1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eph. 1: Does it support Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jun 28, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then what's the problem? Just change your profile to make the naysayers happy:type:

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well then all those in other denominations should be allowed here also. I like several of them on that thread.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I can't find the frame to change it. It use to be in profiles. am I overlooking it?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think everyone understands. My church is Lake Ridge Church. We are part of the SBC. Even though we don't have the word "baptist", (Lake Ridge Baptist Church), we are still a baptist church. I think this is what James is referring to (correct me if I'm wrong, James). The problem I see, is the "non denominational" being listed in the profile instead of "baptist". A change to the correct denomination on James' profile will fix this.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can't find it either. Maybe a moderator has to change it.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

not so because they are of other denominations. My wifes church before we were married didn't have baptist in the name. But they were baptist in doctrine.

What aren't allowed here are Methodists, Presbyterians etc.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am not the one who says that anyone can stay or go. I just saw them kick others off because they don't have the name Baptist on their church. Maybe there is exceptions for some how would I know. I am just going by how I have seen them do in the past. I really don't care if he stays. :laugh: :laugh: Are they part of this new group that is removing the name Baptist?? I for one love the name Baptist.

#47 Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, are you a baptist worshiper?
    Just kidding!!!!
    But I hope I can use that to point to something in a friendly way.
    Calvanists, which I can take or leave the term, call themselves such because it represents certain beliefs. It is just a simple doctrinal statement, just like Baptist.
    I like the name Baptist too. I think it is nice because people driving by know you aren't Church of Christ or something else. That said, it isn't that important and it is the doctrine that counts.
    So, I think what happpens on this board, is people say, "hey, I am baptist in doctrine, just not on the Church sign". and the mods say, "ok"

That is what I would guess happens.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It really makes no difference what is on the door, it's what's inside the door that counts.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If someone pasted something else on the door of our church he better be moving real fast, like calvinism or something.:laugh: :laugh:

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

If you are a member of a church that is fully Baptist in its doctrine (an easy indicator, but not limited to this, would be if your church is a member of a local, state, or national Baptist association), but it does not use the word Baptist in its name it should be no problem for you to post in the Baptist Only section of the BB. To confirm this it would be best if you would PM a BB Administrator or the Webmaster.

To update your profile look at the top part of the screen when you are logged into the BB. There are two bluish/gray bars. The top one says Home; Calendar; FAQ; etc. The second one says User CP (that's User Control Panel); New Posts; Search; etc. Click on the User CP link update your profile info to reflect what you want and save it. Simple.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-boy,
    Forum Moderator

12. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I do not view Calvins writings as Scripture inspired by God. :laugh: I do not equate what Calvin wrote with any book of the Bible. :thumbs:

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

...And now hear this....
    and maybe for the 1st time understand.

Nor do Calvinist. :smilewinkgrin:

Get it?

Yet?

Now..would anyone like to take up the subject of the OP?

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Saying Calvinism is the Gospel is like saying the doctrine of the trinity is Biblical.

The point is only that Calvinists think that the doctrine that represents is a Biblical doctrine. We do NOT worship John Calvin. We do not replace the Bible with his writings, which I have not even read.

So please forget about all of that stuff and discuss the Bible .
    Thanks.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Main Entry: Cal·vin·ism [​IMG]
    Pronunciation: 'kal-v&-"ni-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: John Calvin
    : the theological system of Calvin and his followers marked by strong emphasis on the sovereignty of God, the depravity of mankind, and the doctrine of predestination

You are asking us to deny what the word really means. As long as you use the name you will carry the baggage of John Calvin. It can't be helped you are using a name of a theology that is recognized in history. :wavey:

You use the word and call it POINTLESS??:laugh: :laugh:

#55 Brother Bob, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  16. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Okay. But, in the previous post it sure appeared as though you were saying: (paraphrase) "If I can't read Calvin, then you can't read Ecclesiastes".

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:cool: :cool:

God Bless you Blammo, I say this matter is closed.

Bob,

I will not be carry away with pointless post. Do you have anything to say about the subject? We were at one time talking about Eph 1. What are your views. Please break it down for us as you see it.

In Christ...James

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I never called anyone "mean", you did. I only offer everyone the emphatic Word of God in clarity. One isn't holy and w/o blame before Him in love until "IN HIM" and until "IN HIM" we are simply NOT "IN HIM".

Yes, but I'd rather grin and bare it. One should do further study to the ethical meaning of "before the foundations of the world". The passage is not speaking of the earth, but the foundation of the evil world's system which is at enminty with God who chose all that become "IN HIM" to be holy and w/o blame. it could mean nothing else, unless you or anyone tries to advocate that the "elect" are chosen in him and are always holy and without blame and thereby can and will merit salvation. If that were the case, then the rest following in chapter 2 is not Truth. One would not need the Saviour if they were always holy and w/o blame.

I did say "borderline". The heretick continues to believe the heresy after being enlightened by the Lord. I have no power to enlighten anyone, but if God will use me, then Glory be to God!!!

I'm not that rash, friend, and allow as a true Baptist the right for anyone to believe anything they wish under the guise of the priesthood of the believer as long as they dont try to advocate their heretical beliefs in our church.

I think "REPENT! REPENT!" would better fit a person's real need since they believe something so diamtrically opposed to sound doctrine.

I have a better idea, let's not insinuate anything and address only exactly what is said. I have not called anyone a name. You are one who wishes to remain "cool", well, I'd rather be ice cold or red hot. "Cool" is too much likened to being lukewarm.:smilewinkgrin:

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Already did on the thread for all to see. Help yourself.:applause:

What will your church say to you that you are listing yourself as a Baptist here but not in your church?:type:

#59 Brother Bob, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please return to discussing the opening post. Otherwise, the thread will be closed.

rsr