1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entertainment sinful?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OCC, Jul 16, 2005.

1. OCC

OCC Guest

Since another thread was shut down after my comments, but not after someone else took it off on a tangent first...then I am starting another thread.

Is entertainment sinful? Why or why not?

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Unfortunately I have to fall on President Clinton's famous argument. It depends on what the meaning of the word "entertainment" is [​IMG]

If I had to give an answer based soley on your question then I would have to say yes and no. There is some entertainment that is perfectly okay and there is other entertainment that we need to avoid.

3. OCC

OCC Guest

Thanks for your answer J.Jump. I have been condemned as an enemy of God and a friend of the world for thinking music can be entertaining at the same time glorifying to God. And for thinking it was ok to be entertained by sports.

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Speaking purely hypothetically, I think that amusement is not inherantly bad. People need to physically and mentally relax, and one of the best ways of doing this is to do some activity that is enjoyable but not necessarily useful--also known as playing! :D I don't think that there's any problem with doing things for fun as long as that activity is not sinful in itself and as long as we do not become so addicted to that activity that it takes us away from other things that we ought to do.

5. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

God blesses some of us with the time and ability to entertain ourselves, of which we should be very thankful. I have, over the past few years, with encouragement, support of my church family and the Word, begun making somewhat better decisions regarding the time I have to entertain myself and my family.

I have noticed something in simply "filtering" television shows based on their ratings (nothing PG or above, and nothing with violence, dirty language, etc.) Many of the network shows are blocked due to content, and predictably, the shows on the Christian channels typically come through always. The thing I didn't expect is that all the sports shows come through, too.

Sports can sometimes be violent and sports stars are probably idolized too much, but I believe it is a better source of entertainment than many shows. Of course, if I were stronger as a Christian, I imagine I could turn the TV completely off and never watch it again.

I like that Paul mentions sports analogies(boxing, running) in the Bible. I also think some athletes can typify or set a good example of how we are to sacrifice our bodies for the sake of Christ. I recently watched an old VHS tape where the 1991 Chicago Bulls pray the Lord's Prayer after they won their first championship. It was inspiring to me.

Don't get me started on most movies today. It's been awhile since I have been to one. And it's not because of the price of the popcorn! I once just walked out of them when they got too nasty, But now I have just saved myself the drive and the price of the ticket, by not going at all.

As for music, I think both the performers and the listeners can benefit spiritually from listening to music with the right message. Singing and music used to worship God is very frequently mentioned in the Word as an acceptable way to worship God.

My 2 cents.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Christianity 101:

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever thengs are noble, whatever theings are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy---meditate on these things. Phillipians 4:8

So where within that verse does your entertainment lie?

7. OCC

OCC Guest

Baseball!

8. OCC

OCC Guest

LovesJesus, thank you for sharing your 2 cents worth. It was a very excellent post and one I totally agree with. [​IMG]

9. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Dunno, you tell me where it says there that it's ok to sleep. Seems you're on shakey ground. I hope you're not planning on sleeping tonight.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Psalms 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

11. menageriekeeper

Well that's funny Pertrel, since when did sleeping count as entertainment? Unless you're a teenager who sleeps to escape his "tormented" life, sleeping is a life necessity, like breathing.

12. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Good one, DHK!

Exactly my point. Relaxation and fun are a life necessity too. Like sleep, amusement appears to be doing nothing but taking us away from doing something productive. However, if we don't have that time to relax, we get so stressed out that we're good for nothing and can sabotage our own efforts at ministry.

I often find sleep amusing, by the way, because I have vivid, "Alice in Wonderland"-like dreams. [​IMG]

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

King James---I shut your thread down because of the direction the subject had taken. The implication of your other thread was----"Emotions in Worship"----and had nothing to do with entertainment in general.

Is entertainment sinful??? Again--as the other posters have said--it depends! I can take a deck of cards and play "Boo Ray" with the "boys" on Saturday nite---keeping simple score with pencil and note pad---no harm----then again on the other hand---I could be playing "Nickel Annie" or shuffle over to play Poker with real money in the realm of gambling----its sinful!! So----your question is seen as sorta a "Catch 22"---if we say yes---we get "crowned"---if we say no we get "crowned"----you are pursing air down a dead end street!!!

Blackbird

14. menageriekeeper

So where then is the problem with the scripture I quoted?

I don't have a problem with either relaxation or entertainment---within the bounds given.

King James likes baseball. He didn't specify whether he likes to play or watch. So lets look at it both ways in the context of that one little verse. Can we find something that is pure, just, lovely, of good report, virtous or praiseworthy about baseball? I can think of a few things that match one or more of the critera given about either watching or playing. Hmmm, seems baseball isn't a problem.

Now if King James said he liked to get high on cocaine for entertainment, I believe he'd have a problem!

My theological ground isn't nearly as shaky as it might seem.

btw, I enjoy baseball too. [​IMG]

15. OCC

OCC Guest

"So----your question is seen as sorta a "Catch 22"---if we say yes---we get "crowned"---if we say no we get "crowned"----you are pursing air down a dead end street!!!"

That is a false charge. And if you really believe it, maybe you should do what another Moderator suggested to me...get a thicker skin.

Yes, the thread took on a different direction but who started that? It sure wasn't me. Why didn't you shut it down the second the Moderator took it in a different direction? I know why. Cuz I'm not "popular" here, I expose hypocrisy and injustice and it frankly ticks people off. That is why. By the way...according to the other moderator...you cannot play cards with the boys. That is being an enemy of God.

I try to contribute as much as anybody on this site but when someone provokes me or attacks me, I fight back. If you don't like that...stop them from doing it before I have to reply myself.

16. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL menageriekeeper...I would agree. Getting high on coke would not be right. Watching or playing baseball is ok. [​IMG]

17. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Ahh, I see, I thought that you were one of those who say that anything done simply for fun and not for any higher purpose is a waste of valuable time!

And I agree cocaine is right out. ;)

18. OCC

OCC Guest

No anything that is not sinful is ok. But I am not convinced that clean entertainment and baseball are sinful. Though the dude who condemned me as an enemy of God is absolutely certain. :rolleyes: [​IMG]

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

If you choose to fight back---each of your post will be edited(and deleted if need be) immediately. Please refrain from threats!

Blackbird

20. OCC

OCC Guest

"If you choose to fight back---each of your post will be edited(and deleted if need be) immediately. Please refrain from threats!

Blackbird"

No threats. Simply saying that if the Moderators don't do anything about it, then I will defend myself. How does that make ME the bad guy? :confused: I would really like to understand the reasoning there. This is one time where I don't want to be right in guessing what the reason is. Now...will the people who provoke me have their posts edited and deleted or will it just be me???