1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Entering or invited?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jan 18, 2022.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the what. But I am wondering about the how.

Calvinism depends on the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement. I realize that there is a move away from the theory within Calvinism, however that would change the system all together. Without Penal Substitution Theory Calvinism (and Arminianism) falls apart.

So, if Christ’s death is effective for the elect, and if their sins are forgiven based on their sins being laid upon Christ, then what about the “non-elect”? If Christ did not die for their sins, then Christ’s death does not substantiate a legitimate “general” call.

I get the answer that the gospel message is a “general call”. But in reality, if Christ did not die for their sins, it is a general call to nothing.

This is what I was asking @Martin Marprelate . What exactly backs up this general call (what part of Christ's work is for those who will not be saved)?

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have made posts similar to this one so many times that is is starting to become wearisome to me, and, I'm sure, to those who take the trouble to read them. However, having been requested, I will trot it all out again in a slightly different fashion.

Definite Atonement is found in may places in the Bible, but most evidently in John 6:39 and similar verses throughout John's Gospel. God the Father has willed that a vast number of people should be saved. He has given these to the Son to redeem, and the Son will lose not even one of them.
    But the very next verse tells us that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life and that this also is the Father's will, and verse 37 tells us that no one who comes to Christ will ever be turned away.

Now since it is the Lord Jesus Christ who tells us these things, It seems to me that we ought to believe them. But some people seem to be worried in case one of the non-elect sneak into heaven while God isn't looking. I think they should let God worry about that. Others raise their eyebrows like Dr Spock and say, "Captain, this is illogical." Again, it is the Lord Himself who tells us these things and it is not our place to argue with the Almighty, but to believe Him and to obey Him.

Therefore I shall continue to proclaim Christ to whomever I have the opportunity and bid them come to Him. That is my work and the work of every Christian. Salvation is God's work, but He has chosen to use the foolishness of preaching to save those who believe, who will, miraculously, turn out to be those who were chosen by the Father, redeemed by the Son and drawn by the Spirit..