1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ellen G. White a Prophet ?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by pinoybaptist, Aug 4, 2004.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread, Bob Ryan says Ellen G. White is a prophet, or regarded a prophet by his church, the 7th Day Adventists.

Now, a prophet may either be a forth-teller (a preacher) or a foreteller (one who prophecies of future events as revealed by God).

Now, SDA's will insist that they are Bible only believers. Does this mean they are sola scriptura ? Or do they use as additional reference for their belief and practices the writings and teachings of Ellen G. White ?

If they do, can it be truly said that Ellen G. White is a prophet of God, either as a foreteller of events, or as a teacher of righteousness (though this last is immediately off limits to women).

Question: Does Ellen G. White meet the tests of the Bible to qualify as a true prophet from God ?

Test 1 - When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously; thou shalt not be afraid of him. Deut. 18:22

Test 2 - Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD. Jer. 23:32

Test 3 - A Prophet Does Not Steal Somebody Else's Words

I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied. ... Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour. Jer. 23:25,30

Test 4 - Cannot Contradict God's Word

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; he is proud, knowing nothing...from such withdraw thyself. 1 Tim. 6:3-5

Test 5 - Must Bear Good Fruit

Beware of false prophets... Ye shall know them by their fruits. Matt. 7:15,16

Test 6 - Must Acknowledge Paul's writings as commandments

If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. 1 Cor. 14:37

Did Mrs. White follow Paul's commandments? Times have changed since Paul walked the earth, and women have a new status in the world. Nevertheless, if you want to interpret what Paul said literally, without making any special allowances for the culture during the 1st century A.D., then Mrs. White blatantly broke Paul's commandments. Just three verses earlier Paul gives his commandment regarding how women should act in the church:

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak...for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. 1 Cor. 14:34,35

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 1 Tim. 2:11,12

LINK HERE

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taken from the website of :

The 7th Day Adventist Church of Slobozia, Romania

27 Beliefs

SeventhDay Adventist Church - Slobozia, Romania

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A key test of a prophet according to Isaiah 8 is that the message they claim to have come from God must "Agree to the Law and the Testimony".

So "by definition" anyone of another Christian denomination would not consider Ellen White to be a prophet IF any of her messages from God were ever on a doctrinal point of difference between Adventist Christians and other Christians.

Adventists themselves would insist on this rule.

So the entire thread is pointless as it does not matter which way the discussion goes until the doctrines themselves are evaluated since Ellen White DID speak on a great number of doctrinal points claiming those messages came from God.

In Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rather than just "saying that" and having the mere "saying" as your proof. Let's have the Word of God state what God thinks a prophet is.

"IF there is a prophet among you I WILL make Myself known to them and communicate with them by dream or vision" Numbers 12.

Simply "forthtelling your way through life or on this board" does not make you a prophet nor indicate the 1Cor 12 Spirit given GIFT of prophecy for which we are commanded to pray in 1Cor 14:1.

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Woman prophets AND woman judges are well documented in both OT and NT.

I am not taking the time to go into that unless someone here really is not familiar with those texts.

In Christ,

Bob