1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Effeminacy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elementary, actually.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I guess holding one accountable to actually apply the truth of his logical construct to all areas of his discourse is not deemed appropriate anymore? Oh, sorry. :love2:

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Well, your over-generalizations is what led to this problem.

Not ALL stay-at-home dads are effeminate.

I know some who are going to be the primary provider of the home, but they graduated before their wives and they stay at home for six months until their wives graduate.

If those men are extraordinary providers for the rest of their lives and manly in every way imaginable and raise awesome Christian children- are they effeminate because for six months they were stay at home dads?

Preposterous.

But this is the kind of malfunction that your brain has which leads to so many of your errors. It is made for swimming on the surface in the shallows; not for diving deep. Every time it tries to it malfunctions.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You know why what you are doing is inappropriate. It is the EXACT same thing Rippon did that you chided him for in the other thread.

Your posts do not contribute to the SUBJECT of this thread. They are designed to do nothing but hound me.

start a thread about it. I will meet you there. I love to debate this matter. You don't have to twist my arm- I PROMISE. But highjacking a thread because you have a bee in your bonnet is beneath what a moderator should be.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest it's illiteracy tinged with a bit of Feminism in the reader.

A stay-at-home dad, or, househusband, as they're sometimes called, is not one who stays home by necessity, just as no one thinks a stay-at-home moms or housewife is one by necessity. Not understanding that implication in the term is a bit back-woodsy.

That covers the suggestion of illiteracy.

The tinge of Feminism is the same as that which compels one to defend bobbed hair, bossy wives and women preachers.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

John R. Rice.

I read that book when I was 15.

I really thought it was something back then.

Now I think we get an idea of where you come from...

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I thought God would make you say that. :smilewinkgrin: Sorry, I couldn't resist....or could I?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never read it, but love the title, and would caution you against jumping to conclusions. You've no idea. :smilewinkgrin:

#48 Aaron, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

This post was in response to the false accusation against God, that He 'made them that way'. The fact that He listed effeminate as a sin, negates that supposition to any student possessing reason.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

But defining what scripture says in what we translate into English as “effeminate” is critical to your argument. God does certainly make some of us more manly than others.

11. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I've seen some of these types, but I'd compare them more to used car salesmen. Not effeminate but definitely narcissitic (sp?) At one of my first jobs out of college we regularly had the pastor of a large SBC church come in, always with a perfect appearance, always in a hurry, always arrogant. Needless to say that I was not surprised when years later I heard he was let go for an "inappropriate relationship", of course now he has been restored and is pastoring another local church.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did he wear a silk suit?:laugh:

13. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

This isn't a versions debate. The word "effeminate" is found in the OP. It is an English word. It is found in the English Bible. It is found in Spanish, in the Spanish Bible: "...ni los afeminados,..."

I speak English. If you would like to debate this topic with someone who speaks Koine Greek, invent a time machine. Or address the English wording at hand. Effeminate...damned.

14. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I can't remember, but had perfect teeth, perfect hair, big gold rings, reaked of cologne, etc. etc. I questioned if he was really Southern Baptist because he wasn't grossly overweight, he may have been one of them Bapticostals.

15. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I'd be considered a feminist here.

#55 evenifigoalone, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  16. North Carolina Tentmaker

If you want to stick to the topic the original topic was simply a question of does the word effeminacy deal with dress only or can it include mannerisms of speech or the way someone walks.

My short answer, yes it can.

If you want to expand that question and say that scripture calls effeminacy a sin then understanding what scripture says is relevant.

It is not about versions, it is about understanding what the Bible says, in English or any other language. The Bible does not say that having feminine qualities is wrong or sinful. It does say committing homosexual acts is.

17. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is 1 verse in the scriptures, with the word 'effeminate' in it. It begins , by damming a list of people, including effeminate people. So I don't see including the rest of the verse as a diversion from the topic.

Challenging the word effeminate, is a separate issue. Your argument would eliminate the need for this discussion completely, as it would remove the one mention of the word from scriptures.

One cannot be a believer, and read 1Cor.6:9, in the AV, and not see that God damns effeminacy. This is easy to establish, from the context within the very same verse.

Later, we find these same sissies born again, and no longer effeminate. So Regeneration cures effeminacy, like it does any other sin.
    Saying that God made some men effeminate then becomes blasphemy.

18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a child, child was taught, "Real men don't cry, because they rule the world."

When I was a youth, youth was taught, "Real men drive hot rods and ride motor cycles to show they control their own world."

When I was a young man, young man was taught, "Real men wear love beads and flowers to show others how to be at peace with the world."

When I was a not so young man, not so young man was taught, "Real men need to think like a woman, so she can have a say in the world."

When I was getting old, getting old man was taught, "Real men can look like a woman, so there is no differences in the world."

When I am old, I have learned, "Real men is and always has been a figment of my imagination - women have always ruled the world and man works hard for women."

Often men are destroyed by a scandal involving a woman (even a TV show by that name). Has there ever been a woman destroyed by a man?

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? Saying that we are by nature sinful is not typically classified as blasphemy (I don’t follow what you are stating here).

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lest someone reading the BB is unknowing:

The use of "effeminate" in 1 Corinthians 6 is the effeminacy as a result of perversion.

It is aligned with other condemnations of such perversions dealing with the sexual conducts of people.

It is not about how someone might be more aware of style, or colors, or what shirt goes with those pants...

Nor is it about the tenderness of heart, or the ability to demonstrate a certain "manly stride."

It isn't about cleaning house, changing diapers, washing dishes, or doing "woman's work." Nor is it about who brings in the most money.

What some consider effeminate is sometimes really dumb and nothing but culturally based bias.