1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Encouraging another Christian to stumble?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by canadyjd, May 9, 2009.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    May God bless and strengthen you to be a witness to His power in you, that others might know the peace you now possess.

peace to you:praying:

2. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in your mind, for me to say that it is wrong to encourage a brother in Christ to violate his conscience and drink alcohol, when he has just admitted that he struggles with alcohol...is a "very, very, bad opinion..."?

Please take a deep breath and look at what you are saying.

3. historyb

historyb New Member

Drinking is not a sin, Drunkenness is. Alcohol was drunken very much in the Bible and the very Scriptures that we believe are inspired recommends a little wine for the stomach and the last supper was not grape juice, it was wine.

I understand if something is a sin to someone, but no one should bind another conscience over it. No one should be made to feel guilty over someone else's ideas or personal sins yet in modern Christianity that has happened, if something that is not forbidden in Scriptures is a personal sin to you than it is just that just to you. But it is not a sin over everyone.

I don't drink but I will defend a brothers right to do it without them feeling guilty, in that thread it is unclear weather the gentlemen was being convicted or was having a guilt trip from someone's opinion. So I told him it is not a sin any where in Scripture to drink, yet canadyjd decided on his own that it was and hurl judgment at me. That I will not put up with at all, he has his opinions and I have mine and canadyjd tried to lord his opinion over me by appearing holy by misapporiately using Scripture

#23 historyb, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Allan. I hadn't dealt with historyb before.

5. historyb

historyb New Member

I know a forum full of Christians

Alcohol does not do any of this, Alcohol is neutral. That is as silly as saying a gun kills, neither do anything. It is the drunkard that tears up families.

6. historyb

historyb New Member

You did not go through the thread. For you to say drinking is a sin is wrong and un scriptural and you really have no idea what the gentlemen meant but took the opportunity to lord your judgment over others.

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thread is not about whether drinking alcohol is a sin.

The thread is about whether it is a sin to encourage someone to drink alcohol who has just admitted they struggle with alcohol and believe drinking alcohol is a sin.

That is encouraging a fellow Christian to violate their conscience and that is specifically identified as a sin against Christ in I Cor. 8:12.

#27 canadyjd, May 9, 2009
  8. historyb

historyb New Member

I never did that, another example of your Pharisaical judgment. It is not a sin to drink and that was what I was telling him, you came in with your judgmental Pharisaical attitude and tried to act all holy as if I did something wrong and I did not.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no idea of my motivation. Your non-stop personal attack is just silly.

Deal with the passage of scripture. I Cor 8:12 specifically identifies as a sin against Christ to encourage a fellow Christian to violate their conscience.

10. historyb

historyb New Member

I didn't, end of conversation bub

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So...you agree that I Cor. 8:12 teaches us not to encourage a fellow Christian to violate their conscience?

12. historyb

historyb New Member

Did I ever say it didn't, you come in with guns blazing not even understanding my post. I was telling him drinking was not a sin overall, I no longer can interact with you and will put you on ignore until you deliver an apology for unjustly judging me.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    and
    This fellow Christian clearly stated he was struggling with drinking. That he viewed it as sin. That he viewed it as something God wanted him to stop doing.

You said, "be assured drinking is not a sin".

Whether you can see it or not, or whether you have the character to admit it or not, or whether you can do anything but attack people personally or not,....

....your comment to him is encouraging a brother in Christ to violate his conscience at the very moment he is reaching out for help...and that violates the command found in I Cor. 8: 12 against such action which is described as a sin against Christ.

All your whining about "holy than thous" and "pharisical judgments" and "I did nothing wrong" won't change the fact you are wrong.

Now deal with it or grab your pacifier. Either way, quit whining.

#33 canadyjd, May 9, 2009
  14. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause::applause::applause:

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ignore? Really? A little childish, don't you think? Oh, feel free to put me on your ignore list because of this comment, because I truly don't care. If you feel the need to advertise that you've put somebody on an ignore list, then you really need to grow up.

As to the OP, does James 4:17 shed any light on the situation?