1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emotive Quality of the KJV that I think exists.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Guido, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is, present in the King James Bible, in every phrase of every sentence of every book, as a varying element of each voice of the books, a certain emotive quality, which seems to constitute at least in part its rhythm. This is an idea I have from considering the stylistic motives of the translators. Maybe this is what is meant by tone in writing.

So, for instance, in the book of Romans, we find this phrase:

“I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all”.

I thank my God, apart from meaning thankful, sounds thankful.

For you all, “apart form meaning “for you all”, sounds “for you all”.

A better example would be this:

“For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them which are the called according to his purpose.”

Obviously, every single phrase sounds like what it means, and you can’t say it’s the meaning of the words, because this means basically about the same thing and doesn’t have the same emotive quality:

“For everything works out for God-lovers who God choose to accomplish His purpose”

Sorry, I did not mean to change the Bible. I am not claiming that this is the Bible.

What is your opinion about this?

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree...
    And to me, it is thankful.
    As a paraphrase?
    That is essentially how I understand the passage that you referred to...Romans 8:28.

As for the OP:

I'm a relatively older guy, so I I'm not really familiar with the term, "emotive quality" ...
    But at a guess, I think you're referring to what we afore-mentioned "older guys" call " "pulling at the heart strings" or "evoking emotion". ;)
    I'm also of the opinion that the Bible itself does this, not just in the KJV.

After all, it is written to those that believe ( Romans 15:4 ).:)
    No one else would believe it.

• Like Like x 1