1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Electoral college breakdown: McCain 274, Obama 264

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it is determined that a certain State or Commonwealth will go a certain color (red or blue) will some vote that way to say they voted for the winner. How many would say, it will be a close election in my State or Commonwealth so I will vote for McCain; but if my State or Commonwealth has a large margin for either one of the "major" candidates then I will vote for a third party.

This is why I would like to see electoral votes split within a State or Commonwealth.

My favorite plan would be on a % plan. First, whoever wins the State or Commonwealth would receive the two "Senate" votes. The rest would be allocated by % of popular vote.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

It's hard for me to believe that whoever produced this map is calling every state solid for one candidate or the other at this early stage. No states seem to be in play from their perspective.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The "Maine" Plan allocates two votes to the winner, statewide, and the remainder of the state's electoral votes by the winner of each Congressional district with one vote per district.

Currently Maine and Nebraska do it this way, and some other states, notably California, are considering this plan, as well.

I believe Colorado (and maybe a couple of others) is considering a "percentage" plan that I don't think is going to fly, frankly. Or at least I hope it doesn't. It is too close to a "back door' attempt to eliminate the Electors, IMO. However, if the legislature of a state decides to do it that way, I presume it would be constitutional.

I have no problem with the Maine Plan, as it somewhat "mirrors" the congressional races, by District.

Ed

#5 EdSutton, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008