it would be helpful to have some more diverse credentials (the next two points), so that if I could only find part-time teaching positions, I could perhaps also teach in a few other subject areas.

3. I already have a B.S. in Computer Science. If I went on to get a Master's, I could start teaching some programming courses.

4. I am fluent in German, and a Master's in Foreign Language (German) could perhaps get me started teaching a couple of German classes This degree might also help with a theology degree, depending on how much I'd focus on the German Protestant Reformation writings.

Thoughts?

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, the expertise in German might help open a few doors. Maybe a seminary is looking for a good German adjunct for their PhD prospects.

As for a full professorship, research and publishing are going to be key.