1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Forsake: to quit or leave entirely; to desert; ; to abandon; to depart from.
    Webster 1828

Of course, we don't build doctrine on a dictionary, but this is the basic sense that the translators believed to be transmitted by the TR.
    If the Father left entirely, why did Jesus pray; 'deserted' or 'abandoned' is surely too strong a description; If the Father departed because of sin, why did Jesus ask 'why'?

#201 Rubato 1, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, rubato, I want to make sure you understand that I speak of the FATHER banishing sin from His presence. I believe that it was God the Son that walked with Adam.

[/quote]Didn't he hold at least two conversations with Satan, in His presence?[/quote] Again, in the OT there was no distinction between Father and Son. Son is often appeared as the "angel of God," Lord, etc. Did you notice that the examples you gave are all OT? IOW, it was the Son, no doubt, that told Noah how to build the ark and "wrestled" with Jacob. Do you see my point?

Hey, Jesus, was "amazed" too, was He not? He didn't cry that because the prophecy called for it --- He cried that because it was the truth!

skypair