1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Election... Fair/Unfair?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by tyndale1946, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

:rolleyes:

Actually, I don't. John 3:16 makes a statement. That statement is, essentially, whoever believes will be saved. I, and every other "Calvinist" believe that. However, we don't stop reading the Bible at John 3:16. We read the verses before and after it. That is why we believe not only John 3:16, but we also believe that regeneration is a sovereign act of God. We read in John 3:5-8:
    "Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at My saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

We believe in total depravity, in part, because of John 3:19-20:
    "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come to the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed."

So, Ray, I'm not adding. However, you are in danger of taking away.