1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Email from Obama on stem cell research

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 2, 2007.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Dear Sue:

Thank you for sharing with me your concern regarding embryonic stem cell research. I appreciate knowing of your strong feelings on this matter.

The issue of stem cell research is a contentious one due to strong opinions concerning the beginning of human life. I share your value for every human life and believe we need morally sound policy that protects and strengthens this value. That is why I believe we must ensure a quality education for all of our children, promote access to affordable health care for all individuals, and support work opportunities with a living wage for our workers. It is also why I support S.5/H.R.3 (S.471/H.R.810 during the 109th Congress), the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2007, which would lift the restriction on stem cell lines derived after August 9, 2001.

I appreciate that people of strong will and deep conviction differ on this highly consequential issue. Yet the effect of President Bush’s policy is to stall progress by limiting the availability of stem cell lines. While its stated intent is to make 78 embryonic stem cell lines available for research, the reality is that, due to unforeseen barriers, the National Institute of Health estimates that only 19 lines are available today. This is far below what is necessary for effective research.

Expanding the number of stem cell lines eligible for federally funded research is crucial for advancing the treatments for a wide range of diseases, and for bringing us closer to developing cures. And while we are seeing advancements in adult stem cell research, it is widely acknowledged that embryonic stem cell research is absolutely critical.

During the 109th Congress, a year after then-Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) expressed his public support for S. 471/H.R. 810, this bill finally came to the Senate floor for consideration. The bill, which had passed out of the House of Representatives in May 2005, passed the Senate with a 63-37 vote. Many senators with solid "pro-life" voting records joined me in voting for this bill, which demonstrates that support for increased stem cell research has diverged from the traditional pro-life debate. On July 19, 2006, President Bush vetoed this legislation, and the bill has yet to pass out of Congress during the new Congress.

Again, Sue, thank you for contacting me. Please know that while we disagree on this issue, I respect your opinion and understand your point of view. Please stay in touch in the days ahead.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
    United States Senator

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue, thanks for posting this.

This is one vote that he will not be getting. I won't vote for anyone who is not pro-life.

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me neither.

They've done wonderful things with adult stem cells, even ones that come from the patient themselves.

4. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I support his position completely, and I would love to vote for him, if he wins the Democratic nomination!

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sue

Thanks for posting.

It is good to know that you do not agree with the evil he stands for.

God bless

Wayne

6. billreber

billreber New Member

In fact, the last I heard, the adult stem cells were the ONLY ones that provided workable solutions to any problems. Embryonic stem cells have not.

Bill

7. I Am Blessed 24

They have been using embryonic stem cells for a long time for research. They have only lately started tapping into the adult stem cell research and I think that's where they need to stay!

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I'm with you on this. Again.

9. I Am Blessed 24

Sad.............. :tear:

10. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Same reason I won't vote for Rudy Giuliani. If the Republicans want to win, they'll have to throw away all the conservative vote and become like the Democrats, pro-gay, pro-choice, pro-gun control, etc., and then they might get enough of the Democrat vote to win. This might eventually open the door for a multiple party system that can end this two-party nonsense.

11. I Am Blessed 24

You mean an aborted BABY???

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Aborted babies/fetuses aren't the same discussion at all. By the time the fetus has developed, the stem cells are considered mature ("adult").

The cells in question are harvested from embroyos, and are generally obtained from fertility clinics - more eggs than are needed are fertilized, and the "leftovers" are frozen.

Some embroyos end up being destroyed through malfunction or mishandling, some are washed down the sink.

IMHO, and it is only my opinion, better to benefit humanity than end up in the sewer system.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Because this goes against a basic premise of the Christian faith: People do not have value simply because of their usefulness to society. People matter to God, because they are His creation, not based upon their "usefulness."

Without this view, we would kill off many in our nursing homes, institutions, etc.

I thoroughly reject a utilitarian approach to this issue.

14. I Am Blessed 24

TP: You mean the following is not talking about babies?

LINK

It shoudl NEVER be permissible to kill some persons in order to help other persons.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, IAB, your argument is with fertility clinics, not with stem cell researchers.

16. I Am Blessed 24

My argument is with the lawmakers, and politicians who vote for these laws that make this kind of research (baby stem-cell) possible.

There are plenty of adult stem cells to perform the much-needed research.

God never called a baby an embryo or a fetus. To do so takes away the human quality of life and makes harvesting of stem cells from babies easier.

The bottom line is when does 'life' occur. God answered that clearly in the Bible, but there are those who refuse to believe it and will answer to God for it one day.

17. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Besides the fact that there had never been a benefit to embryonic stem cell research, the new source of stem cells is cloning. It is now constitutionally mandated in Missouri that we clone human embryos, terminate, and harvest stem cells.

Our "pro-life" Republican, Baptist Governor was all for it.

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

How is a cloned embroyo any less human than a naturally-produced one?

19. I Am Blessed 24

I thought human cloning was against the law in ALL the states?

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

The original gets the soul?

I don't know, maybe God does ensoul cloned embryos.